Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 809331 times)

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #12270 on: May 12, 2010, 05:19:03 pm »

I don't code much, so that decision isn't really up to me.

Headswe, Googolplexed, Sukasa, what do you all think?
I'll package up some code later today from an older version of the git repo.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12271 on: May 12, 2010, 07:10:49 pm »

We could do what I did with Saint (Mr. Peanuts) and just give a custom-marked copy of the minimum files needed for hosting to people.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12272 on: May 12, 2010, 07:41:07 pm »

Yeah, we were talking about compiling it and sending the compiled stuff over.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12273 on: May 12, 2010, 08:15:57 pm »

Side note: If you send just the compiled files over without the source or any way to get the source which corresponds to those files, you're violating the licensing conditions that derive from OpenSS13, though - even if you're missing the license document in the source or the like. (LGPL)

(Which means someone with the compiled files could demand the source from you, and presuming they had a lawyer, could be a nuisance)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12274 on: May 12, 2010, 08:55:35 pm »

That'd be nice if we were based off of OpenSS13.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12275 on: May 12, 2010, 09:31:06 pm »

And what do you think it is based off of?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12276 on: May 12, 2010, 11:16:30 pm »

And what do you think it is based off of?
Open SS13 is a different branch from us, I believe.

Therefore we aren't bound by their license.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12277 on: May 12, 2010, 11:43:58 pm »

The leaked goon source licence.

REALLY FLIPPING OLD Leaked Goon source.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12278 on: May 12, 2010, 11:46:42 pm »

A "nice try" card?  :D

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12279 on: May 13, 2010, 12:44:25 am »

If you forked from really old leaked source, explain how you got the AI which I coded, and the airlock hacking which I coded, and the pipes, power, and so on which were added by hobnob in 2007-early 2008 or so (IIRC - the svn history on the sourceforge openss13 repository doesn't go back before april 2008, and they were done before that), and all the other things which weren't in the leaked source. (And even if someone managed to pull off a miraculous copypasta/merging job, all of that should have been infected by LGPL licensing because they were either from openss13 or were code which was forked from openss13).

My pre-merge code doesn't seem to have a license file in it, which, if you are also lacking one, would explain why. However, that doesn't mean it isn't subject to a license, because the code it was forked to DID have a license file in it. It was only missing due to an oversight (I missed the file at some point in the process of preparing the forked version - don't ask me why, it's sitting in /trunk in my non-updated openss13 folder, although it's named lgpl-3.0.txt instead of LICENSE for some reason... which might be why, actually, it's rather non-attention-getting). There has been an lgpl-3.0.txt file in the openss13 trunk since april 6 2008, the first revision on their sourceforge svn, when it was imported from some other repository on ss13.net (I can't see back before then, since the previous repository no longer exists). My first changes were on 3/26/2008, presumably based on either the other svn repository or a download (I don't remember), and my last released version before merging with openss13 was on april 29 2008.

More likely (as others have stated, and as what I've seen in the station suggests) you forked the goons' version (I won't try to guess what version of it), which already had the AI etc, due to having been forked from an intermediate version of my version from 2008 (not the april 29th version, an earlier one), according to a statement from one of the developers of it in 2008 - although since it has all the stuff I made it up to a certain point it would have to be fairly obvious :P. Well, obvious to me, anyways. I could probably find the cutoff point by looking up when I implemented round explosions, which you are missing.

In any event, even if you did fork off some other version, any version which has the AI in it, which is basically every version of SS13 in existence now, would have to be (a) forked from my version, which came from openss13 (the license file being missing when I packaged it up was due to it being overlooked, as I've said), or (b) from the merged openss13 after I merged my version back into it (which does have the license file in it, though I think everyone used one or another version of the goons' fork), or (c) copied the code for the AI, airlock hacking, and whatever else, out of some other version, which means it's subject to the licensing conditions covering that code. That would be the LGPL still.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12280 on: May 13, 2010, 01:07:27 am »

I'll make this easy.

When we ("we" being the current dev team) came into possession of the code, there was no license file, and no license mentioned to us.  I don't really know (or honestly, care) who stripped the license as I've never met them.  All I have to say is, by the time we got it there was no license and thus we never did and also can't break it.  As such, status quo.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12281 on: May 13, 2010, 01:09:25 am »

Besides, even if we broke the LGPL, what point are you trying to make?  That you don't like that we're not going by LGPL anymore?

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12282 on: May 13, 2010, 01:14:43 am »

Also, noone would hire lawyer just to get some source code.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12283 on: May 13, 2010, 01:15:15 am »

Besides, how are you going to sue Internet Tough Guy #83?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12284 on: May 13, 2010, 01:23:00 am »

Also, noone would hire lawyer just to get some source code.
You sure?
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 950