Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf-a-pult  (Read 1298 times)

rhavynn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf-a-pult
« on: May 06, 2009, 01:24:52 pm »

Hi there.  I was playing the other day, and wanted to see if there was any way to make dwarves faster.  Flashback to many moons ago when I last read some dragonlance books, and the tinker-gnomes.  Who use catapults as a rapid-transit system.  Even if it's a one way trip, I would _love_ to see dwarves as a valid ammunition for siege weaponry... 

PS  Love the game, keep up the good work!

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf-a-pult
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 01:30:51 pm »

Dwarven CHILDREN would make good ammunition during a seige. Absolutely dwarven!
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 02:23:53 pm »

Animals would be nice :D

On a humorous side, you could recreate your favorite scenes from Monty Python.

On a practical side, catsplosions would = more ammo!
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 08:49:13 pm »

Launch your squads into the goblin army!

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 10:55:40 pm »

Don't we already have these?

Not that I've played around much with flinging stuff with bridges.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 11:05:45 pm »

Yay! Another fan of Dragonlance!
On topic: Bridge flinging is possible, but will usually end with injured dwarves going to sleep for three years and complaining about the lack of booze. Or drowning in my moat, depending on wether or not they jump off of the bridge when it goes up

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 03:50:35 am »

Then reality kicks in and you realize that dwarves would die just about every time they're launched, either from the landing or by getting mauled by enemies while they're stunned

Silly idea really

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 06:54:02 am »

Bridge fling is incredibly unreliable and unimpressive, unfortunately.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 09:35:47 am »

Bridge fling is incredibly unreliable, fortunately, and unimpressive, unfortunately.

fixed.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 05:24:30 am »

NO ONE TOSSES A DWARF.

Now, what I would like to see, and what would add use to power in forts would be conveyor belts, moving sidewalks and escalators for faster movement of dwarves and goods.

charl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 08:42:03 am »

Firing disease-ridden animals and corpses was a common practice during sieges in medieval times. I don't think they ever threw actual people, but the ability to use dead and living creatures as ammo would be really nice.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 10:08:10 am »

They did throw people, but only after they died (usually of disease). This is expected to be one of the ways the black death was spread to Europeans. There was a seige between (Mongols was it?) and some European troops. The seigers were suffering from disease, and their encampment was being ravaged by it. They used trebuchets to throw their dead over the walls of the beseiged town, spreading the disease to those inside. When the seige ended and the troops returned home to Europe via boats, they infected ports along the way, thus spreading the plague across Europe.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 10:15:54 am »

I remember reading that they sometimes threw living people who were prisoners or something.

Hmmmm.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 10:49:29 am »

They did throw people, but only after they died (usually of disease). This is expected to be one of the ways the black death was spread to Europeans. There was a seige between (Mongols was it?) and some European troops. The seigers were suffering from disease, and their encampment was being ravaged by it. They used trebuchets to throw their dead over the walls of the beseiged town, spreading the disease to those inside. When the seige ended and the troops returned home to Europe via boats, they infected ports along the way, thus spreading the plague across Europe.

There was also that never bathing and throwing chamberpots into the streets thing, too.
Computer says 'No'.

charl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 12:08:21 pm »

There was also that never bathing and throwing chamberpots into the streets thing, too.

Plus that they never realizes the disease was spread by fleas living on rats, and so they didn't even try to cull the massive rat populations that was everywhere.
Pages: [1] 2