Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2420332 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #10530 on: July 05, 2011, 08:49:21 pm »

Mods have done pretty much anything. I give notch a thumbs up for bringing us this :)

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10531 on: July 05, 2011, 08:55:06 pm »

Really excited about this.
I hope most the stuff such as the improved dungeons and npc villages and other features will also be available in the standart game mode.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #10532 on: July 05, 2011, 08:56:41 pm »

Really excited about this.
I hope most the stuff such as the improved dungeons and npc villages and other features will also be available in the standart game mode.

as i understand it'll be the new standard game mode, at least eventually
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 09:23:43 pm by SolarShado »
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10533 on: July 05, 2011, 09:14:37 pm »

No, it will be a new game mode.
I don't have a link right now to prove it but it's true.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10534 on: July 05, 2011, 10:13:32 pm »

Nope, it's not a new game mode and I have a tweeter post to prove it:

notch Markus Persson
@rustycunts Thanks, please don't exploWHAT THE HELL KIND OF TWITTER NAME IS THAT!?!? AAAHHH!!!

Woops, nope, not that one.

The update is pretty big, and will change a lot of how Minecraft is played, focusing on making exploration and combat much more rewarding, and bringing in a bigger sense of adventure to the game.
He never mentioned anything about it being a new game mode. He mentioned adding creative mode to the client tho.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10535 on: July 05, 2011, 10:27:58 pm »

It just occurred to me, cactus + stick pistons = some seriously dangerous traps?

Griefing just got a lot more interesting.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10536 on: July 05, 2011, 10:32:10 pm »

Hey guys, i kind of always hated the way admins force specefic aspects of gameplay, such as being nice to each other and not destroying stuff.
I did a thought experiment.

Spoiler: Lengthy Stuff (click to show/hide)

Please respond to this, it took time to write.
Issues:

1. Cities don't actually do anything. There's some RP value, of course, but for the most part the whole setup is "obey these arbitrary rules and give us your stuff so you can hang out near pretty structures with no practical benefit." That's going to get old fast, especially if the style or theme isn't to the player's particular tastes.

2. You need godlike knowledge to enforce anything. The vast majority of actions that aren't allowed are untraceable or easy to lie about unless you've got plugins to help the mods. This is somewhat at odds with your plan of everything being player enforced, but without having mods on hand to rat everyone out, there's really no way to tell who did what. This results in a rather strange setup, wherein players are informed of each others' crimes by divine law, at which point it's up to them to... well, that brings us to our next point.

3. You need godlike power to enforce anything. As a player, you can hit someone when they're online, vandalize anything you feel they own, and loot possessions they leave lying around. That's it. You can't really imprison them, confiscate goods, levy fines, impose restrictions, or in any way affect them that a creeper couldn't. So, once again, we get to "this mod is using a mod-enabled command to teleport someone to our plugin-protected jail on some different player's whim," which is rather strange.

4. There's nothing to do in the city. So, you've got this nice city where nobody's allowed to craft anything or have weapons. Now what? Does everyone just chop wood all day to pay for rent, so it can be redistributed to theoretical newbies? Do they venture unarmed into caverns to search for items to dump into the communal chest?

5. Who's going to care if they get punished? I'm not sure I fully understand what the point of imprisoning thieves or fining murderers is, and I'm positive I don't see the downside to being executed. Wouldn't most of the people who break said rules be griefers anyway, who will just go on griefing until they're banned, and just not bother to log on until they're out of jail the rest of the time? What sort of upstanding citizen who actually cares about the server is going to assault and murder someone else, or go through peoples' houses looting their possessions?

It just occurred to me, cactus + stick pistons = some seriously dangerous traps?

I think they turn into items when that happens, but I'm not certain. I'm pretty sure there was a reason you couldn't do that, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10537 on: July 05, 2011, 10:35:11 pm »

Nope, it's not a new game mode and I have a tweeter post to prove it:

notch Markus Persson
@rustycunts Thanks, please don't exploWHAT THE HELL KIND OF TWITTER NAME IS THAT!?!? AAAHHH!!!

Woops, nope, not that one.

The update is pretty big, and will change a lot of how Minecraft is played, focusing on making exploration and combat much more rewarding, and bringing in a bigger sense of adventure to the game.
He never mentioned anything about it being a new game mode. He mentioned adding creative mode to the client tho.

Hmm I was pretty sure he said something about it being "pretty much its own game".
Guess I was wrong.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10538 on: July 05, 2011, 10:58:55 pm »

I think there was talk of an adventure mode a long time ago, where you couldn't edit blocks and other stuff like that to make it more adventurey, but it seems that that has been scrapped in favor of this update.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10539 on: July 05, 2011, 11:15:44 pm »

I think there was talk of an adventure mode a long time ago, where you couldn't edit blocks and other stuff like that to make it more adventurey, but it seems that that has been scrapped in favor of this update.
You mean this?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10540 on: July 05, 2011, 11:41:18 pm »

Yeah, what I'm talking about is referred to here.  That mod looks like it's basically an implementation of that game mode though.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10541 on: July 06, 2011, 12:09:55 am »

I think I recall him mentioning something about an adventure or exploration mode a long time ago.

I remember Notch also discussing some kind of zombie invasion mode or event, much in line with Terraria's blood moon implementation. Though this was discussed some time last year. I can't find any mention of it though.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10542 on: July 06, 2011, 01:02:06 am »

Yeah, that was a long time ago.

