Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421977 times)

Eek-A-Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #1050 on: February 17, 2010, 12:15:09 am »

I just bought this game recently, and am having fun with the indev version. Those guys that come out in the night scare the shit outta me, and I usually find myself making halls deep within the ground, and only coming above ground to get the few pieces of wood I need. One day all beasts of above shall perish in something involving magma, though.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: February 20, 2010, 02:46:11 am »

Yeah, I usually spend the first ~2 days hunkering down in a wooden bunker. The real fun starts once you've got a small stack of pork chops, full iron armour, a full stack of torches, and a cavernous expanse full to the brim with skeles and creepers.  ;D

If anyone's reading this: what do you think about the route indev is going? What're your opinions on levels, for instance (currently, they're removed)? Or the general difficulty of the game? I'm personally pretty happy, but admittedly, the 'fantasy/combat' route that's currently happening is vastly different from the 'freeform construction' game I was originally shown, so I'm interested to see if anybody's less than satisfied.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: February 20, 2010, 05:34:44 am »

I enjoy the indev quite a lot.

I really struggle to stay in at night, and it takes me a couple of days to have enough things to do that don't get me killed at night.

I have just about got a nice little house, with a furnace, some glass little boxes sticking out the side of it so I can watch the skeletons BURN in the morning, and a route in to the caverns underneath in the cellar.

I haven't actually gone very far from my house anyway, so I suppose I will try and annexe a bit more of the map in the next game week or so, maybe with some cool aerial glass routes to different little houses that I wil start off building small, then make them bigger with time. The development of your 'character' is I suppose a bit more about your 'crafting empire' (buildings and toys).

I like the day/night dynamic. Building/collecting at day, hiding at night is a really fun but simple design choice.

I can't seem to handle myself in one on one battle yet, especially so with the skeletons. But seeing as you can ignore them if you box them off, I'm sure there is some balancing to do on that front. Just poke the creepers through a little hole in the wall in the morning and then you are good to go and farm/chop wood/collect meat for another day.

I'm not sure in fairness whether the levelling thing would add a great deal to the game, in my opinion, I can see the logic for keeping it out.

There is maybe another notch that the enemies and AI could be taken (creepers could deliberately sabotage your walls?) but I'm sure that's coming.

I personally haven't got any big issues with the direction its going either, and look forward to more. Multiplayer survival could be fun, but I'm actually enjoying the single player enough anyway.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: February 20, 2010, 11:15:34 am »

I just remembered the indev version, and spent a couple hours playing it.

I will never forget the beauty of watching a square sun set and a square moon rise.

Likewise, I'm totally in favor of there being absolutely nothing like "levels", especially in multiplayer.  It does indeed penalize new or unlucky players compared to people who just play safe and secure, or stay alive by hording good stuff.  Access to resources and crafting with them are and should be the arm of decision.  And ability to properly and strategically play the game, that is.

That part about spiders being nonaggressive during daytime is utter bullcrap though.  They are nothing of the kind, and creepers don't go away either.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: February 20, 2010, 12:34:27 pm »

Spiders are iffy. Sometimes I could run close enough alongside their strides to ride them, and other days they attacked me as soon as I peeked my head out of my base.

Although I miss the sun not lighting the undead on fire anymore. Now it is just sunlight damage.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #1055 on: February 20, 2010, 03:39:33 pm »

They are supposed to stop attacking you in the daytime. The usually do if it's completely daytime and you haven't attacked any spiders recently.

Before:

30 minutes later:

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: February 20, 2010, 03:43:51 pm »

I honestly have no idea how you people build that fast.  Or how you got a tree to grow.  Does it take a lot longer now than it did in the Survival release?  Of course, I don't have the patience to stick around a site for long.

Has anyone ever seen water appear on a Floating map?
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: February 20, 2010, 04:13:56 pm »

I have decided to buy this game! Just one problem... How? The link on the site isn't in english.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: February 20, 2010, 04:27:00 pm »

I agree on the 'no leveling' issue. Honestly, I think that tool tiers (bare hands -> wooden -> stone -> iron (-> diamond) ) serve the same purpose, and they feel much more natural and intuitive than "Congratulations! You have reached level 977! You gain +3 Str and +1 IQ!"

