Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2420018 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #8310 on: March 27, 2011, 01:35:14 pm »

Well today I got IndustrialCraft and the sheer number of crafting recipes is so overwhelming it's preposterous and I think I want to crawl in a corner and cry because man everything is expensive.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8311 on: March 27, 2011, 01:42:06 pm »

I started by building a macerator.  Seems to be a good starting object because it doubles iron, copper, and tin output.  And it can be run with redstone til you get a generator and batteries.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8312 on: March 27, 2011, 01:58:59 pm »

I'd also recommend using regular generators over trying to set up anything more advanced. They burn through coal (though wood is usually plentiful to convert into coal) like nobody's business but they're a lot easier to manage and don't waste resources if you want to move them (unlike more advanced generators in which you only recover a basic generator when you try to move them, losing the circuits/etc). Once you have your area set up and know how you're going to run and build your generators and banks, you can use the more efficient models.

How do you make use of plant fuel? I made some "Bio Fuel (Clumpy)," which the readme says can be used in the new furnaces and is "less efficient" but more "cost effective" than using coal. However, it doesn't seem to work in either the electro furnace or the iron furnace, nor does it even work in the coal-fueled generators. Also, what fuel is the "Fuel" needed for one-use batteries? Bio Fuel doesn't work there either, nor does even charcoal or coal.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8313 on: March 27, 2011, 02:11:29 pm »

How do you make use of plant fuel? I made some "Bio Fuel (Clumpy)," which the readme says can be used in the new furnaces and is "less efficient" but more "cost effective" than using coal. However, it doesn't seem to work in either the electro furnace or the iron furnace, nor does it even work in the coal-fueled generators.
Put it through the extractor.
Also, what fuel is the "Fuel" needed for one-use batteries? Bio Fuel doesn't work there either, nor does even charcoal or coal.
Fuel made from the same process as the bio fuel, with coal instead of plants.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8314 on: March 27, 2011, 02:16:01 pm »

Nuke reactors go up by random chance. Every tile next to it that is a water source tile reduces the chance slightly.  It checks up down and diagonal so you can actually surround it with quite a bit of water.  But even fully immersed on all sides and floating it still has a small chance to go boom.

My reactor currently has water on all 9 tiles above it. 7 tiles around it on the same z level(one tile is taken by the reactor, one is taken by a cable to my MFE) and below it it has no water at all.  So it doesn't seem to be a huge chance of exploding as long as you make a token attempt at cooling.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8315 on: March 27, 2011, 02:31:54 pm »

I'm just placing mine on the bedrock and not caring, it's far enough away that it won't be missed. I'm building a larg enough solar field that it won't matter.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8316 on: March 27, 2011, 02:56:47 pm »

I will build it near bedrock too.... if it explodes, it should not damage too much my base at sea level... I hope.
And it will save me a lot of mining!

actually, I may build an unprotected reactor far from my base and underground just to see how big the boom is.

does it have to be used to explode? I may have problems getting enough uranium...

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8317 on: March 27, 2011, 03:41:16 pm »

Fucking updates.
I just grabbed 3.98 for Industrial Craft, then, browsing the forums, it's already updated to 3.99.
Grah.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8318 on: March 27, 2011, 03:43:30 pm »

Hmm my brother has taken interest in this game and I've been curious about it for some time now.
Do you guys play it together often? On a official bay12 server? Using some sort of communication (like Skype)?
And would you be willing to teach newcomers?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8319 on: March 27, 2011, 03:45:02 pm »

There are a few big servers here.
Jaycraft and Planehacked seem to be the main ones.
Aklyon's as well, but a little less so, or something.
I don't know.
I really should play one some time.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8320 on: March 27, 2011, 03:47:03 pm »

I would play one if a) I ould atually survive long enough to find some coal and b) I had something to contribute.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8321 on: March 27, 2011, 03:47:16 pm »

Hmm my brother has taken interest in this game and I've been curious about it for some time now.
Do you guys play it together often? On a official bay12 server? Using some sort of communication (like Skype)?
And would you be willing to teach newcomers?

1) There are some B12 servers, it depends on what you like. Planehacked (look it up in this section of the forum) is a "vanilla" (no mods) server with generally a pretty dense user list. Jaycraft is a heavily modded server with a few to several people on at a time.
2) I would be willing to help you out with anything, but Minecraft is not a very complicated game. Most of the information you'll need if not all can be found on the wonderful Minecraft Wiki.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8322 on: March 27, 2011, 04:00:34 pm »

I would play one if a) I ould atually survive long enough to find some coal and b) I had something to contribute.

Coal is a moot point now.
Make charcoal instead! It's just like coal but made from logs in a furnace.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #8323 on: March 27, 2011, 04:00:57 pm »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8324 on: March 27, 2011, 04:01:34 pm »

Well, I do put emphasis on 'playing together' and 'voice chat'.
That's what makes the whole thing fun to me.
Pages: 1 ... 553 554 [555] 556 557 ... 1380