Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 934 935 [936] 937 938 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2425445 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #14025 on: November 14, 2011, 02:59:23 pm »

Not to mention the idea of a "final" boss suggests an ending, which suggests a plot, which Minecraft doesn't have in any form. And I, at least, would like to keep my virtual parapets safe from someone else's idea of why I'm playing the game.

I don't know. I kind of liked Notch's original description of a roguelike inspired, extremely difficult, completely optional adventure with some kind of finale. The only problem from my perspective is the current implementation.

The Enderdragon is cool, I'll admit. But the problem is they're pasting it as the final boss, even when Minecraft doesn't even have other bosses than that. Would be nice if it dropped some kind of endermatter which you can form tools.

But no, they had to put a poem and send you back to your spawn after that.

In short, they're implementing it wrong, as you've said.

To me, this is actually what makes the Enderdragon more acceptable.  Everybody plays Minecraft differently, but almost everybody has the same urge to acquire every material the game allows, if just to experiment with it once.  If the Enderdragon gave any kind of unique reward for beating it, then it would be mentally "necessary" to go fight it at some point.  With no reward unique to the dragon, you can easily pretend it doesn't exist if you want, since you tackle it entirely at your own leisure with a pretty involved process.

Fighting it is a completely totally optional challenge that will never effect your game unless you seek it out, so in my book it's as good as not there if you don't want it to be.

Yes, I know damn well people aren't going to see that way, there's always that "that it exists at all is bad enough" attitude.  You pays your monies and you takes your chances.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14026 on: November 14, 2011, 03:01:08 pm »

Wait what happens when you kill the enderdragon and then go back to the world and then go back to The End again?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14027 on: November 14, 2011, 03:17:06 pm »

I guess it's just me then. I mean, I'm comfortable with the idea of having to survive on my own, against nature and the wilderness. Minecraft isn't like that though, you aren't fighting things that feel pain or fear, you're fighting the idea of evil itself. An omnipresent force that seems benign enough, but exists only to see your destruction, and each individual one hellbent on killing you themself. You can repel it, but never conquer it, and the threat of any one lurking into my well-lit cavern abode is quite frankly, completely mortifying. Hence my feeling that it's a horror movie-turn-videogame, and I'm a coward since it's just a game get over it.

And I'll be damned if I play any difficulty other than normal.

Y'know, you've actually put into words a feeling I've had since the Classic Sandbox days that I've never been able to shake.  That deep and heavy feeling of being both totally and utterly alone in the world, and yet...

There's something else out there, hiding from me over the infinite horizon.  And it's coming.  Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow.  But someday, I'm going to have to fight for my life against a foe I can't even imagine, because there's nothing more terrifying than... nothing.  A nothing you fill in yourself.

It's effected my building strategies ever since I first started playing, focusing on defense and preparation long before there was even anything to defend against.  I start by leaving as little footprint as possible, trying to hide myself in the terrain, until I have enough supplies to build a serious fortification.  I don't even move in until I know it's secure.  I build high, high walls and overlapping fields of fire (even though I'm alone), and entrances I can seal, and emergency supply stocks.  All sorts of defenses that are pointless when the engine allows for coming through the walls, but there's no foe who does that intentionally.

Except Endermen I guess.  Which might be the creepiest thing about them.  The ability to effect the world the same way as the player, however slowly, with that sense of alien purpose.

Then eventually, after spending so much time trying to build a fort surreptitiously, once I know it's solid I cap the whole thing with giant lighthouses.  I'm not even sure why.  It's like I'm trying to get the attention of anyone else out there in the world in case I'm not totally alone (which since I never play multiplayer, I know I am, but that's not the point), as if to say, come here and join me, and we'll be safer together.

And maybe, just maybe, to draw the attention of my nameless, faceless enemy.  I'm tired of waiting, I'm ready for you.  Let's settle this.

In a sense, I've always played Minecraft like it's a horror game, well before there were even mobs.  I always remember when mobs were first introduced and they would spawn in huge piles all over the damn place, I loaded a sandbox map with a big castle I was proud of.  As advertised, they spawned everywhere, and my castle was useless.  It was logical of course, and pretty fun, but just a little unsettling.  May be why I like to build bolt-holes so much.

Boy, I get the feeling I really ought to be playing multiplayer.  Except multiplayer servers are full of dicks, so maybe I'll just stick to being neurotic in singleplayer.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14028 on: November 14, 2011, 03:31:13 pm »

I like setting up little servers for just a couple frends.  It's like any other game night.  And it's most fun (from that perspective) if you don't really build while alone, make everything co-op.

And yes, I feel that horror too.  Crave the coming nothing.  Long to see waves of pain and anguish wash across the land, giving me reason to hold up in my castle...and if necessary, flee it at a moment's notice by minecart.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14029 on: November 14, 2011, 03:32:48 pm »

Quick question, if you're just running a temporary server to play with a few friends, will it run fine if you host it on the same computer you're playing on? I have a good computer (runs BF3 and Skyrim on ultra) so I can't see it being a problem, but thought I'd ask.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14030 on: November 14, 2011, 03:43:35 pm »

I always play on peaceful.

