Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Hammerfall  (Read 8446 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hemmerfall
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 10:43:02 pm »

I find swords are pretty useless to me

Their advantage is that they take little effort to put into a damaging blow and they sometimes don't affect your ship as much. So they are better for armies of weaklings unless your pretty good at the game.

Their advantage isn't damage. (Well... I guess you could combo the swords easier)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 01:19:55 am »

It's really easy to combo a sword strike by accident. Once you get one, getting two or three more isn't hard. And they can be insanely deadly when you get a critical.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 01:35:14 am »

It's really easy to combo a sword strike by accident. Once you get one, getting two or three more isn't hard. And they can be insanely deadly when you get a critical.

It is lovely how little swing you need to make a sword do damage. (It is one of the few weapons I am aware of that can do decent damage just by having enemies walk into it)

One of the sword's major issues is that using it to hit an enemy doing a circle dance without getting struck yourself is difficult because Swords have such little recoil. (Especially if the enemy is using a chain).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 01:38:54 am by Neonivek »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 02:46:50 am »

I'm too used to swords, and have a different problem with maces. My swings usually go too far, and the enemy flies between me and the mace. And if you don't want to get hit, make sure you slide past the enemy after you strike.

And, speaking of weapons. You know the two levels where you are chained and unarmed, right? Did you ever kill your opponents there, or acquire their weapons?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 02:56:32 am »

Did you ever kill your opponents there, or acquire their weapons?

My situation was this... I was on the Bee mission and dropped my weapon by mistake trying to do what I thought was changing my weapon.

The starting mace is a HUGE disadvantage against the bees compared to the sword they give you.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 06:41:22 am »

Hm, the demonstration video was quite interesting, so I'm gonna give the game a shot.  8)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 12:34:18 pm »

My favorite weapon is the black warhammer, gun blade combo. I've dropped opponents in one shot and one slam with that setup.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 01:49:07 pm »

And, speaking of weapons. You know the two levels where you are chained and unarmed, right? Did you ever kill your opponents there, or acquire their weapons?

My problem with those ones was that I kept killing my opponents, and kept losing from that.

Seriously, I don't want to wait that long just to win a mission.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 02:16:07 pm »

I accidentally killed them, when accidentally knocked one and sent it flying into a wall  :)
You know the level where you're chained and you face the big monster thing? Its first charge blew out the block I was attached to. I spent the whole time fighting the force of gravity pulling my ship down. My wrist ached. Still, it was funny when the monster crashed right into the brick  ;D
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 02:20:41 pm »

I never lost because I killed my opponents in those levels. I once managed to acquire the hammer in the first such level (it involved dropping at least six of those large ceiling stones onto the hammerer, and clobbered the guy. And won. Fun stuff.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 04:48:29 pm »

I accidentally killed them, when accidentally knocked one and sent it flying into a wall  :)
You know the level where you're chained and you face the big monster thing? Its first charge blew out the block I was attached to. I spent the whole time fighting the force of gravity pulling my ship down. My wrist ached. Still, it was funny when the monster crashed right into the brick  ;D

Oh gawd, I did that my first try and thought it was supposed to happen. That was hard as HELL. But that absurdly heavy block makes for an awesome weapon if you're as lucky as that. I spent the brief moments after winning trying to keep myself from falling into the abyss.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 06:38:00 pm »

Swords can make for some very potent weapons if you can figure out stabbing.

My favorite sword tactic was to have two big red-gemmed sword linked to each other.  I don't remember exactly which swords they were, but they were big and fancy and did pretty good damage.  Also, they were almost exactly the same weight, which was important.

Then it was simply a matter of moving around very quickly.  You either slice along the side of an opponent or stab directly into them.  The slicing doesn't really do all the much damage, but it does charge up the gems quite nicely, and if you can get a good stab in with a fully-charged sword?  Blammo.

The even weight also allowed for very controllable and speedy flying.  The result was a ship that moved to fast to be hit and could zip in to shatter an opponent in one or two stabs.

This was also the most effective method for dealing with bees or other multi-enemy fights.  Just keep flying around and everything will die.  I remember when I played that one special mode where you defend against the bees (that's Grim, isn't it).  When the swarm came and I started moving around, the screen soon became a blur of bug guts and leg segments, interspersed with explosions from the bomber bees.  I really had no idea anything could be that effective against them until I tried it.  Beating that mode was pathetically easy after that.

As for a general preference, I go for maces.  Just something very satisfying about smashing someone to bits with a perfectly-aimed blow...

I did however have a hell of a time after I planted a purple gem in that black hammer.  Thor didn't have nothin' on me.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 06:54:02 pm »

So is development really dead?  Can anyone actually read the Russian thread and let us know what is going on?

BTW, like Kagus says, a big advantage to swords is that they can stab; you can basically just ram something with the point and cause massive hurt to it.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 11:14:42 pm »

Anyone have a clue on what does what in the save files?

I'm looking at the player save files in specific,and what you can do to your character's gear...

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 01:01:47 am »

So is development really dead?  Can anyone actually read the Russian thread and let us know what is going on?

BTW, like Kagus says, a big advantage to swords is that they can stab; you can basically just ram something with the point and cause massive hurt to it.

Hopefully not - on google translated page you can read that author was seaking publisher.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7