Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421266 times)

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4215 on: September 18, 2010, 02:56:44 pm »

*sigh* Why do none of these idiots seem to understand what exactly an alpha is?! Features go in now, focus switches to bug-fixes in beta.

Minecraft and typical alphas vary in one important aspect: thousands of people are playing Minecraft's alpha. Indeed if it was a proper alpha there would be no need for secret friday updates.

Alphas typically find themselves in completely unplayable states. (See vanilla STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. :P) Obviously no one wants Minecraft to end up unplayable, the creator especially! So it is an alpha in name only. It shares more characteristics with an open beta.

I'm pretty disappointed in the fact that the server has been dead for weeks. I would have been happy if the secret update was a superior update server to take strain off the web server. It has been more of an anti-update to me, but that doesn't mean I'm bringing out the torches and pitchforks. I would be happy also if Notch addressed the considerable complaints from the userbase in his blog, as right now it seems like it's a one way line of communication. (Not surprising, given the comments he gets, but.)

What are you talking about?

I've been able to get on the server the whole week. Only today around half an hour I wasn't able to get on due to traffic load.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: September 18, 2010, 03:07:46 pm »

What are you talking about?

I've been able to get on the server the whole week. Only today around half an hour I wasn't able to get on due to traffic load.

Precisely what I said I was talking about!~ The web server has been slow for me all week, sometimes timing out completely.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: September 18, 2010, 03:34:58 pm »

All the people trying to connect have crashed the webserver.
Commence all those idiots posting moronic comments.
Oh, wait, that happens all the time, anyway.
Damn, that community is terrible.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: September 18, 2010, 03:38:18 pm »

Anyone know of a mirror for the download? I though I got it from the website, but minecraft.net actually crashed while I was downloading, so it though it was done. I moved the corrupt file to my minecraft folder, and overwrote the old file, old file is gone, and the corrupt file obviously can't play minecraft.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: September 18, 2010, 03:40:33 pm »

You would think that people, upon realizing the site was being slow and not much fun, would quit and wait a little bit for things to settle down. Apparently though its much more fun to just pile on and see how many more they can fit in the bandwagon. Then complain when the thing crashes because of their stupidity.
Nothing important here, move along.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: September 18, 2010, 03:42:21 pm »

Just went and looked at minecraft.net, it says this:
Minecraft Offline. Hold.
Setting up a cloud solution. Free Minecraft weekend until the problems are solved?

/ Notch

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: September 18, 2010, 03:49:23 pm »

Update downloaded.
Game turns entire screen gray when run, requires alt-F4 to escape.
...D'oh.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: September 18, 2010, 03:52:14 pm »

Update downloaded.
...D'oh.

Happened to me too.

I saw his twitter post, but I didn't think it'd grey out my both of my monitors. Weird stuff.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: September 18, 2010, 03:52:46 pm »

Update downloaded.
...D'oh.
same here.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: September 18, 2010, 03:59:21 pm »

He found and fixed the problem.
Apparently he tried to set the gamma, and it inexplicably turned the entire screen gray.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: September 18, 2010, 04:03:54 pm »

He found and fixed the problem.
Apparently he tried to set the gamma, and it inexplicably turned the entire screen gray.

Wait... so everybody'll need to download the game again to fix this issue?  :o

He also just announced that Amazon Cloud is going to be used, and he's got a new server (and possibly a backend rewrite) en route. Of course, I wouldn't count on anything happening quickly, especially the backend rewrite (which, seeing as how Minecraft wasn't initially designed to hold this many people, is probably the biggest problem).

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: September 18, 2010, 04:05:48 pm »

Well, the game works now. Sneaking's awesome.

My skin's reset though, and when I play SMP it logs me on as foobar. Weird stuff.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: September 18, 2010, 04:09:43 pm »

Well, the game works now. Sneaking's awesome.

My skin's reset though, and when I play SMP it logs me on as foobar. Weird stuff.

Probably because names and skins are stored on the Minecraft server... which is currently offline. You should get everything back once Notch performs emergency CPR on the server, probably some time early next week.

By the way, if you're like me and always went through Minecraft.net for the blog, it's located at http://notch.tumblr.com/, and the forums are at http://www.minecraftforum.net/index.php. Ya know, until the site comes back up and the links are available again.  ;D

EDIT: Of course, he immediately puts a blog link up on the temporary page. The forum link might still be useful, though!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: September 18, 2010, 04:23:22 pm »

Free weekend? It doesn't benefit me at all but that's a damn good thing to do, considering the state of things. Well done, Notch. Huzzah. :D

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: September 18, 2010, 04:23:46 pm »

Damn, that community is terrible.

I agree, notch made it so the current version of Minecraft is easily downloadable even without an account, a free weekend sort of deal, and all the people that have paid are shitting themselves. They're mad that others get to play the game without paying, even though this will probably benefit notch, as he will addict a few thousand people, people that will proceed to buy the game after.
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 1380