The 'sunlight damage' instead of fire was actually kind of required, even if it is less cool. The issue was, Skeletons could sit in water and pelt you with arrows, and the water would completely negate the burn. (Zombies, too, but at least they had to leave the water to attack you!) And, of course, it's practically impossible to approach a Skele while swimming. :(

Oh, and yes, you can indeed find water on Floating maps - my most recent floating map had a small pool in the middle of a sand pit. Which scared the ^&%$ out of me, because sand pits can spawn without dirt beneath them. Mine one tile, or build anything connected to them, and their physics turn on again --> the entire layer collapses! Luckily, this particular pit had dirt beneath, and I constructed a nice little irrigated farm near my tower. (Before getting bored, that is.)

And, as for purchasing the game... it's not in English? To be fair, the developer is Swedish, but I distinctly remember going through an English purchase window.
I just tried creating a new account, and hit the 'buy now!' button in the top-right. I went straight to the Paypal window, which was in English. Never saw a word I didn't understand. dragnar, could you clarify your issue? What, particularly, isn't English?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: February 20, 2010, 04:51:35 pm »

Strange, when I go to "Buy Now" I get this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: February 20, 2010, 04:57:23 pm »

I think PayPal itself believes you're Swedish.  See that "Svenska" thing in the top-right that looks like a dropdown menu?  Try that.

Also, it is hard as crap to kill mobs through a window, but endlessly tempting when you have to spend equal time running between the walls of your shack waiting for the squn to come back out.  I have cabin fever to go out and kill zombies oh my god.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 04:59:00 pm by Aqizzar »

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: February 20, 2010, 05:11:44 pm »

Also, it is hard as crap to kill mobs through a window, but endlessly tempting when you have to spend equal time running between the walls of your shack waiting for the squn to come back out.  I have cabin fever to go out and kill zombies oh my god.

When the urge strikes you to go outside: don't. Seriously. I just killed 3 Skeletons and a Creeper at once in a cave, without breaking a sweat; I then found myself outside at night, perhaps 20 blocks from my house, and I only survived by devouring several pork chops and running like a scared rabbit. The trick is, you tend to be surrounded when outside - with Skeletons everywhere, you can't dodge their arrows, and the melee mobs close and encircle you.

I prefer to lock my door, install torches, and then start mining. In fact, in my current game, I rarely even bother going outside - I've spent days (both in-game and IRL!) just digging, exploring the vast caverns, fighting the fiends of the deep (in a tunnel, so they can't circle you!), and mining iron/gold/diamonds. Camping in your house for ~15 minutes at a time is boring - digging into the earth like a proper dwarf is much more fun!

Abusing the 'stackable pork chop' bug makes combat a lot easier, though.  ;)
You can stack them by cooking a pork chop, and then cooking a second without removing the first from the furnace. And then a third, and a fourth, and so on. I've currently got a stack of 22 pork chops on my hotbar!

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: February 20, 2010, 05:15:44 pm »

When I was buying the game, the purchase screen was in a different language for about 15 seconds before it turned to English. Strange.

Anyways, I love Minecraft. Great game. I too spend the night time tunneling underground. As of yet, I haven't actually found any ore under my tower.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: February 20, 2010, 05:16:27 pm »

I think PayPal itself believes you're Swedish.  See that "Svenska" thing in the top-right that looks like a dropdown menu?  Try that.
Aha! Thanks, that worked... now why did paypal think I was Swedish?! ???

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: February 20, 2010, 05:19:14 pm »

I prefer to lock my door, install torches, and then start mining. In fact, in my current game, I rarely even bother going outside - I've spent days (both in-game and IRL!) just digging, exploring the vast caverns, fighting the fiends of the deep (in a tunnel, so they can't circle you!), and mining iron/gold/diamonds. Camping in your house for ~15 minutes at a time is boring - digging into the earth like a proper dwarf is much more fun!

Eventually, you do have to fight mobs just to get gunpowder, feathers, and cord though.  Swordfighting everything to death is viable sure, but I still want access to surface resources without having to expose myself.

You can stack them by cooking a pork chop, and then cooking a second without removing the first from the furnace. And then a third, and a fourth, and so on. I've currently got a stack of 22 pork chops on my hotbar!

I was wondering if that was a bug or a feature.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 1380