Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422419 times)

Zenatsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #3945 on: August 23, 2010, 09:13:12 am »

Is Nikov's server still up? I try to connect and yet I keep timing out. Perhaps it is on my own end, but I've never actually played SMP.

and where else is a better place than to play with the DF community.

Wooden houses are for 2 purposes. Bonfires, and explosive prisons. If ANYONE attempts an escape, my crafty engineering will see to it that the escapee will find themselves facing many trying puzzles as they flee the death trap. from pressure plates to plugging in the wrong combination.

My only joy from this is not the death of some wrong-doer, but for the blasted elves to drink their own tears from the environmental effects after 1000 tons of TNT explodes because someone wouldn't do their time.

And now to contribute to this thread.

/rant

as for 16 tracks to come of 1 stick, no one ever said the sticks are long or short... It could be a 20ft pole and cut up into equal 16 short segments... maybe longer, math fails me...

But also consider on HOW things are constructed. Every crafting item is built in a symbol-like way

XXX                                                                                 OOO
XXX   <--- They lay out from the Crafting table. with no items.  XOX    <--- How you make a pick.
XXX                                                                                 XOX

So not only do the resulting stacks dont seem to comply in how things are made. But if you think about HOW the items are made. You can really only fit one stick in the 3x3 grid.

Refer to the crafting wiki to see that everything mimic's what is being built...

Not only that but if one is going to complain about how you can make 1 ladder from 7 sticks and 16 tracks from 1. Perhaps you should go outside the cave a little more and make elves cry... I like elves crying... Their tears taste that of fresh spring water.

Mostly I see it in a way of balance. Iron is a common ore to find, but if your either unlucky, or really suck at mining, it's a hard ore to locate (to me its a random meeting). Whereas you can GROW your own friggin trees and find an UNLIMITED amount of forests in the game. So the balance to me is quite well... even for 16 tracks, which is instantly used if you have a looong track to be made.

/end rant

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: August 23, 2010, 09:15:41 am »

I think Planehacked is the only one on right now.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: August 23, 2010, 09:16:55 am »

Did you only read that far? :P
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: August 23, 2010, 09:21:45 am »

Did you only read that far? :P

Nah, I read everything. It's just that the beginning was the only thing that I replied to.

Zenatsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: August 23, 2010, 09:23:23 am »

I read maybe the 1st 5 pages then went to the Jaycraft post (where he announced it)

From there on I kept reading...

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: August 23, 2010, 09:31:50 am »

I read maybe the 1st 5 pages then went to the Jaycraft post (where he announced it)

From there on I kept reading...

That is truly fascinating.

Zenatsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: August 23, 2010, 10:00:40 am »

Nah, I read everything. It's just that the beginning was the only thing that I replied to.

Right back at ya!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: August 23, 2010, 10:14:48 am »

Sooo, I just bought this. Currently hiding out in my sand castle in the middle of the lake, waiting for the sun to come up. Any advice for an utter noob? About all I've managed to do so far is make some planks, sticks, a craft table and a boat.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #3953 on: August 23, 2010, 10:22:31 am »

Well...

You can't gather rock without a pickaxe, so you have to make one out of wood first.

then... then you find youself diggin deeper and deeper in the hunt for iron, gold, and diamonds....

And then the FUN beginssssSSSSS

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: August 23, 2010, 12:54:10 pm »

if you see something like my avatar, run for the hills.

Zenatsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: August 23, 2010, 12:58:34 pm »

if you see something like my avatar, run for the hills.

Then would it be odd if i use them to help me mine? I mean sure they produce gunpowder, but I find it more fun the other way :D

"Losing is fun!"

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: August 23, 2010, 01:03:27 pm »

I'm talking about the cyborg creepers. Ultra-rare, but they have a hugeass explosion that will kill you on peaceful (changing difficulty won't despawn) through a full diamond set of armor and full health at arrow range, and have twice as much health as you.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: August 23, 2010, 01:25:20 pm »

I found my first iron ore! 4 pieces, just enough for a pick axe and a shovel. Also, goddamn that zombie sound comes as a shock when you're mining away deep underground, and one spawns nearby.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: August 23, 2010, 01:32:35 pm »

What's worse is when I'm mining a seam of ores, often cornering myself, I imagine I can hear the sound of footsteps and get all paranoid that the pick is masking the sound.

Dangerous mobs should completely change things in SMP, I hope anyway. I am concerned with the /home command though, so easily finding your way home defeats a lot of the danger.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: August 23, 2010, 01:52:58 pm »

I am concerned with the /home command though, so easily finding your way home defeats a lot of the danger.
Is that a warp back to predetermined location command?
if so it should be changed to /suicide in SMP if you're stuck =D
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 1380