Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422310 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #7425 on: February 01, 2011, 07:44:36 pm »

So what is everybody else at Moljang working on now? There has been zero activity this whole time...
They're probably all working on different projects.

Which seems... kinda silly. Sell a million copies of a game on the promise of it being awesome and getting lots of updates, then start working on other projects midway through Beta?

Although, just at the moment, Notch is away on holiday. And sure, he's got a huge support staff... but I'd be real surprised if anyone but Notch did the majority of the coding. Bear in mind, Notch has been hack-n-slash coding Minecraft on his own for years now - I'd be really surprised if anyone else could figure out the source, let alone modify it without horribly breaking everything. (Of course, if it was me coding Minecraft, it'd look like a cat vomited all over the Great Spaghetti Monster, but that's besides the point.  ;) )

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7426 on: February 01, 2011, 07:58:51 pm »

Blerg, installed Rainmeter and I know this flickering in the Minecraft window is because of it. This could be annoying.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: February 01, 2011, 08:01:12 pm »

So what is everybody else at Moljang working on now? There has been zero activity this whole time...
They're probably all working on different projects.

Which seems... kinda silly. Sell a million copies of a game on the promise of it being awesome and getting lots of updates, then start working on other projects midway through Beta?

Although, just at the moment, Notch is away on holiday. And sure, he's got a huge support staff... but I'd be real surprised if anyone but Notch did the majority of the coding. Bear in mind, Notch has been hack-n-slash coding Minecraft on his own for years now - I'd be really surprised if anyone else could figure out the source, let alone modify it without horribly breaking everything. (Of course, if it was me coding Minecraft, it'd look like a cat vomited all over the Great Spaghetti Monster, but that's besides the point.  ;) )
I think whilst he's taking a holiday, the others might be taking one from the game. I mean, if I was Notch and went on holiday, I most certainly would say 'do something productive, but do whatever you want and have fun doing it'.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7428 on: February 01, 2011, 08:25:53 pm »

If I was Notch I would have hired someone else to continue development and then quietly retired on a big pile of money.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: February 01, 2011, 08:30:56 pm »

A Notch impersonator, if I may.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7430 on: February 01, 2011, 11:46:10 pm »

A... Not-ch, if I may?

I'm going to hell for that pun aren't I?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: February 02, 2011, 12:10:07 am »

If I was a Notch impersinator I'd convince everybody I'd taken on the person of a superhero and would call myself Notchinator just to rub it in everyone's face without them knowing.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: February 02, 2011, 12:25:02 pm »

couple of quick questions have come up for me:

Am i imagining it or are mobs drawn to the light at night? It seems really easy putting up a couple torches, going outside later and cutting up like 10 pigs and cows.

Is there any way to destroy items other than finding lava to throw it into? them 500 tree saplings are getting in my way. I've started digging up patches of dirt to throw trash into which i then wall off again, but it seems tedious (and i wonder if critters will then spawn down there and moan into my ear forever on after.)

Is there any way to find locate iron or diamonds other than blindly digging through thousands (literally!) of stone blocks to clutter your inventory with? (not to mention that it takes out your original few iron/diamond picks in the process).
I was hoping i'd find more ressources deep down in the earth, but all i got was eventually running into two caverns of magma and water right next to each other. Oh, and tons of stone. At bedrock level.

Also: damn, almost all worlds i see on youtube have more interesting features than mine. the highest elevation i've seen so far was about 15 blocks, and non-steep at that.
The fixed respawning point pretty much restricts the area i'm willing to travel :/
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 12:27:56 pm by Lord Snow »

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7433 on: February 02, 2011, 12:27:36 pm »

The wiki where tell you where to find different materials. Iron is only found as "high" as 5 tiles above sea level.

Never mine anything with an Iron or Diamond pick unless it is required (mining gold requires an Iron pick for instance).

