Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2420432 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4530 on: September 23, 2010, 05:17:14 pm »

Everybody makes a castle; If you must, I say build one on that island straight north of your home.

More impressive than a castle? Oh, I dunno... maybe a space ship, maybe just carve a mountain into a sculpture of your chin.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: September 23, 2010, 05:18:21 pm »

No one has a vanilla minecraft.jar file they could post? Hmm this could be a problem...

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: September 23, 2010, 05:19:02 pm »

No one has a vanilla minecraft.jar file they could post? Hmm this could be a problem...
Just delete your version file.
The game will automatically redownload the vanilla JAR from the cloud.
Posting it ourselves would be illegal.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: September 23, 2010, 05:23:41 pm »

Survey suggests the island in the lake.  I camped out there once while rambling around for clay.  I was thinking of putting my home somewhere in that area, and now I have an idea for a railway going all the way back to my spawn, across bridges and under the floating stones.  It's going to be great.

Maybe I should remove that giant image now.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: September 23, 2010, 05:34:24 pm »

Just delete your version file.
The game will automatically redownload the vanilla JAR from the cloud.
Posting it ourselves would be illegal.
There in lies the problem, I can't only play online as my copy of minecraft is from the free weekend so 1) I can only play offline, 2) it won't update. I'm guessing posting the mojang files from the minecraft.jar would count as illegal to...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: September 23, 2010, 05:35:54 pm »

My home fort:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Whatever you decide on, be sure to grab some buckets of lava to make magma falls. No home base is complete without it. Also, I suggest making either a cliff-face entry or a narrow path over a big drop/lava/cactus for getting in to it. My home has yet to have a single creature, spider, creeper, or otherwise, get in despite having built it many days ago. The actual fort bit opens up both onto that minecart track (which took ages to build and goes an insanely long distance to a dungeon on another island) and that platform of soil. The soil platform is used for growing stuff; the tower on top is a beacon to light my way home.

Another suggestion: grow a dense forest and light it on fire. The bugged ever-burning wood which remains will not only keep the area bright, but any animals (pigs and cows most importantly) which spawn nearby will likely wander into a flaming bit of wood. This leaves you to go around picking up the free bacon and leather.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 05:43:06 pm by alway »

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: September 23, 2010, 05:36:58 pm »

My home fort:
Whatever you decide on, be sure to grab some buckets of lava to make magma falls. No home base is complete without it.
You're...
SO DWARFY!  :D
DungeonEscape
Will you make it out alive?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: September 23, 2010, 06:20:57 pm »

Yeah, the floating hunks of burning trees are a nice touch.  I prefer more austere stylings, but I could give it a shot.  However, I think my video drivers are having some problems with rendering large amounts of magma.

Also, fuck I hate creepers.  I don't even know where that one spawned, he just jumped out at me.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: September 23, 2010, 06:30:19 pm »

If I may suggest something, let yourself be inspired by the environment.
Don't build ON it, or NEAR it, but WITH it. Actually, that doesn't sound right. forget it.

What I mean is: natural places in minecraft can sometime be similar to buildings that you could make. You could find such a place, and carve it into whatever you think it is. Let imagination fly free!

In my game, I found a nice place: a 9x8 base, very tall, almost empty inside. Looked almost like a tower... and so I cobblestoned it, and built the tower. Out of the rest of the mountain I am building the castle. The courtyard is on a natural flat on the side. What I am doing is not changing the landscape, but rather refining it. You should try.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: September 23, 2010, 06:44:57 pm »

Oh yes, building with and in the terrain is the key, I learned that from Frank Lloyd Wright.  Anybody can plop down a castle cube in an open field.  Real style comes from adding it to the landscape.  I usually look for particularly notable outcroppings by water, and build a network of rooms spread out over the top of it, with an entrance going through a natural cave if possible.

I'm starting to worry that island isn't actually large enough for a good castle, but I guess I can spread it out over the water a bit.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: September 23, 2010, 06:49:20 pm »

Sounds very much like what i do. I use the natural shapes to make something, and often i try to adapt my stuff to the surroundings rather than bend the surroundings to fit my stuff.

As everyone else is uploading pix, so will I. My current project.
Oh, The images are 1920x1200 just to warn ya.

Not really sure what to make of it except extending it.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: September 23, 2010, 06:54:31 pm »

make Moria.

It is a very nice entrance you got there, it would be a pity to leave it without an intricate tunnel network with giant halls of dwarven architecture.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: September 23, 2010, 06:55:03 pm »

Looks like a lot of places for monsters to appear in your hallway thing.  Reminds me of an Egyptian temple, but granite.  You could try adding some decoration, but there's not much decoration to work with.  Maybe gold stuff.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: September 23, 2010, 07:01:04 pm »

The poor illumination is on purpose, I just hope that they can't actually spawn between the pillars or in the air.
I could dig away downwards on the sides, then the mobs can't spawn somewhere threatening while still hiding the outer walls in the dark.
Many Picks and multiple episodes of whatever series i had was used in the production.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: September 23, 2010, 07:06:36 pm »

Ooh... how did you get the flame-torches to keep burning?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 1380