Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 260434 times)

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #735 on: September 23, 2009, 09:30:11 am »

It would, but you only need 1 fireball.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: September 23, 2009, 09:47:25 am »

And it's not only fireballs. Don't SoFs cause heat damage just by standing next to dorfs, due to heir extremely high temp? If Morul's going melee with them, he's likely to at least sustain some injuries. If he has some time to recover and heal between one SoF and the next, and if he kills them quick, he might be able to do it.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: September 23, 2009, 10:07:20 am »

Does water even extinguish fire currently?

Yes, it does.  I had a bunch of dwarves catch on fire in a succession game.  I put them out by drafting them and having them walk into 1/7 water.

The SOF do have a very high body temp, so putting morul out with water wouldn't be a full solution.  However, I was trying to think of ways to extend Morul's longevity even a little.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: September 23, 2009, 10:17:37 am »

And it's not only fireballs. Don't SoFs cause heat damage just by standing next to dorfs, due to heir extremely high temp? If Morul's going melee with them, he's likely to at least sustain some injuries. If he has some time to recover and heal between one SoF and the next, and if he kills them quick, he might be able to do it.
Morul kills them in 1 hit so its no problem, they have tested Morul against SoF's before. if you go back som pages you may find it. he died later by a fireball.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 23, 2009, 06:25:40 pm »

If a crossbow outranges fireballs that might be an option. 

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: September 23, 2009, 09:43:11 pm »

Fireballs can be blocked or dodged, though I don't believe that armor helps against them, either they miss or do full damage. I think the lethality of a SoF's internal temperature is overstated though, it is possible for a very tough dwarf to survive long enough to land a killing stroke against a SoF without taking lethal damage. So long as the SoF didn't do permanent damage instantly, Morul would heal back up the the tick after the fire hurt him, and with his legendary weapon skill he could almost certainly kill or maim the SoF with a single swing.

The main problem would be the same problem Morul has with orcs. If his weapon gets stuck or the SoF tries to wrestle him, he'll be toast (literally). 30 SoF will make even the most legendary dwarf quake in his boots. It may be doable if Morul was joined with other legendary soldiers (I'm pretty sure Morul's sparring partners must be legendary by now, unless he keeps accidentally killing them, which I doubt since they're in at least masterwork steel) to keep the battle a little less lopsided, but en masse the demons will overwhelm him.

I would definitely bet Morul to win against 30 frog or tentacle demons, but SoF are ridiculously dangerous.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: September 23, 2009, 10:09:09 pm »

Any one of his sparring partners could kill Cacame. I don't think it would be a problem.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: September 24, 2009, 06:26:18 pm »

Your dwarf may be the most interesting, but my 2 dwarves are the best warriors of all time!

Dumed Olum Berim: 278 kills, 159 notable kills, orcs, frost giants, megabeasts, and many others. He became the enemy of all who threatened my fortress. Zas was almost as good.
They were both legendary in any weapon skill that they could find a weapon for. Alas, I can't prove this or remember their names anymore since my computer crashed. They both have defended my fort countless times by themselves, and let them earn the respect of all dwarves out there for protecting their civilization. That is all.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 24, 2009, 07:00:07 pm »

I'm fairly certain Morul must have on the order of 1000 or more kills by this point.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: September 24, 2009, 07:08:46 pm »

Really? Good god. I never read a lot of this thread since it was intimidating by it's size. And Holy Mittens, you must be pretty awesome to be able to generate a world with an elf like Cacame. I salute you sir.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: September 24, 2009, 08:06:39 pm »

The last concrete number I get from a quick search is 551 back at the end of June, but I'm pretty sure that Morul has killed off at least eight or ten sieges since then. So somewhere around 800 kills at minimum though I don't know if that's including the various native species of animals that he extirpated while maxing out hunting.

Of course, he's also eliminated the fire snake from existence and probably rendered the Wild Purring Maggot extinct to boot with only its zoo dwelling cousins remaining.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: September 24, 2009, 10:17:13 pm »

I must know, who is Cacame? I've seen the name before on some of my elven traders, (before the drowning) but have not heard of a legendary elf of that name.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #747 on: September 24, 2009, 10:38:11 pm »

I must know, who is Cacame? I've seen the name before on some of my elven traders, (before the drowning) but have not heard of a legendary elf of that name.
Check Holy Mittens sig, Cacame has joined the rank(s?) of the legendary dwar-Elves apparently.

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: October 02, 2009, 07:39:22 pm »

Yeah, if your soldiers kill the SOFs quickly enough their constant temperature isn't a serious danger, just the fireballs. I have multiple champions with multiple SOF kills, mostly in perfect health. Moreover, they were wearing high-quality iron, not steel let alone adamantium. I suggest a zig-zagging pathway so that the SOFs can't have line of sight without being in melee range.
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: October 02, 2009, 08:52:16 pm »

Hey morul.  Your adventurers highest skill must be higher than the person who you are trying to recuit's highest skill.  In this case, most likely wrestling or mining.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 71