Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1234 1235 [1236] 1237 1238 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2424317 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18525 on: August 28, 2014, 05:25:25 am »

* LordSlowpoke is looking for people interested in building stuff on a 1.6.4 vanilla creative flatgrass citybuild

pm me yo

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18526 on: August 28, 2014, 09:22:39 am »

... Why would that information not be easily obtainable? I'm confused...

It's classic design myopia; it happens a lot throughout technology.  The modmaker already knows these things, because they had to think it all up to put it in the mod.  Putting in tutorials and tooltips for other people?  That's boring work.

Getting the information into a wiki is also boring work... sometimes tedious and grindy also, especially if you need to dissect the files and scry into a crystal ball to figure things out. :/  No easy answers here.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18527 on: August 28, 2014, 10:28:11 am »

I tried asking on the official mod thread and got no answer. I guess I'll stick with just removing the wrong-biome penalty from the mod. At least that's easy to do.

Now I have a new question. I need to install OptiFine for this modpack, but I don't know how. I tried following a few tutorials and none of them worked - game crashed every time.

Right now I'm running the modpack through the Technic launcher, because that just seemed the easiest way. But I can't find a way to install OptiFine this way. Nothing works.

I've never actually added mods to the official version of the game because it's so intimidating. Sometimes I want to play vanilla, sometimes modpack A, sometimes modpack B, and the official launcher doesn't seem to offer any way to separate the game into multiple versions like that. I can choose what version of Minecraft I want to use, but not what mods I want to use. Every tool I've seen to make it "easier" to manage this actually only seems to make things more complicated and confusing.

Can anyone please help me with this? Is there a way I can add OptiFine to the game (version 1.6.4) and still play through the technic launcher? Or is there a way I can make a new installation of Minecraft with this modpack on it, and no other modpacks, and keep it separate from my vanilla Minecraft folders? I want to keep the save files separate. I'm pulling out my hair trying to make this work. : (

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #18528 on: August 28, 2014, 11:20:40 am »

If I recall, installing Optifine into Technic modpacks is mostly the same as into Vanilla Minecraft, there should be a modpack.jar folder in your modpack's bin folder, this is what you paste the Optifine files into, rather than into the Minecraft.jar. Been quite a while since I've played though, so I may be entirely incorrect. Back stuff up beforehand in any case.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18529 on: August 28, 2014, 11:26:35 am »

I tried that. Game wouldn't even start. Crashed instantly and went back to launcher.

Maybe I should ask this way: how can I set up multiple installations of Minecraft, each with their own mods, but still using the official launcher? That's what I need to figure out how to do. I want to keep my vanilla folder, version 1.7.10, and make a completely new folder which will have 1.6.4, Forge for that version, the Life in the Woods modpack, and OptiFine for that version. I'm completely and utterly lost on how to do this, and essentially need to be walked through it step by step the same way you'd give your grandmother tech support. : (

As always, thank you very much, everyone who tries to help me. I feel caught in a strange sort of limbo. I grew up with computers, always loved them, have been playing games since about 1990, yet somehow I seem to be completely lost and ignorant of how all this stuff works. On the other hand, people just a few years older than me look at me like some sort of computer wizard. Around most gamers, I feel retarded. Around almost everyone else, I'm a genius. Incredible how I managed to fall just exactly on that line.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18530 on: August 28, 2014, 11:45:24 am »

Grargh, redstone repeaters are a pain in the ass. Because it wasn't obvious that I had to orient them a certain way for them to work, nor was it mentioned in the tutorial I found. DX

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18531 on: August 28, 2014, 12:00:02 pm »

... how can I set up multiple installations of Minecraft, each with their own mods, but still using the official launcher? That's what I need to figure out how to do. I want to keep my vanilla folder, version 1.7.10, and make a completely new folder which will have 1.6.4, Forge for that version, the Life in the Woods modpack, and OptiFine for that version.

If I'm reading that correctly, you really only need two things installed: vanilla 1.7.10, and (1.6.4 + Forge, with Life in the Woods and Optifine)... yes?  If so, then you can do that with a single launcher/install.  I can write up more details later tonight; I've got class in a few hours, and reading to do...  :P

As always, thank you very much, everyone who tries to help me. I feel caught in a strange sort of limbo. ...

