Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 933 934 [935] 936 937 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2425509 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #14010 on: November 14, 2011, 02:30:22 am »

I hate to whine but I agree with you when it comes to the more recent stuff. My favourite semi-recent additions are the new fighting mechanics and sprinting. I'd of liked to have seen the dungeons expanded with bosses in them perhaps. Aren't there going to be themed expansion packs after 1.0?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14011 on: November 14, 2011, 02:48:33 am »

I agree with that a little bit. Nothing in the 1.9 pre-releases seems to have really enhanced the vanilla feel very much; potion brewing and dragonslaying and enchanted equipment all feels a little tacked-on, more like an officially-incorporated mod than an update to the game. I was hoping Notch would pull some magic that tied it all together, but it looks like that's not going to happen before 1.0.

Took the words right out of my mouth. It seems like Mojang just doesn't realize what made minecraft so popular and unique in the first place. Either that or they are just adding on superfluous and ill-fitting features so that they can release a "finished" version of a game that was essentially done months ago.

Indeed. I don't agree with them making final bosses, or even adding an ending to that! Terraria had bosses, and was practically a Minecraft clone, granted. But they didn't add endings to that game, and each world was a unique biome, instead of a boss arena with tons of endermen floating in the nothingness.

Minecraft is a sandbox game, and they kinda forgot what that means.

+1 to this. The idea of bosses doesn't work particularly well in a sandbox game. Terraria is a good example- you are actually forced to farm the bosses to get the better pickaxe to proceed with the game, and if you're farming bosses they don't really feel like a boss-style challenge anymore. Skeletron is the only one that currently works, since a) you only have to fight him once and b) he's only there to ensure that you have the proper skills and equipment to pillage the area he guards.

Not to mention the idea of a "final" boss suggests an ending, which suggests a plot, which Minecraft doesn't have in any form. And I, at least, would like to keep my virtual parapets safe from someone else's idea of why I'm playing the game.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14012 on: November 14, 2011, 02:59:11 am »

I agree with that a little bit. Nothing in the 1.9 pre-releases seems to have really enhanced the vanilla feel very much; potion brewing and dragonslaying and enchanted equipment all feels a little tacked-on, more like an officially-incorporated mod than an update to the game. I was hoping Notch would pull some magic that tied it all together, but it looks like that's not going to happen before 1.0.

Took the words right out of my mouth. It seems like Mojang just doesn't realize what made minecraft so popular and unique in the first place. Either that or they are just adding on superfluous and ill-fitting features so that they can release a "finished" version of a game that was essentially done months ago.

Indeed. I don't agree with them making final bosses, or even adding an ending to that! Terraria had bosses, and was practically a Minecraft clone, granted. But they didn't add endings to that game, and each world was a unique biome, instead of a boss arena with tons of endermen floating in the nothingness.

EDIT: If they wanted to add bosses, they should add 'super beings', which have high health, high damage, are not to be underestimated by just cherry tapping them.

Something like a boss to unlock a dungeon would be alright, but a boss that ends the game? No way.
Quoted for truth. Minecraft doesn't need "final bosses", it needs more open-endedness! I do like the idea of super-mobs, and they wouldn't be terribly hard to implement:

At least in older versions, slimes would only spawn in certain chunks, and only deep underground. If you didn't find those chunks, or there weren't any cave systems nearby, you might never find slimes. Perhaps each super-mob would have certain spawning rules and a percentage chance of appearing when the chunk is generated. Perhaps Minecraft could take a page out of Terraria's  book and make craftable summoning devices.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14013 on: November 14, 2011, 03:07:54 am »

Not to mention the idea of a "final" boss suggests an ending, which suggests a plot, which Minecraft doesn't have in any form. And I, at least, would like to keep my virtual parapets safe from someone else's idea of why I'm playing the game.

I don't know. I kind of liked Notch's original description of a rougelike inspired, extremely difficult, completely optional adventure with some kind of finale. The only problem from my perspective is the current implementation.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14014 on: November 14, 2011, 03:14:25 am »

I don't know. I kind of liked Notch's original description of a roguelike inspired, extremely difficult, completely optional adventure with some kind of finale. The only problem from my perspective is the current implementation.

The Enderdragon is cool, I'll admit. But the problem is they're pasting it as the final boss, even when Minecraft doesn't even have other bosses than that. Would be nice if it dropped some kind of endermatter which you can form tools.

But no, they had to put a poem and send you back to your spawn after that.

In short, they're implementing it wrong, as you've said.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14015 on: November 14, 2011, 03:19:32 am »

probably villagers will be smarter and have quests.
like kill big spider-o
or save the village from creepers explosion! you then earn objects, tools, or maybe a house.
at least, when all the concepts of "owning" get fitted in, if they are fitted in.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14016 on: November 14, 2011, 05:01:00 am »

Notch has said himself during the infdev stage that he doesn't want minecraft to be a sandbox building block game.
I just hope they will finally add some real adventure game elements to it when the "full" version is done.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14017 on: November 14, 2011, 01:18:17 pm »

Ever since Endermen were added, I can't shake the feeling that I'm playing a horror movie-turn-videogame. I just can't get into the game when I'm quaking in terror that I'll be horribly killed and made destitute at a moment's notice.

I guess I'm just a coward.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14018 on: November 14, 2011, 01:19:09 pm »

But endermen are complete pushovers. You can usually kill them before they even react.
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14019 on: November 14, 2011, 01:22:42 pm »

Ever since Endermen were added, I can't shake the feeling that I'm playing a horror movie-turn-videogame. I just can't get into the game when I'm quaking in terror that I'll be horribly killed and made destitute at a moment's notice.

I am so gonna hax your game and add in the angel statues from Dr. Who without telling you.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14020 on: November 14, 2011, 01:37:04 pm »

If they just popped up in my game.... I'd probably just turn it off and never play again.... That'd be a good secret halloween update really..

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14021 on: November 14, 2011, 01:41:15 pm »

I am so gonna hax your game and add in the angel statues from Dr. Who without telling you.

I guess it's just me then. I mean, I'm comfortable with the idea of having to survive on my own, against nature and the wilderness. Minecraft isn't like that though, you aren't fighting things that feel pain or fear, you're fighting the idea of evil itself. An omnipresent force that seems benign enough, but exists only to see your destruction, and each individual one hellbent on killing you themself. You can repel it, but never conquer it, and the threat of any one lurking into my well-lit cavern abode is quite frankly, completely mortifying. Hence my feeling that it's a horror movie-turn-videogame, and I'm a coward since it's just a game get over it.

And I'll be damned if I play any difficulty other than normal.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14022 on: November 14, 2011, 01:43:50 pm »

Any idea if they've actually finished up any of the incomplete stuff before the game releases? Particularly I'm thinking of maps, which were to have multiple zoom levels, and be able to hang on walls and/or trade and name etc.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14023 on: November 14, 2011, 02:38:13 pm »

You can't do that with maps yet?! What on earth. I just assumed they were in when they were put in. I haven't played with them yet.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14024 on: November 14, 2011, 02:43:23 pm »

Unless I'm missing something, there was just one standard zoom level, and no way to even rename them.
Pages: 1 ... 933 934 [935] 936 937 ... 1380