Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 740 741 [742] 743 744 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 808420 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #11115 on: April 24, 2010, 03:47:32 pm »

Things that need to be up:  "good" chem recipes, filters, and a warning not to just chop all the wires in airlocks.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11116 on: April 24, 2010, 04:07:52 pm »

What about filters?

And why hide chem. internals when all you can currenty find on the Internet ARE the dangerous ones.
I keep : Sulfuric Acid, Hydrochloric Acid, Water (obvious, acid precursour), Chloroform (broken?), Lithium Ion Phosphate (not really dangerous), Thermite, Smoke Bomb, Mustard Gas (broken?), Incendiary Grenade, Overpowered Incendiary Grenade, Insanely Overpowered Incendiary Grenade, Space Drugs, and Silicate (though I had a harder time finding it) recipies in a text file handy.

I also don't see how Genetics should be classified. If your RNG is so bad, find a new one. Anyone competent knows how to revive, and which values have a chance of being powers (though for me that last is mostly based on hearsay). There realy should be more "magic" to genetics than brute-forcing certain SE fields for the ones with positive effects. It gets boreing when you realise that any abnormality is either good or bad and there is no way to do tissue-scale and/or automated testing. I propose that petri-dish testing should be possible, but some disabilities look identical to some powers. Eg, Hulk-Cancer or X-ray-Blind or something. More mutations would be good too. Maybe varying degrees of power/disability?

Pick Yer Poison

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch yer back, soldier.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11117 on: April 24, 2010, 04:11:45 pm »

Hoo boy, looks like I'm gonna go on a proofreading spree. Lots of new stuff up just waiting for a sound smack in the grammar. (Yes, I know that made no sense.)

Pick Yer Poison

GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Lend a hand to the Bay Station 12 Space Station 13 wiki!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11118 on: April 24, 2010, 04:42:02 pm »

Out of curiosity, where does your code derive from? That is, did it come from the goons' branch (which branched off from an earlier version of OpenSS13 or my version, I forget which; I think they had to recreate some of my bugfixes), or some version of OpenSS13, or...? I was just looking at the last public version of the goons' code and noticed that for some odd reason my comments in the source code (which are in OpenSS13's source) were missing, and the version of the plasma tank explosion with the (not unoptimized) circular rather than square explosion shape wasn't in their version either (which was where most of the comments were). I didn't make very many comments in it, apparently. Note: My BYOND name is Trafalgar, which is what I signed my comments with in the source. On sourceforge I'm shadowlord13, but for some reason there seems to only be two people left in the openss13 project, not that anyone is actually developing it anymore. Well, if you check http://openss13.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/openss13/trunk/ you can see files which were last changed by me. Hmm. Apparently everyone else stopped working on openss13 about 2 months after I did, and the incomplete remote-control drones that I was making at the time are in the trunk. I wonder where 1.0 went - I guess they unified the branches. (Well, there was a config variable to turn them off, but I didn't think they would put broken things that were never going to be finished in 1.0...)

Personally I'm not particularly pleased with the closed-source attitude everyone seems to have acquired in the 2 years I've been avoiding SS13, especially considering that every improvement I made to the source myself was open-source, intended to be used by anyone and shared. I added the AI, the multitools and airlock hacking, fixed a ridiculous number of bugs to make the game better, and all of this was merged into OpenSS13 so anyone could use it. This was good. Making changes and keeping them private and secret so nobody can look at them, fix bugs, or make their own modifications if they have other ideas and want to build on it? Not good. I could have kept the AI private for just one or two servers, kept all my bugfixes private, kept the airlock hacking private, etc, and nobody would have any of it today.

You have diseases. That's cool, in theory. One of my ideas was to have diseases, but your diseases can be a bit extreme. Knocking out new arrivals within 2 minutes after they join the game by having the game give them a fatal disease, and making them unable to play for the rest of the round (because resurrection is off, and even if you resurrected you'd just get reinfected by dead bodies), well, that's not exactly fun when you actually want to play the game. You know what might be fun? Logging on and being given a weak disease, with the research staff working to have to find a cure and make a vaccine for the rest of the crew. Now when I log on and get a fatal disease and die 2 minutes later, I want to look at the code for it, and tweak it to make it give weaker diseases to new arrivals, or see if you have vaccines and cures, how to make them, and what protects from diseases. If you're missing vaccines or cures, I might then want to see about coding that and submitting it to you, if I'm feeling like it (then again DM code is horrific...). But your code isn't open-source, so I can't do any of that. So instead I get a fatal disease, die 2 minutes after joining, get irritated, log off, and play something else instead.