Computers are a huge huge field, and complex besides...  there's no way a single person can know it all.  :)
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18532 on: August 28, 2014, 12:05:14 pm »

Hm... I think I've figured out part of this, but not enough. I ran the official launcher and hit "new profile." Then, I changed the game directory in the profile editor to a new one (.woods instead of .minecraft). I set the version to 1.6.4 and told it to run. It came up fine: the game appears to have launched from the new directory, and there are new files in the .woods directory. I closed the game and started the Forge 1.6.4 installer, pointing it to the new directory.

I got an error message: The directory is missing a launcher profile. Please run the Minecraft launcher first.

I re-ran it a few times, but the message is the same. What have I missed? Do I have to copy something to the new folder? I don't know what needs to be there.

Apokaladle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18533 on: August 28, 2014, 12:15:33 pm »

I think MultiMC (http://multimc.org/) should help you out.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18534 on: August 28, 2014, 12:36:08 pm »

MultiMC won't let her use the Technic launcher, though?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18535 on: August 28, 2014, 12:41:54 pm »

I don't care about using the Technic launcher. I was only using that because I didn't know any other way to have multiple installations of Minecraft.

I'm downloading it now. If it allows me to truly create separate installations in which I can install Forge, my modpack, and Optifine, I will be happy.

Is there really no way to do it using the official launcher? The optifine installation instructions seem to repeat pretty often that you must use the official launcher for it to work properly...

EDIT: Um. Is there, like... a manual, or tutorial, or something for this thing? I have no idea what the hell I'm looking at here or how to use it, or where to put the mods, or anything.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:45:11 pm by Sappho »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18536 on: August 28, 2014, 01:27:01 pm »

I don't care about using the Technic launcher. I was only using that because I didn't know any other way to have multiple installations of Minecraft.

I'm downloading it now. If it allows me to truly create separate installations in which I can install Forge, my modpack, and Optifine, I will be happy.

Is there really no way to do it using the official launcher? The optifine installation instructions seem to repeat pretty often that you must use the official launcher for it to work properly...

EDIT: Um. Is there, like... a manual, or tutorial, or something for this thing? I have no idea what the hell I'm looking at here or how to use it, or where to put the mods, or anything.
Due to the complications of the official launcher, file modification is much harder than it was previously, because the game scrubs its main archive upon launch. Hence, while previously different versions simply required the swapping out of game folders, actually modifying the game requires one to tell the launcher an edited archive is a version of the game. This is necessary to install Forge, although it should come with proper documentation for creating a Forge archive, if it doesn't just come prepackaged now. For the rest, unofficial API technology has advanced to the point that you just need to create a "mods" folder in the main directory and place the proper archives within.

EDIT: Reviewing recent documentation, it does appear that Forge is now prepackaged. Just place the Forge archive in the folder with the other Minecraft versions, make a profile using it, and place the other required mods in the mod folder.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 01:29:48 pm by Remuthra »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18537 on: August 28, 2014, 01:38:11 pm »

The real issue seems to be that all the mods in the minecraft folder are automatically used whenever you start a game version capable of using them. I have some mods for 1.6.4 that I want to keep, but use separately from other mods I want to use for 1.6.4. So I really need to find a way to make separate instances of the game, like the Technic launcher does.

I'm trying this MultiMC, but it just spent half an hour downloading assets from Mojang, then froze. I'll try again, I guess. : /

EDIT: Just managed to get the MultiMC launcher to launch the game, then closed it. Tried to run the Forge installer, but getting the same error as before. Ideas?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 01:40:37 pm by Sappho »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18538 on: August 28, 2014, 01:40:34 pm »

I suggest using multiple mod folders. Give the one you want to use at the moment the "mods" name, and give the other ones names like "mods.alt" so the game doesn't recognize them, then change the names when you want a different configuration.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18539 on: August 28, 2014, 01:41:31 pm »

That's what Aristabulus suggested. It's starting to seem like the only viable option. I can't seem to install Forge on the MultiMC instance of minecraft. It's still looking for the official launcher, I guess.

So frustrating. : (
Pages: 1 ... 1234 1235 [1236] 1237 1238 ... 1380