Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Books that annoy you.  (Read 9938 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Books that annoy you.
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 07:43:39 pm »

I want to read that series but cant find the books

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 07:44:02 pm »

Which one.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 07:49:40 pm »

Books written by Chuck Palahniuk.

Everything smells like piss and looks like shit and that makes it real and in your face.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 07:52:08 pm »

Red Storm Rising, and The Salvation War.
I still read the Redwall series.

For schoolish books, I liked Huck, Until they bring the Streetcars back, and To Kill a Mockingbird.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 07:55:43 pm »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 07:56:56 pm »

Ohh...

At my Borders, there is a somewhat large sci-fi/fantasy section. Many 40k books.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 08:44:31 pm »

Two pages and no RAAAAEEEEG at Twilight (besides me)?

Animorphs. At any point in there they could have directly attacked a Yeerk stronghold (they knew it was under the mall the whole f**king time!) yet they chose not to because three lizardmen with knives were gaurding it when there are seven of them that, after one of the canon novels, can turn into f**king velociraptors and t-rexes. "oh no, a bunch of naked humans and three meatbags with knives are preventing us from stopping the destruction of everything we have ever loved".
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 08:46:33 pm »

the later narnia books made me unhappy, specially the last one. there is a great short story by the author neil gaiman about Susan as an old woman, thinking back to her childhood. and how it was not exactly fair that just because she was "interested in makeup and boys" she had to go identify the mashed remains of her siblings from the train accident that kills them.

if you dont know, neil gaiman is a great author who did the novel that recent "stardust" movie was based on. hes also famous for writing the sandman comic book series, and coauthored a novel with terry pratched in the early 90s. his short stories are allways awesomely mind bending and bittersweet. there is a reimagining of the snow white story which i found an online copy of here - http://www.holycow.com/dreaming/stories/snow-glass-apples. its particularly excelent, and i reccoment reading it. i could not find "the problem of susan" short story online, though the author talks about it here - http://www.thestonetable.com/articles/224,1.html

a pet hate of mine is when a writer just does not research something, even when such research would be as easy as say, visiting the manufacturors website for the thing they are writing about. mattew reilly is a great example, as he does this a lot. i read his stuff way back in high school, they are all fairly trashy ultraviolent fun. but his tendancy to just make things up about real world stuff is very annoying. i particularly hated his description of the metalstorm guns he invented in one of his more recent books. he could have just gone to www.metalstorm.com and watched a demonstration video about how they actually worked, rather then inventing a bunch of silly nonsense.

also, while i have liked some of david eddings stuff, in my limited experience he tends to end whatever conflict that drives his epic fantasy sagas with care bears, rainbows and lollipops. the ending thatguyyaknow describes seems pretty typical of him, all the good people end up happily ever after to the extreme, and the baddies get destroyed, killed, or otherwise permanantly erased from existance.

and animorphs did have a nice idea behind it, but yes it was full of horrible logical inconsistencies you were somehow expected to not notice.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 08:53:15 pm »

Two pages and no RAAAAEEEEG at Twilight (besides me)?

Animorphs. At any point in there they could have directly attacked a Yeerk stronghold (they knew it was under the mall the whole f**king time!) yet they chose not to because three lizardmen with knives were gaurding it when there are seven of them that, after one of the canon novels, can turn into f**king velociraptors and t-rexes. "oh no, a bunch of naked humans and three meatbags with knives are preventing us from stopping the destruction of everything we have ever loved".

If we rage at twilight we may be attacked.

I liked animorphs but there were several stupid moves made by the characters.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2009, 08:57:11 pm »

I was not terribly much annoyed at the later Narnia books(Confused yes, but not terribly peeved) because I knew that was around the time Tolkien helped Lewis convert to Christianity. As with anybody adopting a belief, they tend to get a bit preachy. He even admitted he noticed it around book three and many choices on the later books were constrained by his need to keep the general theme.

Animorphs was read as a kid, so not terribly much I can recall. Of course you could not just storm into the yeerk local HQ, that would basically kill off everybody who had one in their head.

The Dark Tower, book one. I'm not sure what peeved me so much about it, but it annoyed me.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2009, 10:35:44 pm »

Tolkien actually hated (disliked?) the Narnia books. He was not a fan of allegory. I rather enjoyed it, but I haven't read it since I came of the age of appreciation.

The only book I've read that has really annoyed me (I've been blessed with people who share my taste in literature, and who make good recommendations) is this. Not because of the content or anything but because the author would just NOT STOP REPEATING HIMSELF. Okay, it's a type of machine gun, I get it already! I only picked it up because it was one of the few fantasy-looking books in the Christian bookstore I work at. :( I promptly went back to my little Guy Gavriel Kay binge.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2009, 11:11:18 pm »

Anything by Robert Jordan.

Seriously, I don't care what kind of underwear everyone has on.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2009, 11:33:27 pm »

I was so pissed off the way Stephen King ended the Dark Tower series. I felt so bad for the people who had been young and read the book in their twenties.

Thirty years later, he finishes the series, and
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2009, 11:37:00 pm »

You're joking. What an ass in this situation.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 11:42:17 pm by Jackrabbit »

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2009, 11:38:34 pm »

The Silmarillion. As much as I've tried to read this book, I can't. It's too much like a dry history book and very hard to get through.

I only know of one person who has ever read it. It took them several months and they swore to never read it again.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8