It must have been even worse for the guy who had the fatal disease first slapped on him. He didn't even make it out of the entry shuttle before dying. I at least made it to customs with a gasmask and oxygen tank on before being infected - after someone took them away from my character and put them back in the shuttle, and then dragged the dead body out into customs ::). That guy obviously suffered from a case of insufficient paranoia.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 04:44:13 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11119 on: April 24, 2010, 04:53:57 pm »

No, I think that the only things that need to be cencored are literal exploits and easter eggs that allow unfair advantages. Example: If there was a known way to create an infinitely cold area, it shouldn't be added, as it could *only* be used for greif.

This is very true. There shouldn't be any restrictions to knowledge, because the mods are there to crack down if you abuse it or RP badly (for example: Chaplains do not know how to make mustard gas).

Randomonioum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11120 on: April 24, 2010, 04:55:32 pm »

I won't be able to play for a few days until I get my laptop back from the shop, so don't miss me or anything.
If you gave them a biome then the Elves may indeed start turning up with Wagons in cages.
Well, it does tie in to the fact that personality-wise, dragons are nothing more than gigantic, scaly, firebreathing cats.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11121 on: April 24, 2010, 04:58:12 pm »

Chaplains do not know how to make mustard gas.

But Syndicates know EVERYTHING. ;)

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11122 on: April 24, 2010, 04:58:40 pm »

Wait, you agree with him about restricting literal exploits and easter eggs and then say there shouldn't be any restrictions to knowledge?:P
The Chaplain might be the traitor and it would make sense that he's a trained guy.

Anyway,I agree with Shadowlord, making this thing Open Source could help it develop and it would allow me to look at the code and how it works, would be great for my study. You're helping new programmers!

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11123 on: April 24, 2010, 05:02:42 pm »

I agree with Shadowlord, making this thing Open Source could help it develop and it would allow me to look at the code and how it works, would be great for my study. You're helping new programmers!

Hear Hear! But use a licence so all derivitaves must also be Open. Dont want people stealing our ideas and claiming they are original.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11124 on: April 24, 2010, 05:04:23 pm »

Wait, you agree with him about restricting literal exploits and easter eggs and then say there shouldn't be any restrictions to knowledge?:P
The Chaplain might be the traitor and it would make sense that he's a trained guy.

Anyway,I agree with Shadowlord, making this thing Open Source could help it develop and it would allow me to look at the code and how it works, would be great for my study. You're helping new programmers!

When I said no restrictions to knowledge, I assumed you'd understand I didn't mean gamebreaking knowledge, because I put it right there in my post that I agreed with qwerty that gamebreaking knowledge should not be shared out.

Keep up.

Chaplains do not know how to make mustard gas.

But Syndicates know EVERYTHING. ;)

It'd make sense that someone chosen by a powerful criminal organization to sabotage a station would either have the knowledge on hand or had been trained in many different things beforehand. So yeah, I'd say let it slide for a Syndie.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #11125 on: April 24, 2010, 05:11:29 pm »

In before somebody asks/retorts with the obvious:

Actually, it should be incredibly obvious that the Chaplain is some sort of spy when you catch him making Mustard Gas.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #11126 on: April 24, 2010, 05:12:49 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the OpenSS13 code shut down because the original developer requested that it be returned to closed source status? I realise I'm cutting out whole novels worth of history by simplifying it so much but I don't have the links to hand to chase up names and times... but from what I recall, the original source was leaked, all these branches developed from that, the original creator wasn't happy about that.

Some time later, a focused effort by the Open SS13 dev team to get things back on a roll happened, a month or so later, the head was contacted by the original creator who expressed his desire for development on the open source to cease. His wishes were honoured and while development continued on the other branches, those that were open source were closed off.

Feel free to yell and throw things at me for any glaringly obvious mistakes, but as far as I remember this is how it happened, which would explain why there aren't many people (if any) working on the open ss13 branch.

As for which branch the B12 version of SS13 came from... no idea to be honest.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11127 on: April 24, 2010, 05:14:02 pm »

That's the chance you take Grakelin, that's the chance you take.

Really, only the chemist would have access to the Chemistry Labs in the first place, so it's only him and the traitor who'll ever go in there under normal circumstances, so it's a bit of a non-issue.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11128 on: April 24, 2010, 05:16:47 pm »

An example of something that should not be in the wiki is my StarStation method. Yes, its interesting, useful, and potent, but turning the station into a 10 trillion degree star is not something that everyone should know how to do.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11129 on: April 24, 2010, 05:19:48 pm »

No, it wouldnt, and it never will. Want to look at the code? Go look at the open-source one.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?
Pages: 1 ... 740 741 [742] 743 744 ... 950