Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Further newbie questions  (Read 1510 times)

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
Further newbie questions
« on: April 30, 2009, 09:39:23 pm »

Got bored of my first fortress; it had no magma. But it ran for 3 or so years, then I pulled the Lever and drowned them all.

Anyway, genned a new world and used the f function to find one with some magma goodness in it, but I can't find the magma. What are my options? (Ps. The find function is infallible, right? If it says there's a magma pipe, there's definitely magma?)

I've been mining around the third z level down, no sign of it so far.  ???
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Further newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 09:51:58 pm »

Like I said in another thread, if you're really picky and want to know exactly where stuff is before embarking, use the init options for finding perfect sites.
Outside of that, almost every time I've used the site finder it has been perfect, except on one or two occasions.
One such occasion was a couple of worlds ago, I specifically requested no aquifier, and it came up with a site that had an aquifier in all its biomes, but the aquifier option was green, meaning it found a site with no aquifier... whut?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 10:02:17 pm »

3 levels is above average, but if you have a lot of elevation it could be burieddeeper , or just be small on top and you've barely missed it.

Mine down maybe 5 levels max on about a 12-15 tile grid, and you should find it.  (It'd be hard to imagine not finding it.)

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 10:11:57 pm »

build a trade depot, then hit D. scroll down to the lowest z-level. see those areas with red D all over? thats where its NOT. the areas without any depot info, those are where either you can find a feature, or else you already dug there, or marked an area to be dug. if you find any obsidian, then thats your magma.

go over the middle of one of the areas, and from the surface dig a single staircase down about 10 z-levels and see if you find anything. 10 levels down dig out a bit from the stairs. if you dont find it, dig down another 5 levels and check around again. this method should find a feature fairly quickly.

now, i do know magma will 'reveal' if you dig UNDER it, which is a bit strange when it happens. dosent even have to be hot stone.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 11:15:40 pm »

Brilliant, I just found it.

It's halfway across the map.

Darn it.
Digging time!
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 01:35:53 am »

One thing that will really help searching for magma, underground rivers, etc., take a screen shot of the embarkation area. Will give you a general idea of where to dig exploratory shafts, if you have enabled the init to show them.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 02:36:46 am »

Another question: How do I dispose of lava/water? I mean, say I want to make a  waterfall. I pump water over from the brook, then... what? How do I dump the water away? Ditto lava.

Also, does magma mist do anything useful?

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 02:43:41 am »

what ive heard it  kills.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 02:52:16 am »

Another question: How do I dispose of lava/water? I mean, say I want to make a  waterfall. I pump water over from the brook, then... what? How do I dump the water away? Ditto lava.

One super-handy method for draining away water is detailed here:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=34721.0
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 07:18:18 am »

Erm, how do I get marksdwarfs to shoot from battlements?

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 07:54:30 am »

let them stand behind the fortifacation
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 03:44:30 pm »

Enlightening.  ::)

Once they're <A>ctivated as military, put them into squads if you want (via the <m>ilitary screen) for whatever size squad you choose (many prefer individuals), then lock on to their squads ( <x, l> and < s >tation them where you want them.

Note that if the squad is too big, some might go around and position themselves on the outside of the fortifications - it's happened.

You may have to change your <o>rders to "only military goes outside", or whatever, depending on how you've created those fortifications and the path to them.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 03:47:22 pm by Albedo »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 04:16:34 pm »

Since magma isn't pressurized like water, the need to dispose of it isn't as great.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 10:19:10 pm »

Ah, cool, that worked. Goblin kebabs for all!

Um, another question, though: How do I equip them with specific armour? I've heard that bucklers are good for marksdwarves. How do I get them to pick up the bucklers?

Also: An artifact picollo. And half a dozen engravings of it.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 10:28:59 pm »

Bucklers are much worse than shields, and you'll want your marksdwarves to be very good with shields if you don't plan on locking them inside the room where you want them to fire from.
If I recall correctly, Bucklers block 50% less of the time than shields would, so if your marksdwarves decide to be daring and try to take on the enemy with their hammer-bows, you'll want them to be prepared!
Pages: [1] 2