Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422215 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #7500 on: February 09, 2011, 11:47:54 am »

I'm just gonna drop this here, about the whole java's speed thing.
http://zi.fi/shootout/

For me, java has a lot of little annoying issues that are way worse than any performance issue. IMO, if you believe portability is more important than performance as in you don't want to bother much with portability, then use java. Personally, I wouldn't want to use java if the program has to do a lot of matrix/nested/iterated operations.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7501 on: February 10, 2011, 07:27:58 pm »

So i got INVedit, but not for the purpose of returning my stuff, no, this was for revenge, a huge ass pile of TNT smack in the middle of the prettiest landscape i found, i was building it all night, and just as i was finishing i misplace a single block, then in a brainfart moment i hit it in order to remove it, it blows up.Now i have respawned and i am going to see the damage.

Edit:
So it was a big fail, first time i died and the game crashed, then i respawned and walked back to the palce only to find the pile of TNT halfbuild and unexploded, then i smack one of the boxes and it crashes again, so i smack it again and it explodes into a rather meh crater that revealed half a cave and nothing else, oh well i guess i should use more next time because i am not stopping untill i pierce this motherfucker all the way trough
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 07:36:37 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #7502 on: February 10, 2011, 09:04:10 pm »

Youtube Minecraft TNT. Other people do it for you. Best way for deep craters is columns of TNT that go deep

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7503 on: February 10, 2011, 09:11:37 pm »

Or, if you're less concerned with instant results, a platform above the desired hole location, with a slot to place the TNT and ignite it, at which point it falls into the hole. Spam this, and you'll have bored to lava in no time.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7504 on: February 10, 2011, 10:13:06 pm »

I don't get why you guys are complaining about the game running poorly or at low frame rates. I honestly have had no problems what so ever.
!!&!!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7505 on: February 10, 2011, 11:03:34 pm »

I honestly have had no problems what so ever.
I have that same card.
My only issue is that it is a heat monster.
Of course, I know that GPUs are designed for that, and yeah yeah it's fine at this temperature, but I wasn't quite expecting 70 idle...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7506 on: February 10, 2011, 11:23:30 pm »

I'm not bad either.

I can overclock like mad, and still only go to 65, max.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7507 on: February 10, 2011, 11:53:48 pm »

My 275gtx only goes up to 70c when being used 100% and my room being 32c.

My 8800 ultra OC on the other hand. >.> ... That thing used to go waaaay higher.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #7508 on: February 11, 2011, 12:29:15 am »

I have no problems with FPS on my laptop. 9650M GT, and it's rather outdated now.

Shouldn't the FPS problems be more based on CPU though?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7509 on: February 11, 2011, 01:08:14 am »

depends, but generally it's GPU.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7510 on: February 11, 2011, 02:14:45 am »

In the case of minecraft, it's a CPU issue. MC doesn't even get to 10% usage on my video card.

(And for the record, TF2 uses 15% of my GPU limited to 60FPS with everything on max, on the other hand, Just Cause 2 used 100% of it all the time, it's nice when a game uses the GPU's pipelines. Most newer games make better use of the GPU's resources.)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:17:13 am by Soulwynd »

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #7511 on: February 11, 2011, 02:57:50 am »

In the case of minecraft, it's a CPU issue. MC doesn't even get to 10% usage on my video card.

(And for the record, TF2 uses 15% of my GPU limited to 60FPS with everything on max, on the other hand, Just Cause 2 used 100% of it all the time, it's nice when a game uses the GPU's pipelines. Most newer games make better use of the GPU's resources.)
Hmm, I only have a 2.4 GHz dual core on this laptop, not terrible by any means, but it's not really high-end either.

Somewhat unrelated question, but how can you see the load on your GPU?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7512 on: February 11, 2011, 03:53:28 am »

You can generally check it out with your graphics card software. catalyst with ATI cards, and nTune with nVidia cards.

MSI makes a really good software called afterburner, but if  you don't have an MSI card, it's no guaranteed to work. worth a try, though, cus that software is great.

EDIT: Yup, I can confirm that MSI Afterburner works for non-MSI cards, and has a really good interface, with graphs and everything.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 04:11:25 am by Japa »

electronics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Minecraft Address of the server
« Reply #7513 on: February 12, 2011, 04:49:11 pm »

This is what happens when you play with an insane amount of TNT and all the clients lag out:
1=0

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7514 on: February 12, 2011, 08:56:47 pm »

Hell, I have no worries on my 2.2ghz dual core (overclocked to a whopping 2.3ghz; I couldnt be arsed getting extra cooling, and thats as far as it went stock) and my 8600GT unless I have just loaded a new map and my render distance is set to max. Once the initial rendering is over though, no worries at all.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 1380