Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: War movies.  (Read 4783 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: War movies.
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2009, 07:55:06 am »

I also recently saw Das Boat. About a german u-boat in ww2 that sinks and they try really hard to fix it. I won't spoil it, its just great. The whole atmosphere (cough cough) is amazing. Jeez, two puns in one go, I'm on a roll!

Saving private ryan is awesome, i love tom hanks, he played ti really well, and it seriously had the most life like (what i can assume is) d-day landing scene ever. The story's awesome aswell, going to find the last son of a mother whose already lost 2.

It also has Mal (from firefly) crying in it, which is funny.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2009, 02:47:30 pm »

The 300 Spartans is NOT "300".

its a much older movie, and is the reason why I learned about spartans as a kid.

i AM gonna figure out that Cambidian movie name.  I was channel surfing when I cam across it early into the movie and was immediately hooked.

EDIT:  GOT IT  -  Bang Rajan

while looking for it I saw a bunch of other bad ass asian war films I am gonna have to go watch.....
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 02:55:24 pm by Gorjo MacGrymm »
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Hangatyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2009, 06:35:49 am »

More suggestions...

Bunker, germans stuck in a bunker towards the end of wwII

Trench, "sequel" to Bunker, bunch of brittish guys stuck in a trench in wwI

Lost battalion, american battalion dying in wwI

The misfit brigade, wwII, german suicide mission, Tiny for the win

The 9th legion, russians dying in afghanistan

???

I don't know...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2009, 06:37:14 am »

I seen an old movie on tv once called "TANK!" where a german tank that was stolen by some american soldiers deep in enemy territory are trying to use it to sneak back to the safety of Allied controlled soil.

It was a real good movie.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2009, 07:27:14 am »

I seen an old movie on tv once called "TANK!" where a german tank that was stolen by some american soldiers deep in enemy territory are trying to use it to sneak back to the safety of Allied controlled soil.

Have you seen Kelly's Heroes? I am pretty sure that you would love that also.  :)

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2009, 03:35:53 pm »

Have you seen Kelly's Heroes? I am pretty sure that you would love that also.  :)

I liked Kelly's Hero's.  Some of my war movie buff friends dont tho.

----

Lol- whenI saw "TANK" I thought, "Oh God!  Not that awful thing with James Garner!"
Then i thought of "The Beast" about a Russian tanker crew in Afganistan, which was pretty good.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2009, 09:43:25 pm »

Oh yeah, The Beast.
Good movie, I think.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2009, 02:20:15 am »

I'm surprised how that The Patriot is getting shout outs.  It seemed kinda stupid to me how the movie was intent on showing the brits to be prisoner killing, church burning bastards.  Why not show them eating American babies and be done with it?

Oh, and the entire sniper duel lasted two days after König arrived in Stalingrad.  König and Zaitsev, along with their wingmen (because professional snipers always work in groups) did set up in a trainyard.  They stared at each other for two days, before one of Zaitsev's men stuck his hand up, lost a finger, and when the dust settled the Germans were dead and the Russians weren't.

A sniper sticking his hand up to get shot off strikes me as awesomely badass.  How could you not put this in a movie?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2009, 02:25:17 pm »

yeah, The Patriot really didnt impress me, probably why i couldn't sit through the whole movie.  Its almost as bad as Casualties of War war with michael J Fox and Sean Penn. *shudder*

Speaking of snipers, anyone ever heard the real life story of best friend snipers in bosnia/serbia.  Where they grew up as kids on the national rifle team.  One became a family man, the other a sniper for ?serbia? (not sure)  After hearing reports of a sniper making incredible shots, the family man knew it was his childhood friend, 'cuz there just wasnt that many people with any sharpshooting skills in the country.  He was worried, but decided not to get involved until a sniper round went through the back window of his car, striking his daughter.  Then he put his skills to the test and hunted his old friend.  He staked out a likely position and waited weeks, until someone showed up.  He eventually took them down, went to check the body, and it was his old best friend.  Unbelievable story.  60 Minutes and other investigative news channels did stories on it.  The recent WW2 movie about german and russian snipers was made because of interest in the Bosnian story.

anyway, thats not really a movie, but it is awesome.  but you will probably say:

tl;dr  :)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2009, 05:35:08 am »

That wasn't TL;DR. chaoticjosh, now he nows how to do some TL;DR. I still read them. They're usually very funny and insightful.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2009, 01:48:21 pm »

Just a few more epicly awesome war movies [I don't know that these have been mentioned already or not, I won't check all posts again...]
- Dirty Dozen
- The Longest Day
- Patton
- Kingdom of Heaven

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2009, 01:49:16 pm »

Lord of the Rings

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2009, 10:12:26 pm »

Pulgasari.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2009, 02:00:33 am »

Many, many of the movies listed so far.

The Flying Tigers
The Flight of the Enola Gay

^ These were good too.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2009, 06:14:02 am »

Lord of the Rings...

...The Return of The King.

Its pretty much the only movie that focused on the war most of all. The first one was basicly just the journey, the second one a mixture, but still mostly journey, and the last one having SEVERAL battles with a bit of journey mixed in.

That might have been different in the books, but I haven't even finished The Hobbit yet.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4