Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2419574 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #10755 on: July 27, 2011, 08:24:39 pm »

I dont see how it could be called anything close to complicated.

More valuable resources require more valuable tools to harvest. Everything can be broken with your hands anyway because you can always find your way to the surface if you find yourself stranded underground without any tools. Cosmetic blocks have weird requirements because they are cosmetic, taking no part in the challenge of resource harvesting.

Everything has a straightforward reason for why it works in a gameplay sense. It only gets complicated when you try to add weird real world effects to it. Gold is a bit weird if only because we dont have many non-pick uses for it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10756 on: July 27, 2011, 08:33:44 pm »

Everything has a straightforward reason for why it works in a gameplay sense. It only gets complicated when you try to add weird real world effects to it. Gold is a bit weird if only because we dont have many non-pick uses for it.
But there's where things go wrong.  It'd be less complicated if there were more real world effects involved.
See an ore?  You can mine it!
(We'll just assume you have the skill for it -- maybe that would be where the levels he's implementing for 1.8 come into play -- the arbitrary requirement of having a pickaxe that is a tier down from the ore you're trying to mine remains unexplainable except as, just that, arbitrary game abstractions that just serve to complicate the game marginally)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10757 on: July 27, 2011, 08:48:06 pm »

This is assuming that one takes a real world approach to ores for no apparent reason other than you see the word ore and want it to behave like one. Its a raw resource that needs to be refined. Being a more valuable substance and wanting players to climb the ladder one resource at a time it can only be harvested with the directly lower tier resource tool. Simple. It would be fun to monkey around with alternate resource harvesting methods but to make resource advancement work in a decent way you would need some other system to restrict what you can use in an arguably more complex way, if only marginally.

Perhaps an iron furnace or anvil, required to work with diamonds and purify gold correctly. You can mine all ore just fine while needing some advancement with acquiring enough iorn to build the right tools for using those resources. Not terribly less arbitrary than the idea of tiers needed in a ladder shaped pattern, but closer to your ideal of realism. I would argue the tiers are simpler than this but its really splitting hairs by this point.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10758 on: July 28, 2011, 12:43:37 am »

You don't need a diamond pick to dig obsidian, only to collect the block.

I believe that this was proved wrong both in practice and mathematically. Either way, keeping a greifer busy for such a long time is a + in it's own way.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #10759 on: July 28, 2011, 12:48:19 am »

You don't need a diamond pick to dig obsidian, only to collect the block.

I believe that this was proved wrong both in practice and mathematically. Either way, keeping a greifer busy for such a long time is a + in it's own way.
Nope, you can mine out obsidian with your fist. Although it takes around 30-60 seconds to do it.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10760 on: July 28, 2011, 01:34:26 am »

There's no such thing as a griefer-proof house, and I'm not sure why you'd even have to ask about that. If it can be built, it can be unbuilt.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10761 on: July 28, 2011, 01:38:53 am »

double obsidian walls with magma sources in between would be kinda hard to get through.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10762 on: July 28, 2011, 01:46:44 am »

There's no such thing as a griefer-proof house, and I'm not sure why you'd even have to ask about that. If it can be built, it can be unbuilt.

Well it's pretty much a standard for servers to have anti griefing measures and using those you can make a greifer proof house. I think one of them has obsidian cannot be broken by anyone.

You can also get an admin to give you some bedrock, making it rather easy.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #10763 on: July 28, 2011, 03:22:07 am »

Minecraft with the same geological detail as DF would be way cooler.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10764 on: July 28, 2011, 11:22:00 am »

double obsidian walls with magma sources in between would be kinda hard to get through.

Assuming no server mods, mine the outer layer of obsidian, then rapidly place a dirt block behind it to kill the magma source block there. Mine out said dirt block, and IIRC no magma should be capable of flooding out. At which point, you can mine the inner wall, add a dirt block above your new tunnel to stop magma falling on your head, and volia, a safe tunnel. Expand from 1x1 to 2x1 and you're in! Multi-layer magma might be harder, but only a bit.

Alternately, come in through the roof. Only needs a 1x1 hole, and best of all, you're totally safe from magma while digging it! (Plus, if all you want to do is grief the house, not steal its items, letting magma in through the ceiling is pretty much all you'd need to do. No fancy engineering or buckets required!  :P )

Alternately alternately, figure out how you get in. Iron doors are cute but easily destroyed. Redstone circuits to open them, meanwhile, can be traced - if they're outside the house, you can bypass them, and if they're inside the house, you can follow the circuitry inside. And if you have to use your own diamond pick to overcome your own defenses, then you're making your own life a lot harder in exchange for a minimal level of protection.

So, no. Unless you've got block-protection server mods, there's no way to delay a griefer for more than a few minutes. The best you can hope for is that a griefer sees your house and goes, "Nah, more fun to be had elsewhere" instead of "Wow, that house is well protected. Must be really valuable stuff inside!"

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10765 on: July 28, 2011, 11:54:21 am »

Wow, Notch put up a very clever twitter post...
Game design 101! 1: Post screenshot of new mob. 2: Read speculation. 3: Implement the cool stuff, pretend it was the plan all along
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10766 on: July 28, 2011, 12:01:00 pm »

So, no. Unless you've got block-protection server mods, there's no way to delay a griefer for more than a few minutes. The best you can hope for is that a griefer sees your house and goes, "Nah, more fun to be had elsewhere" instead of "Wow, that house is well protected. Must be really valuable stuff inside!"
Or, "Wow, they must have taken a long time to build that.. let's bring it down."
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10767 on: July 28, 2011, 12:01:23 pm »

Wow, Notch put up a very clever twitter post...
Game design 101! 1: Post screenshot of new mob. 2: Read speculation. 3: Implement the cool stuff, pretend it was the plan all along

That's a very good idea.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10768 on: July 28, 2011, 04:17:18 pm »

Quote from: Notch
The Endermen are peaceful. If you look straight at them, they freeze and look at you. When you look away again, they run fast. And teleport.

So less bricks shall be sh-
Quote from: Notch
They run TOWARDS you, not away. So if you happen to look at one, do not look away.

Well fuck.
*Hugs*

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #10769 on: July 28, 2011, 04:18:14 pm »

Sounds like fun. *Builds higher walls.*
Pages: 1 ... 716 717 [718] 719 720 ... 1380