Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Books that annoy you.  (Read 9944 times)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Books that annoy you.
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2009, 12:36:27 am »

Anything by Robert Jordan.

Seriously, I don't care what kind of underwear everyone has on.

This made me lol.

Having read all of the Wheel of Time series, I have to agree that this is a very valid complaint.
But. (no pun intended) Knowing what kind of underwear everyone is wearing serves the purpose of reminding the reader that "Oh yeah, those two characters might get it on at some point in the next five books! I better keep reading!"

And even though the books themselves aren't that great, Mat Cauthon is one of my all time favorite characters in literature.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2009, 02:39:59 am »

The Silmarillion. As much as I've tried to read this book, I can't. It's too much like a dry history book and very hard to get through.

I only know of one person who has ever read it. It took them several months and they swore to never read it again.

it wasn't THAT bad, I actually enjoyed it at some times.

ok, SOME times
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2009, 03:07:23 am »

I read the silmarillion back when i was young and would read anything
...*shudder* some things mankind is not meant to read, especially in a week.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2009, 03:17:33 am »

The Island of the Blue Dolphin.
Holy fuck, when I was younger I moved an assload of times. I would attend a school they would be starting this fucking book. Then they would finish it, I would. The next school would just be starting it.... That happen four times, four fucking times.

And anything by  Kurt Vonnegut.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2009, 03:29:57 am »

I'm a big fan of Micheal Cricton's novels, but by the end of PREY I wanted to kill him. I mean seriously, talk about shitty ending.

Still the first 3/4 of the book is good, but grrr, the ending just makes me angry.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2009, 07:18:15 am »

The Silmarillion definitely.

I read Neil Gaiman's book of short stories, Smoke and Mirrors, and while it wasn't bad it seems that he's a little too fond of describing people fucking in detail. I'm not a prude, and that kind of thing isn't bad in small doses but it seemed like every other story had something of the sort. Basically the amount of coulation made the book seem crude.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2009, 10:12:18 am »

There are three books series I particularly detest, but one falls under annoyance so far it needs a new catagory to describe it. Perhaps, 'irriting beyond all belief'.

That series is Septimus Heap.

The writing isn't the problem. I would have enjoyed it had it not been for the Misuse of Capital Letters, sometimes MultiCaptial Words, sometimes even Words where the Capital is in the cenTer, Pointless Archaeic Spaeling, All of which Pales compared to how every single Word that has anything to do with Magick is Bolded and in a different Fonte.

Yes. Every Word. It literally gave me a Headacke to read.

I can only imagine what it would have like if they printed in Coloure.
Check out my books at O and H Books

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2009, 10:31:49 am »

I read Neil Gaiman's book of short stories, Smoke and Mirrors, and while it wasn't bad it seems that he's a little too fond of describing people fucking in detail. I'm not a prude, and that kind of thing isn't bad in small doses but it seemed like every other story had something of the sort. Basically the amount of coulation made the book seem crude.

On that, I was told to read The Last Voyage of Somebody the Sailor by John Barth (by my grandparents, no less!), and definitely ran into a lot of trouble with that. It's a reasonable story, but there is entirely too much sex in it.

On school books, I found that the most annoying ones were the ones that could be summarized as "Things were bad, then they got worse. Then it looked like they might get better, but they got worse. Then you thought that it couldn't get any worse, but it did anyway." A broader category of Strife26's "America in <time period> was not nice to <group>", I think. I know I can add "The Good Earth" to that list, at least: China in then 1930's was not nice to peasants.

I was also extremely annoyed by "Brave New World", in that the entire thing was Huxley ranting about how bad the Brave New World was, but if you looked at it from the inside it was really a much better place to live than the modern world, in terms of solving hunger/poverty/war/etc. The insistence on the need for retarded elevator boys bothered me too, I think.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2009, 10:35:45 am »

Most of my biggest peeves have already been mentioned, but I'll elaborate.

Twilight.  No elaboration is needed.

Prey and Timeline are the only two books that I threw across the room instead of finishing.  In Prey, the way the humans stopped the swarm from attacking them was the crusher.  In Timeline, the explanation of how the time machine brought the people back did it for me.

I'll second the Dark Tower as well.  I've never felt more let down by the ending of a series.  I'm also not too fond of King's retconning earlier events in the series and then putting out new copies of his old books.  There's a new generation of King readers growing up who do not know that it was once said of The Beast that to speak of him was to speak of the ruination of one's own soul.  Or apparently, now it's to speak of a crazy old guy who wouldn't even make it as a boss in a Metal Gear Solid game.

Any of Dean Koontz's work in which he describes a character with a different moral frame or set of religious beliefs than his own.  Out of what I've read, "Intensity" is the worst in this regard.

Anything by Dan Brown.  80% of the fanfiction on the Community Games and Stories board is better-written than Dan Brown's work, yet it's Dan Brown that gets movies made of his work.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2009, 04:08:13 pm »

I guess i am one of those odd people who thought Simarillion was fucking brilliant.  Oh well.

Most annoying book:  Stephen R. Donaldson - The One Tree

There is a point in the book where the main characters basicly mopes with the "woe is me's" for about 350 pages while lying on his back in a raft.  After 4 previous books of that in the series, this was finally too much and I threw the book away unfinished.  I have only ever done that one other time.  It was so bad i cannot remember the author.  It was a sci-fi book where the main male character gets turned into a woman to save the human race.  He stays a woman for 3 more books.  I, uhhh, just really could NOT identify with the character.  But I suppose there is a small minority of avad transexual sci-fi nuts who loved it.  I wonder how many books sold?
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2009, 05:20:13 pm »

Two pages and no RAAAAEEEEG at Twilight (besides me)?

Animorphs. At any point in there they could have directly attacked a Yeerk stronghold (they knew it was under the mall the whole f**king time!) yet they chose not to because three lizardmen with knives were gaurding it when there are seven of them that, after one of the canon novels, can turn into f**king velociraptors and t-rexes. "oh no, a bunch of naked humans and three meatbags with knives are preventing us from stopping the destruction of everything we have ever loved".

If we rage at twilight we may be attacked.

I liked animorphs but there were several stupid moves made by the characters.

Glad I don't know anyone described in those topics.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2009, 09:19:11 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 02:50:06 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2009, 09:44:17 pm »

Not to mention the odd logic.

She's a social outcast at her old school, and suddenly everyone loves her, she dates Mr.Sparkles although they have nothing in common...
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2009, 11:18:40 pm »

I guess i am one of those odd people who thought Simarillion was fucking brilliant.  Oh well.

agreed!

I hate twilight. The author is weird.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2009, 11:36:49 pm »

The Island of the Blue Dolphin.
Holy fuck, when I was younger I moved an assload of times. I would attend a school they would be starting this fucking book. Then they would finish it, I would. The next school would just be starting it.... That happen four times, four fucking times.

This, but with fucking "The Secret Garden". By the 5th time we had been forced to read that shit, I hated it more than any other book I've ever read. Some little girl goes to a dark and mysterious castle where she finds a stupid little boy and together they find the meaning of happiness with a magical garden and everybody loves the stupid little boy and girl and they teach the mean crabby old man how to be fun and everybody lives happliy ever after.

Also, Diary of Anne Frank. I've yet to hear one reason for being forced to read 380 odd pages of a teenager's complaints and romantic interests and then writing about it and being tested on it. The Jews were people too and they had a difficult time while Hitler was murdering them and so on? YOU DONT SAY.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8