Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 808458 times)

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #13635 on: June 15, 2010, 03:28:09 pm »

Quick question (as i've never had the honour of looking at our source). How does the new atmos system work around picking up and moving stuff. If I got a super heavy item (weight class 16 or something) and droped it near a hull breach, what would happen? Not move much, move slower then normal or just go?

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13636 on: June 15, 2010, 03:45:20 pm »

As a small bonus, have a gander at this obsessively overdone atmospherics department done up on a whim a while back:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/darkflight_devil/OverdoneAtmos.png

And yes, any new station will have proper compartmentalization.  We'll also include monitors so you can see if the door you're about to open is going to leave you gasping for air.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13637 on: June 15, 2010, 03:55:08 pm »

If we are creating a new station, I believe high clearence areas shouldnt be right next to "I iz assistant fun zones" areas. For instance, the bridge is right next to the courtroom. Just zip through two R-walls and your in.

Plasma Research is just one door away from getting inside.

Atmospherics is right next to the AI area, just a few walls and your in range for a bomb.  You can also make bombs in atmos, by the way. Hot ones.

AI area is two doors away.

Ect.

So like the station should be devided up into specialized areas. Plasma Research is behind genetics, engineering is connected to EVA(and EVA is not right out in the open). The bridge is better fortified, perhaps behind security HQ, because right now, its 2 r-walls away from the courtroom. HoS+HoM offices are right in the open too, they should be like in the bridge or something, imo. And so on.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13638 on: June 15, 2010, 03:57:45 pm »

I disagree. It takes a skilled assistant to get through without being noticed.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13639 on: June 15, 2010, 03:59:38 pm »

Not really, just break through from the lawyer's office.  Unless you *have* a lawyer, it's a pretty safe bet if nobody's on the bridge.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13640 on: June 15, 2010, 04:07:28 pm »

I disagree. It takes a skilled assistant to get through without being noticed.

Well, not necessary get noticed, its just that its easaly possible. In a rebellion, the bridge would be the first target, and it should be hard to reach with lockdowns and automated defences.(unless Nano wants to lose valuable merchandise  :-\)

Which brings me to an idea. If the bridge is better fortified, it should have more uses. I was thinking along the lines of a simple control scheme of the AI. You use a computer and have a range of options. There are a list of "areas" and you can do several things to each area. Like lock it down, take power off, or vacuum it(if we ever get that ability). Areas would be thing such as "engine block" "Main Security(brig + HQ + spare supplies + detective stuff)" and hallways. You wouldnt be able to use cameras, which would leave the security camera council a use still.

Also, the bridge is the control area of a vessil in most navy vessels and space fiction, it would make sense. Plus, since its simple, the AI is still very useful.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13641 on: June 15, 2010, 04:14:04 pm »

There's roleplaying, but that's not what it's all about.

Mostly it's just..running the ship while things explode and people try to murder everyone. That sounds about right.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13642 on: June 15, 2010, 04:20:12 pm »

Aye, on our server 90% of RP is just staying alive and doing your job, both the overt job and if given your secret job. On the goon server, 90% of the RP is throwing poo.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13643 on: June 15, 2010, 04:30:14 pm »

Space Station 13 is very much MuchBetterThanItSounds.

Anyways I'm starting to port BS12 stuff to the GS codebase now.

Fastler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13644 on: June 15, 2010, 04:33:13 pm »

In a rebellion, the bridge would be the first target, and it should be hard to reach with lockdowns and automated defences.

I once managed to take over the bridge as an assistant because someone had left the door to the teleporter open. Pop in and start braining people with a crowbar. Worked a charm. Of course i couldn't get back out again.
I hear if you combine them with dwarven syrup you can make rhesus pieces.

There are no Kangaroos in Austria. Trust me.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13645 on: June 15, 2010, 05:08:07 pm »

why not just use their Ids?

Anyways I am currently merging in the computer networks code into the GS codebase, and it's mostly working all right.  After that, I'll merge in our admin panel (and some auxiliary code in it that some of the other bs12 stuff uses) into the codebase and start testing stuff.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13646 on: June 15, 2010, 05:16:57 pm »

Don't forget to merge my teleporter!

Perhaps the station could have propulsion? The ISS has to make corrective burns because it is in the atmosphere. Also the station could move, with various objects apearing (possibly on Z 2 to make more room) ie asteroids, pirate ships etc. The runtime map loader could be used for this and you simply store an X and Y for station then a list of events to be assigned at start of round to random X and Y locations.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 05:19:25 pm by alfie275 »
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13647 on: June 15, 2010, 05:19:38 pm »

I think a pirate mode would be pretty cool. Have a controllable shuttle, and then have an RP raid on the station.
They'd steal as much stuff (valuables from crew members, equiment) as they can.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13648 on: June 15, 2010, 05:21:57 pm »

You mentioned having a new map more like a ship.. is there any paticular reason why it cant be a ship?
I don't see why it has to be a station.. i think flying the ship around, visiting astroids to mine, or docking at spacestations or visiting other planets ect would give us lots of options.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13649 on: June 15, 2010, 05:31:06 pm »

Generally it's a station because of the backstory and since it has an AI satellite in some modes.  Apart from that, I don't see why it can't just be a stationary ship.

Anyways, success!  Merged computer networks in and they're working great.  Pod-door controllers no longer work unless connected via a network  :P
Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 950