Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Hammerfall  (Read 8422 times)

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
Hammerfall
« on: April 28, 2009, 11:16:42 am »

Hammerfall is awesome physics based indie game, at its current stage its very buggy and has an annoying one hour time limit per save file. Its developed in Russian, almost all of the game has been translated, but some parts have a few grammar errors and stuff. It was nominated for the Semus McNally prize last year but lost to Crayon Physics.
Its an awesome game that certainly deserves attention.

Fun Motion page

Forum page thingy

Google translated forum page thingy

Pics:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The thread thingy is still alive but development seems to have stopped, correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:13:51 am by ILikePie »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Hemmerfall
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 11:18:40 am »

A nonjudgmental link, for the reference of people who want to read our old Hammerfall thread:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=2736.0
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 11:19:53 am »

The hour demo thingy can be bypassed by playing an hour on the first file, then making a second file and playing an hour on that, then deleting the first file and restarting on that one. I believe that was what we decided here.

Fun game, I didn't find it to be buggy, merely incomplete. Playing as a gun ship is great fun.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 11:26:38 am »

The limit can also be instantly bypassed by hacking the save files... (Its just changing one variable)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 11:36:26 am »

I can't play this. I try to swing my mace, but my copter ends up rotating around it.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 01:10:41 pm »

Then you have to practice more.  Once you've got a hang of the physics it gets a lot easier.
Try moving in a large, clockwise circle, then at about 1 or 2 o'clock jerk down and back, bringing your mace crashing down onto the enemy.  Once you've mastered this move things should get easier.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 02:22:39 pm »

For crazy fun: once you get the bladed cannon thingy, edit the Objects/Weapons/gun_blade.seria file (it's just text), and change m_ammoclip_size and m_max_ammo to 1000. When you next use it, it will fire off the one shot, reload, and then you can machinegun stuff to death. Beware of lag though.

Also, the game seems to have died the typical Indie death. It was bought by a publisher, was renamed to Hammerfight, and successfully disappeared into the timestream.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:25:56 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 02:39:16 pm »

Wait, it disappeared? Agh, no! Not Hammerfall! This is one of the best indie games I've ever played. It's such a simple mechanic executed so gracefully that the usages become uncountable.

I used a sword, a lot, but realized I like hammers and maces *much* more. Specifically the maces on a chain- they're the hardest to use, I think, and yet the most fun.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 02:42:56 pm »

Well, exactly where it disappeared to is a matter of doubt. On one hand, there are some posts that indicate that development was actually going for a while (and up until recently at least), with machiheguns and mortars being added (not the right direction I think). On the other hand, there are absolutely no official words on the game's status, neither from the creator nor the publisher.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 02:44:22 pm »

The bugs I found were horrible though. Mostly because it made the game nearly impossible...

Just a tip: Don't lose your weapon... you will never get it back

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 02:47:48 pm »

Not true. You cannot pick up a second weapon, that much is true. But if you lose your only weapon, you can always pick it up. It may take some work, especially if you've been reduced to the flashing red light, and of course not if the weapon is still moving on its own - it counts as thrown then, and you can't take it.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 04:48:03 pm »

I only ran into two bugs in memory: sometimes I couldn't enter the training room (I would immediately exit it again) and one mission didn't "complete" properly, which caused me to edit the save and hop by it.

Hated that one anyway. Electrical things were involved.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 04:51:43 pm »

If you're quick, you can catch thrown weapons as well.  You have to fly along with the weapon a bit before it latches on, not easy when it's spinning around.

Only bugs I found were the unfinishedness near the end, the freeze bug and the shield bug.
The freeze bug was awesome, it just made your freezing weapon get infinitely cold, eventually freezing you and everything you hold dear. (as in, your other weapons)
The shield bug happened when your should would 'pull' you in one direction when locked. Quite annoying.

To do loads of damage, you can lock a gun to a sword, and use the force of the gunshot to stab your foe.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 05:21:39 pm »

But if you lose your only weapon, you can always pick it up

Nope! That was the bug I found.

You were given a specific mission related weapon, you lose it... you don't get it back.

Good luck defeating the enemies with your starting weapon.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 09:44:31 pm »

Tip, the red mace is the deadliest thing in the game.

Found this a few months ago, pretty fun. Grim Mode is great for people like me.

I have all the weapons, and the time limit hack is insanely easy. And worry-free.

I find swords are pretty useless to me, even my triple-gemed katana can barely make a scratch compared to my gemed red mace that can smash a wall ten bricks thick into rubble.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7