Because I always get scared as hell in caves. Is there a creeper behind that corner? Will a creeper come from one direction if I go in the other? At some point it comes to the question of whetever I wall off everything ever, or turn it to peaceful.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14031 on: November 14, 2011, 03:46:53 pm »

I guess it's just me then. I mean, I'm comfortable with the idea of having to survive on my own, against nature and the wilderness. Minecraft isn't like that though, you aren't fighting things that feel pain or fear, you're fighting the idea of evil itself. An omnipresent force that seems benign enough, but exists only to see your destruction, and each individual one hellbent on killing you themself. You can repel it, but never conquer it, and the threat of any one lurking into my well-lit cavern abode is quite frankly, completely mortifying. Hence my feeling that it's a horror movie-turn-videogame, and I'm a coward since it's just a game get over it.

And I'll be damned if I play any difficulty other than normal.

Y'know, you've actually put into words a feeling I've had since the Classic Sandbox days that I've never been able to shake.  That deep and heavy feeling of being both totally and utterly alone in the world, and yet...

There's something else out there, hiding from me over the infinite horizon.  And it's coming.  Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow.  But someday, I'm going to have to fight for my life against a foe I can't even imagine, because there's nothing more terrifying than... nothing.  A nothing you fill in yourself.

It's effected my building strategies ever since I first started playing, focusing on defense and preparation long before there was even anything to defend against.  I start by leaving as little footprint as possible, trying to hide myself in the terrain, until I have enough supplies to build a serious fortification.  I don't even move in until I know it's secure.  I build high, high walls and overlapping fields of fire (even though I'm alone), and entrances I can seal, and emergency supply stocks.  All sorts of defenses that are pointless when the engine allows for coming through the walls, but there's no foe who does that intentionally.

Except Endermen I guess.  Which might be the creepiest thing about them.  The ability to effect the world the same way as the player, however slowly, with that sense of alien purpose.

Then eventually, after spending so much time trying to build a fort surreptitiously, once I know it's solid I cap the whole thing with giant lighthouses.  I'm not even sure why.  It's like I'm trying to get the attention of anyone else out there in the world in case I'm not totally alone (which since I never play multiplayer, I know I am, but that's not the point), as if to say, come here and join me, and we'll be safer together.

And maybe, just maybe, to draw the attention of my nameless, faceless enemy.  I'm tired of waiting, I'm ready for you.  Let's settle this.

In a sense, I've always played Minecraft like it's a horror game, well before there were even mobs.  I always remember when mobs were first introduced and they would spawn in huge piles all over the damn place, I loaded a sandbox map with a big castle I was proud of.  As advertised, they spawned everywhere, and my castle was useless.  It was logical of course, and pretty fun, but just a little unsettling.  May be why I like to build bolt-holes so much.

Boy, I get the feeling I really ought to be playing multiplayer.  Except multiplayer servers are full of dicks, so maybe I'll just stick to being neurotic in singleplayer.
Fuck now I want to mod in the slow corruption of the world, with an increase in mob activity as time goes by and specific ways to remove or hold back corruption. Maybe with little corrupt nexus which spread it that you can then defeat to remove it for a while.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14032 on: November 14, 2011, 03:51:56 pm »

Fuck now I want to mod in the slow corruption of the world, with an increase in mob activity as time goes by and specific ways to remove or hold back corruption. Maybe with little corrupt nexus which spread it that you can then defeat to remove it for a while.
Screw nexuses.

It will be a slow wave that moves towards where you are. There is no stopping it. At some point the place you have decided to take as your home will be corrupted by it and you will have to leave. Will you be underground and unable to leave when it reaches you, will it be night, with endermen watching you run?

Sorta like the shadow thing from Amnesia.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14033 on: November 14, 2011, 04:00:31 pm »

Waiting forever for an attack that will never come... reminds me of this.
I hope you will get a better end, aqizzar.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14034 on: November 14, 2011, 04:32:53 pm »

Yeah at least my idea gives you an opportunity to defend your shit

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #14035 on: November 14, 2011, 04:45:30 pm »

I actually like Cerapa's idea, since I really dislike camping in one spot. Would cause some suspense to suddenly be mining and suddenly have a wave of darkness slowly move towards you.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #14036 on: November 14, 2011, 04:52:01 pm »

Yeah, but what about people that do like camping in one spot? :P

Not to mention I like the idea of having several outposts in the middle of a giant expanse of corruption.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14037 on: November 14, 2011, 04:58:12 pm »

I need a codeslave proficient in java to implement my vision.

Any takers?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14038 on: November 14, 2011, 04:58:42 pm »

in minecraft i had a really really creepy start.
i started off on a patch of land with a small cave. (you know, i'm getting lucky/unlucky with seeds) so, the cave was small, empty, only some coal. i chopped down the only tree of the island, and started digging down for some stone before leaving.
placed torches everywhere.
didn't have to kill many things.
so, as i'm near the craft table making the boat when i finish i realize there are purple stars in my vision.
i turn around real slowly and see an endermen.
i simply jumped and made my way to the water with a FUUUuuuuuuuu RUN FOR YOUR LIFEEEEE yell.
i didn't even look at him in the eyes, but he was looking at me.
like he was saying "i'm here. and even in this lit cave, i'm coming for you".
from there on i swore that in this game, if an endermen ever enters one of my refuges at night, i have to leave it and build another one further away.
right now i'm camping in an npc village, which i have lit, fortified, and am in the process of making a magma moat.
and at night, when i see mobs spawn i pray.
i pray for no endermen to ever walk through.
because yes, they are friggin scary.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14039 on: November 14, 2011, 05:01:17 pm »

They'd be sacrier if they had their own sound bite and didn't play zombie sounds. I want creepy ethereal sounds and some kind of weird keening when you look them in the eye.

Then absolute silence while they are trying to kill you.
Pages: 1 ... 934 935 [936] 937 938 ... 1380