He never mentioned it for this adventure update. He only made it clear it's part of how minecraft will be at release.

Fakeedit: The only problem I see is that npcs are annoying to kill with lag. He needs to work on his network code a bit more.

electronics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Minecraft Address of the server
« Reply #10543 on: July 06, 2011, 01:23:37 am »

I liek almost all of it except these two:
7. A citizen can posess basic tools like shovels, hoes and pickaxes, however they must not posess weapons of any kind, swords, bows axes. And must not posess potentially dangerous tools such as buckets and fire kits. A persons habitat may feature storage faccilities, non-flammable lightning and stoves, crafting benches are restricted to crafters due to the potentially dangerous items you can procure with such faccility. Breaking this law is subject to fines, and in serious cases, imprisonment.
8. The communal share is for purposes of helping the new comer, the poor, the unestablished and for maintainence and security, treasury and fine crafts are the mayor's possesion and may be used in trades with privates and other settlements. Greed is subject to banishment.
that may limit players too much not being able to have a sword so they can't gain money by killing mobs etc.
1=0

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10544 on: July 06, 2011, 03:21:40 am »

Settlements have some value, given that the squad is big enough, and that there are atleast 2-3 enforcers online all the time, patrolling and not just being stupid and killing stuff, they provide protection, and is a interesting social experience, they give some more depth to the game than just dealing with retarded admins and people whining about greifing and hiding in a 1x2x1 thing. Think an anarchy server insaion by really organised people.

I liek almost all of it except these two:
7. A citizen can posess basic tools like shovels, hoes and pickaxes, however they must not posess weapons of any kind, swords, bows axes. And must not posess potentially dangerous tools such as buckets and fire kits. A persons habitat may feature storage faccilities, non-flammable lightning and stoves, crafting benches are restricted to crafters due to the potentially dangerous items you can procure with such faccility. Breaking this law is subject to fines, and in serious cases, imprisonment.
8. The communal share is for purposes of helping the new comer, the poor, the unestablished and for maintainence and security, treasury and fine crafts are the mayor's possesion and may be used in trades with privates and other settlements. Greed is subject to banishment.
that may limit players too much not being able to have a sword so they can't gain money by killing mobs etc.

They can invest in privileges for the swords, allowing people to possess weapons is ENCOURAGING murder.

Hey guys, i kind of always hated the way admins force specefic aspects of gameplay, such as being nice to each other and not destroying stuff.
I did a thought experiment.

Spoiler: Lengthy Stuff (click to show/hide)

Please respond to this, it took time to write.
Issues:

1. Cities don't actually do anything. There's some RP value, of course, but for the most part the whole setup is "obey these arbitrary rules and give us your stuff so you can hang out near pretty structures with no practical benefit." That's going to get old fast, especially if the style or theme isn't to the player's particular tastes.

2. You need godlike knowledge to enforce anything. The vast majority of actions that aren't allowed are untraceable or easy to lie about unless you've got plugins to help the mods. This is somewhat at odds with your plan of everything being player enforced, but without having mods on hand to rat everyone out, there's really no way to tell who did what. This results in a rather strange setup, wherein players are informed of each others' crimes by divine law, at which point it's up to them to... well, that brings us to our next point.

3. You need godlike power to enforce anything. As a player, you can hit someone when they're online, vandalize anything you feel they own, and loot possessions they leave lying around. That's it. You can't really imprison them, confiscate goods, levy fines, impose restrictions, or in any way affect them that a creeper couldn't. So, once again, we get to "this mod is using a mod-enabled command to teleport someone to our plugin-protected jail on some different player's whim," which is rather strange.

4. There's nothing to do in the city. So, you've got this nice city where nobody's allowed to craft anything or have weapons. Now what? Does everyone just chop wood all day to pay for rent, so it can be redistributed to theoretical newbies? Do they venture unarmed into caverns to search for items to dump into the communal chest?

5. Who's going to care if they get punished? I'm not sure I fully understand what the point of imprisoning thieves or fining murderers is, and I'm positive I don't see the downside to being executed. Wouldn't most of the people who break said rules be griefers anyway, who will just go on griefing until they're banned, and just not bother to log on until they're out of jail the rest of the time? What sort of upstanding citizen who actually cares about the server is going to assault and murder someone else, or go through peoples' houses looting their possessions?

I think they turn into items when that happens, but I'm not certain. I'm pretty sure there was a reason you couldn't do that, though.

Having a somewhat 24/7 team patrolling would allow us to enforce the rules. Some plugins could be made, so when you die, you spawn somewhere out in the wild, long away from were you died, i would rather stay in a prison than being lost in the open anarchy world, because then IM SCREWED.

Most of theese things you cant do are either offered if your profession requires it(cave miner, hunter, guard etc.) and you are working for the settlement. If you work in private business, you can most likely invest in previleges such as crafting, weapon craft and posession, posession of explosives, posession of potentially dangerous materials and items and such. And you can always live just outside the walls were the rules arent enforced, but you can still go inside and trade with the citizens, most real life castle cities had housing outside the walls, but thats for the farmers and such. Also i thought of some kind of magic system were you can curse people for example, so if they came again, they would be mauled by spider jockeys or something, and the current AI dosent really change their targets before the target is dead. The price would be something like selling your soul or sacrificing max health points, so the more curses you do, the weaker you are.

This will probably be possible in a future version of minecraft with more player-to-player interaction.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 1380