Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421500 times)

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4200 on: September 18, 2010, 11:21:49 am »

Sometimes I love the water physics.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: September 18, 2010, 11:37:58 am »

Drive a boat through it!  8)

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: September 18, 2010, 12:23:03 pm »

Heh, It wasn't solid. It was already around 1/4 of the way drained. I was using a bucket to safely allow me to skirt the edge of the bridge, so I could easily put the next block, but if you are rapid enough with removing the spring and placing the next one, you can get a very long tunnel like that.

That one was about 20-30 block in length.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: September 18, 2010, 01:13:18 pm »

Update is out, sneaking and some secret things, looked at the comments for the post trying to gain some insight about the update and it's 99% full of raging flaming idiots.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 01:28:47 pm by Hugehead »
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: September 18, 2010, 01:21:44 pm »

He should just post a spoiler changelog so we don't have to sift through these comments and lies to find what is actually new.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: September 18, 2010, 01:23:23 pm »

Update is out, sneaking and some secret things, looked at the comments for the post trying to gain some insight about the update and it's 100% full of raging flaming idiots.

To add to this: the first comment (which, of course, is the one with the most 'likes') is complaining that Notch needs to spend more time fixing SMP instead of adding new features. There's several dozen responses to that, telling the OP to shut up. This goes on for an entire page of the comments, roughly 20% of them at the moment of this post. And most of the follow-up posts are along the same lines (one guy complains, a bunch of anon commenters 'like' the post, and a dozen people respond to flame him).  ::)

As for new stuff... 2 pages in, I found someone claiming a recipe for a 'fishing rod':
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1504/px6ql8.png

No mention of how to use the rod, of course, but hey! Something to try once minecraft.net comes back up and we can actually test it!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: September 18, 2010, 01:24:51 pm »

Update is out, sneaking and some secret things, looked at the comments for the post trying to gain some insight about the update and it's 100% full of raging flaming idiots.
One of them me.

YOU BASTARDS STOP PULLING THIS CRAP ON THE FORUMS WHY DO I EVEN KEEP YOU HERE
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: September 18, 2010, 01:29:18 pm »

Ok, Fixxed it.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: September 18, 2010, 01:30:09 pm »

*sigh* Why do none of these idiots seem to understand what exactly an alpha is?! Features go in now, focus switches to bug-fixes in beta.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: September 18, 2010, 01:33:27 pm »

Oh god this game. Its the best thing ever since Dwarf Fortress. It needs carps, goblins sieges, and adamantine deposits. And Multiplayer Survival.

It would become Dwarf Fortress 2.0!
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: September 18, 2010, 01:37:19 pm »

*sigh* Why do none of these idiots seem to understand what exactly an alpha is?! Features go in now, focus switches to bug-fixes in beta.

Don't forget - while half the population is screaming "OMG fix bugz no new featurez!", the other half is screaming "OMG this iz alpha give us biomez nao!". It's really kind of funny, actually. (So long as you aren't a forum mod, at least. :D )

Oh, and a third half (yes, the MC community is so annoying, there's a third half) is just bitching about minecraft.net being down. So, it's "Fix bugz!", "Give us new, buggy featurez!", and "We don't care, just let us play at all!"  ::)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: September 18, 2010, 02:08:48 pm »

Group three does have a somewhat valid complaint. This is a service that should be stable.

Groups one and two, however, are things I wish I had the authority to cull.

Edit: Well, looks like I have the day off. The forums are down.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 02:12:50 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: September 18, 2010, 02:31:15 pm »

Forums down, watch videos with ToonyMan, relax, don't do it.

Kill the prime minister.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: September 18, 2010, 02:41:23 pm »

I also sort of think the third group there has a valid point, I mean, no matter what the update is, if I can't get the update, well, then that sucks hard.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: September 18, 2010, 02:44:52 pm »

Minecraft and typical alphas vary in one important aspect: thousands of people are playing Minecraft's alpha. Indeed if it was a proper alpha there would be no need for secret friday updates.

Alphas typically find themselves in completely unplayable states. (See vanilla STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. :P) Obviously no one wants Minecraft to end up unplayable, the creator especially! So it is an alpha in name only. It shares more characteristics with an open beta.

I'm pretty disappointed in the fact that the server has been dead for weeks. I would have been happy if the secret update was a superior update server to take strain off the web server. It has been more of an anti-update to me, but that doesn't mean I'm bringing out the torches and pitchforks. I would be happy also if Notch addressed the considerable complaints from the userbase in his blog, as right now it seems like it's a one way line of communication. (Not surprising, given the comments he gets, but.)
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 1380