Look for caves. I usually mine in big straight lines hoping it will break into a large cave. Works pretty well.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: February 02, 2011, 12:39:01 pm »

This game has changed a bit since I last played. We have pay to play servers now?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7435 on: February 02, 2011, 12:43:54 pm »

I do think mobs are attracted to light... good and bad.  I noticed with a new world I generated that I could build a dirt wall around me (no torches at the time) and the enemies usually never came near... as soon as I placed torches around the top of the wall, I'd get frequent visitors.

Diamond mining for me (when I did it on the other map) consisted of digging out long straight shafts along the bottom separated by two block thick walls then doing the same above it (skipping one set of blocks)  The shafts were random depths... I'd go until I got bored with that run.
Code: [Select]
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒^Up
▒▒ ▒▒ ▒▒ ▒▒ ▒▒ ▒|
▒▒ ▒▒ ▒▒ ▒▒ ▒▒ ▒
▒▒▒X▒▒X▒▒X▒▒X▒▒▒
▒ ▒▒ ▒▒ ▒▒ ▒▒ ▒▒
▒ ▒▒ ▒▒ ▒▒ ▒▒ ▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
That only leaves a small the possibility of one line of blocks (denoted by 'X') having Diamond that I miss.  While possible, the chance is slim.

I'm sure you can probably find another way to mine out a large area and dig downward discovery channels in a sort of checkerboard as well.

This game has changed a bit since I last played. We have pay to play servers now?
Thought you always had to pay for multiplayer...
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: February 02, 2011, 12:46:12 pm »

I mean some individual servers require payment. On the other hand, there are some pretty awesome looking servers going.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7437 on: February 02, 2011, 12:49:43 pm »

If Cheese is talking about creative, then it's free to play on servers, if you're talking about SMP, then you have to buy the game to play them, if you want to host your server on your own computer, that's free as long as you have bought the game, but if you want to have your server hosted by a professional server host, you have to pay them.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7438 on: February 02, 2011, 12:58:25 pm »

I know that you have to buy the game to get beta :/. Nevermind..

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7439 on: February 02, 2011, 01:16:31 pm »

couple of quick questions have come up for me:

Am i imagining it or are mobs drawn to the light at night? It seems really easy putting up a couple torches, going outside later and cutting up like 10 pigs and cows.
Passive mobs spawn in crazy numbers on lit grass at night. I suppose there's a desired ratio of them per however many chunks, and as they only spawn on grass in the light, that means that any grass around torches will be swarming with the obnoxious fuckers all night. This led me to build a rock wall around my mountaintop temple and replace all the grass on the mountain with sand.

Is there any way to destroy items other than finding lava to throw it into? them 500 tree saplings are getting in my way. I've started digging up patches of dirt to throw trash into which i then wall off again, but it seems tedious (and i wonder if critters will then spawn down there and moan into my ear forever on after.)
Make a flint and iron, drop them in a one tile hole, and set it on fire. Or just drop them somewhere, they'll despawn after fifteen minutes or so. Or just plant them/shove them in a chest.

Is there any way to find locate iron or diamonds other than blindly digging through thousands (literally!) of stone blocks to clutter your inventory with? (not to mention that it takes out your original few iron/diamond picks in the process).
I was hoping i'd find more ressources deep down in the earth, but all i got was eventually running into two caverns of magma and water right next to each other. Oh, and tons of stone. At bedrock level.
Dig down until you hit the giant magma caverns, dig around there, carefully. I find a straight staircase off in one direction is the most convenient way, though I suppose you could do a straight shaft with a few stone picks, so long as you accept that you're not getting out alive, then adding in ladders from the top after you respawn.

Also: damn, almost all worlds i see on youtube have more interesting features than mine. the highest elevation i've seen so far was about 15 blocks, and non-steep at that.
The fixed respawning point pretty much restricts the area i'm willing to travel :/
I've gotten mountains that extend through the clouds. Just keep regenning worlds until you get one you like.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 1380