Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422020 times)

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #1065 on: February 20, 2010, 05:26:08 pm »

Aqizzar, is there a development multiplayer version or one you bought or what? Or are you guys just talking about singleplayer with zombies and everything?
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: February 20, 2010, 05:29:06 pm »

Eventually, you do have to fight mobs just to get gunpowder, feathers, and cord though.  Swordfighting everything to death is viable sure, but I still want access to surface resources without having to expose myself.
I'm not entirely sure if this is viable or not, but how about creating a pit with a small half-block opening at hip level? You should simply be able to hit things with your sword through there(or even fists) during the night and collect the spoils during the day. Nothing should be able to get through, arrows should have collision difficulty, and spiders cant get through either.
 Again, I haven't tested this, but it sounds effective.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: February 20, 2010, 05:29:27 pm »

There is a developmental version, but there is no multiplayer on it. Notch is going to make sure more systems work before going into that.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: February 20, 2010, 05:43:11 pm »

Notch has said repeatedly (apparently) that he'd love to tackle multiplayer survival/crafting mode, and that is his next big goal, but he's putting all his ducks in a row this time.  Until then, it's single player only, and reserved for people who pay him monies.

In related news, I tried making a Small/Deep/Hell map.  I spawned dozens of levels in the air and immediately fell to my demise.  I think it's trying to me something.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: February 20, 2010, 05:49:59 pm »

Eventually, you do have to fight mobs just to get gunpowder, feathers, and cord though.  Swordfighting everything to death is viable sure, but I still want access to surface resources without having to expose myself.
I'm not entirely sure if this is viable or not, but how about creating a pit with a small half-block opening at hip level? You should simply be able to hit things with your sword through there(or even fists) during the night and collect the spoils during the day. Nothing should be able to get through, arrows should have collision difficulty, and spiders cant get through either.
 Again, I haven't tested this, but it sounds effective.

Indeed, this is the primary defensive strategy. Hopefully this side-view should be readable enough:
Code: [Select]
__*__
__*__
_____
___**

Where the left side is your base, and the right side is outdoors. Asterisks denote solid terrain, underscores are air. You can chop the knees off of any mobs that approach, and you're entirely safe assuming the ground outside is flat or slopes up. (If it slopes down, Skeles may be able to shoot you). Best of all, there's roughly a 75% chance that 'stuff' will drop close enough to the door that you can grab it without stepping outside!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: February 20, 2010, 05:51:51 pm »

I swear that mobs now (in indev anyway) have an "automatic hit radius", where you just have to be within a certain clear distance of them to be attacked, and it's now wider than one block.  Because they can hit me through my window with melee.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: February 20, 2010, 05:53:37 pm »

In related news, I tried making a Small/Deep/Hell map.  I spawned dozens of levels in the air and immediately fell to my demise.  I think it's trying to me something.
This is a bug that happens when the game doesn't generate a spawn house because of the new spawn house code for making sure you don't spawn on a 1x1 block in the middle of nowhere.

Also, monsters can attack through corners. A solid block seems somewhat safe, but corners can be the death of you.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: February 20, 2010, 05:58:10 pm »

This is a bug that happens when the game doesn't generate a spawn house because of the new spawn house code for making sure you don't spawn on a 1x1 block in the middle of nowhere.

My inescapable Babayaga-esque huts in Floating maps would attest otherwise, but I get the idea.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: February 20, 2010, 05:59:39 pm »

I didn't say it was good code, but it seems to be better than the old half-buried mossy cobblestone homes of the past.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: February 20, 2010, 06:07:41 pm »

I was thinking more along the lines of this:

Code: [Select]
..█..
..█..
..▄..
..███
█████
left is where you are, right is the pit.
 With your version Thexor I think spiders would be able to sneak through.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: February 20, 2010, 06:39:42 pm »

Ugh, been ages since I played.

What's changed? And is there a bay12 server again?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 20, 2010, 06:40:35 pm »

My code was for a doorway, which means I only make it one unit wide (and hence, totally spider-proof). Yours would work better for a longer defensive window, but it would take two tiles to open/close if it was a door - and trust me, taking twice as long to open the door when you're stuck outside is a bad thing!

So, different defensive layouts for different purposes.  ;D

EDIT:
Ugh, been ages since I played.

What's changed? And is there a bay12 server again?

There was a B12 server, but I believe it went down due to inactivity. :(

As far as Creative or Survival mode, nothing's changed in the slightest. The developer has been pouring all his time into 'indev', which I assume stands for "internal development", and is the latest (and frequently buggy/unstable) development version of the game. It's like where DF currently is, seriously changed and seriously glitchy, although Notch has it released to the public. (If I wanted to be technical, it's because Notch is an adherent of the Agile programming discipline, so there's almost always something playable to test.)

No multiplayer in indev yet, although that's expected in a couple of weeks. It's become a fantasy survival game, with days spent harvesting resources and nights spent fending off hordes of evil monsters. And it's actually dangerous - zombies remove a quarter of your health per hit, they hit fast, and they move fast. Skeletons take 5 hits to kill... but they have very accurate arrows. Spiders jump, making them difficult to hit without taking damage. Creepers explode when threatened. Trust me, I play on Normal, and the mobs give me a serious run for my money most of the time.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 06:47:00 pm by Thexor »

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #1077 on: February 20, 2010, 11:08:44 pm »

I honestly have no idea how you people build that fast.  Or how you got a tree to grow.  Does it take a lot longer now than it did in the Survival release?  Of course, I don't have the patience to stick around a site for long.

To be fair, most of the work (leveling the hill) was done before picture 1. All that was left was replacing the dirt with cobblestone and waiting for the tree to grow.

As for trees growing, I don't know for sure but I think it needs light and a 3x3 square of empty space all up its length.

EDIT: Thexor is right, those darn spiders are perfect examples of Demonic Spiders.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:14:01 pm by Kishmond »

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 20, 2010, 11:12:54 pm »

'indev', which I assume stands for "internal development"

Or "In Development."

:|

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 21, 2010, 11:20:01 am »

Notch happens to be 'livestreaming' himself pratting about on indev as I type this

Its quite funny, he seems genuinely surprised by his own creation! He is as scared of the  skeletons as everyone else ...
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 1380