Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: War movies.  (Read 4784 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: War movies.
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 08:27:57 am »

- Behind enemy Lines

- We Were Soldiers

- A few good men (well, its a military movie, not a war movie per se)

- Saving Private Ryan

Those are my top 5

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 09:06:09 am »

I was wondering, what exactly is it, that people like about Saving private Ryan?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 09:49:03 am »

I was wondering, what exactly is it, that people like about Saving private Ryan?

Basically, it was the first good, theater war movie in a long time.  A lot of "star power" (I suppose), and great production values.

I don't particularly like it because it's riddled with poor script and design choices and filming errors, a hallmark of Spielberg's films.  I use the term "'Berged up" to refer to such problems.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 09:54:17 am »

Bridge over the river kwai, Full metal Jacket and We were soldiers are all great, but has anyone mentioned Rambo yet? The first one, that actually deals with the psychological and social alienation of Vietnam vets (only one death as well!)? It's actually a really good movie.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 10:21:26 am »

One movie I thought was really good, but is not about war but the aftermath of it is "On The Beach".

Really touching.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 11:01:43 pm »

It's also loaded with gross historical inaccuracies.  Such as-

Hold the phone. Are those really historical inaccuracies or are they artistic license? Unless the movie opens with the phrase, "This story we are about to present shows completely and absolutely how everything happened" I doubt that most of those were goofs. There is a world of difference between getting the events wrong and altering (or adding to them) for greater effect. For example...

Oh, and the entire sniper duel lasted two days after König arrived in Stalingrad.  König and Zaitsev, along with their wingmen (because professional snipers always work in groups) did set up in a trainyard.  They stared at each other for two days...
[/quote]

Which is fine, but do we really want a movie about four guys trying to stay very, very still for two straight days?

I'm not familiar with the actual history behind it. I just thought it was a decent, entertaining film. Reality rarely makes complelling fiction without a bit of editing. You have to expect that some alterations will be made.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 12:13:33 am »

Well, I'm not one to let historical accuracy get in the way of entertainment, but I still found Enemy at the Gates rather dull. It just didn't grab me you know, it was sorta just playing out while I sorta watched it. It might of just been the acting or the pacing, or something.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 08:55:36 pm »

the first rambo wasnt called rambo I, its Firstblood, and yeah, it rocks.

Full metal jacket is good, but "joker" destroys most every scene he is in, cuz mat modine is an asshat.  Adam Baldwin is great as "Big Mother".

There is a baddass movie about a cambodian war, about a village trying to get a bronze cannon to work to save their asses, cant remember the name, when i do I will post, cuz its badass. (sorry for the grammar here).

Platoon is good, but the book is a must read, as it really explains whats goin on in the main characters head far better than Charlie Sheen does in the movie.

A bridge Too Far - awesome
guns of navarone
I forget the name of one about the blowing the damn with Harrison Ford.
of course, Apocolypse Now.

also:
Ran.
Dirty Dozen.
Midway.
Tora Tora.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  Red Dawn?  :P
Das Boot
Longest Day:  especially the scene on the pier.  its like a 10 minute single camera shot that rulz.
Patton.  Gotta watch Patton.
The 300 Spartans - not 300.
300.  lol
The Big Red One.
The Great Escape.
Stalag 17 - what hogans heros was based on
MASH
Braveheart
Zulu

ill think of more......

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 06:30:49 am »

I was never really a fan of The 300 Spartans I don't know what it is but I never got in to that movie.

Zulu, Black Hawk Down, Saving Prvt Ryan, Braveheart and the Last Samurai would have to be my top 5 in no particular order.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 06:44:02 am »

300 was just terrible, but Saving Private Ryan, I wouldn't call it the best movie ever, but it was sure god damn entertaining. And pretty funny some times.

Black Hawk Down was okay, I'd say I could sit down and say, hey it was fun watching it. Lots of shooting and blood and explosions and such.

And I DID enjoy The Last Samurai, Tom Cruise being in it aside.

But you know what I really liked? The Hunt For Red October. And that doesn't even really count.

Yeah I told Joe to see Saving Private Ryan. I expected him to enjoy the movie, even without the funny shit happening.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 06:48:37 am »

300 isn't a war movie is fantasy movie like those dungeon and dragons movies you sometimes see on Sci-fi.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 06:50:04 am »

I just watched A Bridge Too Far, man does it have alot of great actors in it.

Loved that one.

I only recently got into war movies, my favorite so far is not a movie but a series, Band of Brothers as Aqizzar said. I can't really bring myself to watch Private Ryan because I'm too much of a little girl when it comes to someone begging for death, especially when they scream for their mother (Yeah, I saw that scene. sob.) But the film that really got to me, and the one I don't ever regret watching, was the heart wrenching masterpiece, Gallipoli. Seriously, how could it not be mentioned yet? For weeks after I first watched it I got tears in my eyes whenever I heard a whistle. I still love it and still watch it and yes, still cry.

Oh yeah, I also like Black Hawk Down. Fantastic movie. Also also, The Hunt for Red October, which I only saw two days ago. I'm working through the amazing book.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 06:57:07 am »

I'm looking for the book right now, but I'm just backed up with so much fucking reading. I've got two more Harry Turtledove books to read, the Ultramarines Omnibus which I haven't touched in two months, several more S.M Stirling books of which I have and don't have, I just don't think I should buy more right now. Its just so hard for me.

Books for me are cheap change, and I love reading. So whenever I'm at the mall, in the book store, I just HAVE to buy a book on the way out.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 07:14:07 am »

There is a baddass movie about a cambodian war, about a village trying to get a bronze cannon to work to save their asses, cant remember the name, when i do I will post, cuz its badass. (sorry for the grammar here).

I swear I know what movie this is, but for the life of me I can't remember it.

I forget the name of one about the blowing the damn with Harrison Ford.

Force 10 From Navarone because it was theoretically the sequel to The Guns of Navarone even though it shared no actors or plot points.  While Guns was a pretty good war movie based on relatively real events, Force 10 was a trash action movie indeed staring Harrison Ford and the guy who played Apollo Creed, in an early example of shoehorning a token black guy into utterly inexplicable historical situations.

Has Lawrence of Arabia been mentioned yet?  Stylish, powerful movie, offering a glimpse of a very different kind of warfare, which I always enjoy.

And while I can't think of any specific titles, let's not forget all those cookie-cutter WWII movies John Wayne made while WWII was still going.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 07:15:50 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 07:33:56 am »

Battle of Neretva
A movie about partisans getting their asses kicked by the Germans.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4