Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fear of the Hammer(er)  (Read 2228 times)

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of the Hammer(er)
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 08:34:10 pm »

I've fed my two hammerers so far to the magma god.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 08:52:37 pm »

I wouldn't think they make friends very quickly, no great loss.

Some people consider not appointing sheriffs\fortress guard to be 'cheating'

Hm...I usually don't have fortress guards & hammerers at all, and I am not considering it cheating. Why should that be "cheating"? I don't even understand it.  ???

This is a single player game. You play the game the way you want to play it. There is no such concept as cheating in a single player game. Enjoy.

Exactly.

However, it may not be "in keeping with the spirit in which the game was originally presented" - or something along those lines.  Some players feel that, for them, there is something "purer" about adhering to all the odd social quirks and written and unwritten social and legal expectations, and not sidestepping them just because you can.

And that works for them.

That's why. And that's the only reason.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 08:57:35 pm by Albedo »

WhatDoesThisLeverDo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 12:18:48 am »

I have simply never installed a guard because I do not feel like it. I am not that good at the game, haha.

That Zero Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 01:04:26 am »

When Urist McHammertime comes out to play, Urist McHammertime goes to his room and gets Urist McHammertime's door gets locked. Then, Urist McLeverpull plays with his long and hard shaft placed outside Urist McHammertime's door.

Urist McHammertime suddenly gets caved-in.

Urist McIlikestrikingmicroline then makes a new room for another Urist McHammertime to come along.

Fun times for all!

McSmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2009, 12:29:42 pm »

My preferred method of controlling the hammerer is brain damage. Simpy drop your hammerer from increasing heights until he manages to land on his head without dying. Mine has been convalescing in the barracks for about 4 years so far, being spoonfed wine roasts by the guards while he drools on ecstatically.
Engraved on the wall is a masterfully designed image of elves. The elves are weeping.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 12:42:44 pm »

I only kill unreasonable nobles.  My current leader likes aluminum, but no biggy, I dug out like 10 small clusters of.it.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2009, 01:31:10 pm »

I built a special room for my hammerer. As soon as you assign it to him/her, they tend to go to their room to check out their newly acquired property for a few seconds. As soon as they go in, I lock the door and pull the level just outside, opening a floodgate and flooding the room with magma. Pump it out from above back into the lava filled tunnel (also used for my magma forges) and you now have no need to worry about the hammerer for another year! The best part is, their steel war hammers (often high quality) doesn't melt, and so it is a nice weapon for flux-less maps.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2009, 02:42:33 pm »

The main advantage of having a guard is that it makes dwarfs more reassured (they aren't "concerned about the lack of guards in the fortress").  Also, it's hilarious and fun, sometimes.  For instance, when I was flooding my last fortress to destroy it (as one does) and a huge group of dwarfs were stuck in a lower area, and all tantrumming, they kept getting arrested.  One dwarf killed a dog, and got sent to jail.  They then wounded a guard and killed another in a tantrum.  They then killed their cellmate, and smashed several chains and ropes.  In the end, they had a 450 day sentence (no beating though, weirdly.  I guess the guards were too afraid to approach him).  Anyway, what was his profession?  Legendary gem cuttter.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 06:18:45 pm »

Damn!! all my work and I cheated  :-X

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2009, 06:51:12 pm »

I wouldn't think they make friends very quickly, no great loss.

Hm...I usually don't have fortress guards & hammerers at all, and I am not considering it cheating. Why should that be "cheating"? I don't even understand it.  ???

This is a single player game. You play the game the way you want to play it. There is no such concept as cheating in a single player game. Enjoy.

Exactly.

However, it may not be "in keeping with the spirit in which the game was originally presented" - or something along those lines.  Some players feel that, for them, there is something "purer" about adhering to all the odd social quirks and written and unwritten social and legal expectations, and not sidestepping them just because you can.

And that works for them.

That's why. And that's the only reason.

I disagree, to be brutally honest.
Obviously, it's different in cases where you're using something as excessive as dwarf foreman, but it's... y'know, not DF kosher.
Like quantum stockpiling. Or atomsmashing. Or trade depot dismantling. Frowned upon ^^
Sure, we all use them every now and again for kicks, or for the laughs. But playing a game where you constantly use these things and it's no where near as fun as playing without them. More rewarding. Or something.

Although i must admit, i personally don't assign a captain or fortress guard. Waste of good champions.
Yeah, it's personal preference, but it has it's limits.
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2009, 12:45:25 am »

what's "quantum stockpiling"
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

FellMoodFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2009, 04:23:12 am »

Quantum Stockpile: A one-tile dump zone can accept any quantity of objects dumped onto it without any negative effects, even if the 10,000 stones inside it would normally fill a 100x100 tile stone stockpile.  Simply claim the stones afterwards and your masons, mechanics, and stonecrafters can put them to good use
The denser the dwarf, the more likely he'll survive his stupidity.

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2009, 05:30:05 am »

ah, I've tosed my stone into one of those, but mostly the stone I don't intend to use, ever.  I see no reason to do anything with 10k stones of alunite, when I have 30k stones of obcidian
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Dkarrde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2009, 06:27:32 am »

I use quantum stockpiling because a messy floor annoys the bejeezus out of me, and there's no way I'm going to have enough stockpile space to handle individual tiles per stone.  Just not practical.  Even stonecrafters can't handle the load, really.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2009, 06:44:00 am »

I just let my training catapults fire into a wall with a channel under it. The stone isn't forbidden, but is inaccesible until I dig to it if needed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3