Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826 827 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 809382 times)

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #12360 on: May 13, 2010, 10:00:26 pm »

Probably would have been a better question instead of calling him an idiot for threatening to sue us, then. =P
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 10:08:54 pm by Dr. Johbson »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12361 on: May 13, 2010, 10:16:23 pm »

If someone actually wanted to sue us for the source, they'd have to prove that the AI code/whatever code you think we are copying, is actually copyrighted, and not original/from a different source.

All of the code (and art) is copyright(ed?) by whoever wrote (or drew) it. And the person who wrote it, if it hasn't significantly changed (the airlock hacking especially hasn't) can tell that you are using their code because it possesses certain quirks (for example, until this was fixed in the past few days, the fatal repeat electrocution when using a multitool on an electrified airlock) and all the same behavior (except for what few things were changed for game balance, to improve it, to fix bugs, or whatnot). Anything implemented from scratch would far have more differences.

I'm not sure what legal standard you would have to meet, but I wouldn't care to bother anyone over having anything I wrote in the game, so you don't really have to worry about the AI, airlock hacking, etc, or that multitool art which I drew, for instance. (I don't remember if I had made any other art for my version - for example, the AI's health art - or if the rest of the art I made is only in the merged openss13 which nobody has used anything from, AFAIK).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12362 on: May 13, 2010, 10:17:57 pm »

This must be a bug

All the doors were closed, yet the captain and I got sucked towards the closed door and repeatedly slammed into it until we died. Why the hell would it do that???

EDIT: It's been quite a while and the emergency closet is still slamming into the door where we were...

EDIT 2: Just as I typed that Fath Zombiewood started getting killed by the magic door as well.

EDIT 3: When he died his corpse noclipped through the airlock that killed him and into the one on the other side. he's on the same tile as the opposite airlock. I think the same thing happened to me.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 10:44:51 pm by OzyTheSage »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12363 on: May 13, 2010, 10:20:31 pm »

Maybe the air has trouble distributing itself evenly? Got caught in an airflow loop?

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12364 on: May 13, 2010, 10:22:24 pm »

Would you like your name in the credits, Shadow, is that it? Or are you just stating said fun fact for the fun-fact-ness? Because if you want to be in the credits, that would require a bit of work, seeing as we have no idea who half the people who worked on the version we are using are.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12365 on: May 13, 2010, 10:40:37 pm »

This whole legal battle about a concept/ source code which holds no real retail value or income to the owner is a litte OTT isint it?

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #12366 on: May 13, 2010, 10:43:21 pm »

Originally (correct me if I'm wrong) his point was to say "Be aware of what you're doing, if you're thinking of handing out binaries to people. Because..." <stuff that's already been said too much for me to want to repeat it, again.>

The whole sue thing got brought up in the way that all stupid things get brought up on forums, because someone derailed the thread. Shadow's later points were born of a desire to correct a perceived misconception, or blatant ignorance... much in the same way I get a facial tick and a strong urge to beat people with an obnoxiously heavy book on English grammar when they cock up the use of an apostrophe, or get they're, their, and there mixed up.

Of course, I could be wrong about this so feel free to correct anything I've said if you think I missed the point somewhere. But overall, I think that's how it happened.

I think Shadow was making a valid point originally, and just trying to highlight a potential issue with a plan of action being discussed. I think most people who are in a position to move forward with that plan of action wouldn't have cared even if someone did throw a fit over having the binary without the source, though, or at least they would have cared no more about that scenario as they do about whether or not the source comes under this or that license (which from what I can tell, ethics aside, doesn't appear to be very much at all really.) So perhaps the point was somewhat moot. In any event, I think he just got tangled up in some trolling after that, but couldn't let it lie because the misconceptions over how copywright law works is a pet-peeve. Or something like that.

Hope this helps to clear some things up.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12367 on: May 13, 2010, 11:34:37 pm »

We seriously need to stop airlocks from opening as soon as you touch them. I got sucked out of the damn station because I pressed the arrow key one time too many by accident, =/

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12368 on: May 13, 2010, 11:42:43 pm »

Getting slammed into doors = open.

BAD BAD BAD!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12369 on: May 13, 2010, 11:46:28 pm »

Getting slammed into doors = open.

BAD BAD BAD!
I say keep this. It makes sense for it to happen, doors being automatic and all, and is really, really funny.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12370 on: May 13, 2010, 11:49:48 pm »

Sits in depressurized room.

CRAP.

Goes to hallway. PHOOSH! CRAP!
Hits door on other side. PHOOSH! CRAP!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12371 on: May 13, 2010, 11:50:25 pm »

Which is exactly why I'm for keeping it. That's pretty funny.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12372 on: May 14, 2010, 12:02:35 am »

No one is answering my questions in game, so I'll try here.

What are portable scrubbers and air regulators for?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12373 on: May 14, 2010, 12:03:54 am »

Scrubers can spit out oxygen.

Air regulators...not sure.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12374 on: May 14, 2010, 12:04:59 am »

Bring the atmospheric condition to a safe level? I don't know.
Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826 827 ... 950