Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 39

Author Topic: New Graphics set in the making (halted)  (Read 77196 times)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Graphics set in the making
« Reply #405 on: May 24, 2009, 03:36:32 pm »

I want a Kobold character sheet, even if I have to kill for it!
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
    • My Linkedin.com profile is all bout me
« Reply #406 on: May 24, 2009, 04:16:28 pm »

Urist McDwarf cancels task. Interrupted by bird... plane... No! it's ROCKET KOBOLD!

Hahaha.  I need to see that movie again.

I tried making some sort of Iron Man kobold, but he looks a bit boring, compared to the rocket dude at least.

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 26, 2009, 01:56:51 am »

Got COMPLETELY sidetracked this weekend! I quickly made duplicates to fill in some kobold jobs and whipped up some quick "nobles" just so I could go make me a kobold camp!

1st attempt, completely overrun by elves... twice!
2nd attempt, same as 1st only much much worse.
3rd attempt, decided they needed something to help them kill stuff... so I modded in a giant two legged rhino lizard which pretty much just copied the dog raws with a beak dog body (and whipped them up some sprites for the hell of it). But didnt get my military up in time.. again..
4th attempt, reclaimed, got a bunch of blowgunners into my little towers and trained half of my bolds military.. success! My Kobold camp managed to fight off an elven ambush for the first time!

Anyways, I'll get back to spriting tomorrow. And heres the little quickies I whipped up just for my little game :P

Kobold baron -> baroness (Even though they never managed to show up)
Captain of the guard -> Sheriff

And my giant two legged rhino lizards!

To bluequestionsonhelmetstuffs: The blue helmets are meant to be copper with that worn in look like Vattic said. I stole my palette for them straight off of a picture of a copper ore with that colouring. But I'll try messing around with the colours tomorrow and see if I can get it to look any more.. copperier?

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
    • My Linkedin.com profile is all bout me
« Reply #408 on: May 26, 2009, 08:46:45 am »

Those lizards are very "rhino" and very "two legged". Good job!   :P

Also, the Captain of the guard and Sheriff seem to have a distinctly darker and dirtier shade to them, compared to all your other kobold colours so far.
It this something you made specifically for them, or could it be applied to most other kobolds as well? I find this dirtier look much more fitting for the race.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 26, 2009, 09:50:24 am »

Do you mean for their helmets or their bodies?  I'd flatly have to disagree if you want all the kobold helms to look that color.  Looks more coppery, but the civilians are supposed to be wearing clay.

Those rhino lizards are cute!

The first time I embarked in kobold camp, it was in the middle of an elven retreat.  I never got any friendly ambushers.  As soon as I walled up the druid and drowned her using a pond zone, then attempted to sell her clothes to the first kobold traders to arrive, I got a proper elven siege!

(well, actually my first embark was on a saltwater map before I realized I couldn't make corkscrew pumps with kobolds... :p )

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 26, 2009, 10:00:32 am »

really liking everything here, but your download runs epically slow, slower than all the other mods and graphic packs I've got on my PC

Other than that I think this is amazing, keep it up!
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 26, 2009, 03:23:06 pm »

Pretty much finished with the kobold sheet. Just need to figure out the `copper` colour to give the elites.

So heres some mock ups of the patina'd colour (All taken directly from source pics)

Maybe It's my screen's muted colours or maybe I'm somewhat colourblind.. but all the pics I've found so far look more blue than green ><

To Redhades: The colour for the sheriff and captain were made just for them, wanted to make them look more worn in. And the source of the clay helms was actually from an early stargate episode I saw on the telly a while ago :P

To Madrain: I surprised myself with being able to keep 51 kobolds alive with just trapping live vermin and eating the bones of the fallen.. If anyone wants to add challenge to their DF, kobolds are soo the way to go. No uber weapons, no armour, and no size! Why is it so fun to lose....

To Metal Militia: None of the downloads are actually mine, ones been incorporated into the DFG and hosted on mike mayday's site, and the other was put together by corona688, so sorry If theyre slow.. but its definitely got to be faster than doing with all my poorly layed out instructions and text editing right? :P

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 26, 2009, 04:08:11 pm »

weird that, mike's normal graphic set works fine (after buggering about in the .init) but I think it might just be that install, I'll try and download it again.

4 is really blue, 2 is kinda blue but you have to stare at it a bit to see it but it's mostly green.

1 and 3 are more the oxidised copper that I came across while work as a lab tech I would go with 3

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
« Reply #413 on: May 26, 2009, 04:33:49 pm »

i say that nr. 1 is the best, nr 3 is good too. 2 is too green.
I could be wrong.  What would you call it when you spend that much time obsessing over something that it turns out you don't even like?
Relationships?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 26, 2009, 04:52:21 pm »

3 looks good.  4 is probably accurate, but I think it looks jarring because we don't often see an object with such a uniformly bright patina.  It would be cool if there was still some copper showing through, but it would probably just look confusing.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 26, 2009, 05:11:29 pm »

3's my favorite.  Actually 4 is the only one I think doesn't work.. looks too close to some sort of steel to me.

51 kobolds?  You rock harder than me.  I had a hunter but he got in a fight with a deer and either it or an elf exploded him.  Afterwards the other 6 lived on fishing and gathered seeds.  The kobolds were too busy to make friends--none ever had babies--and when I got immigrants there were only like 3.  They were no match when the elves struck.  :p

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 26, 2009, 06:40:57 pm »

i like 1 and 3 and agree with the other posts that one is almost too green, #3 is my favrite of the colors. to understand how it would realy look was to take it and change the background to black, that generally shows the contrast. the colors are nice.

Now i have to go to the kobold camp thread to start a discussion on Nobel changes so we can see kobold Royal Guards with Shining Orange Copper helms..

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 26, 2009, 07:11:56 pm »

Looks like everyone likes 3, as do I. 1 isn't bad either in my opinion..

Verdian

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 27, 2009, 12:36:57 am »

I am interested in trying this, but I wanted to ask some questions.  Apologies if these have been answered already.  I read some of this thread, but not all of it.  :-X

1) How do you install this?  There are several links on the first post.  Are they the most recent versions?  Do I need to install each race seperately?
2) Does this include items and ore and rock and walls and all that?  Or just the races?
3) Is this different from May Green?  He claims to have used lots of sprites from Beefmo, but the screenshot on his page looks nothing like these sprites.

Thanks for your help!
ArkDelgato: Why is my house filled with vomit.
nahkh: Why ISN'T your house filled with vomit?!

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 27, 2009, 06:10:08 am »

3 looks good.  4 is probably accurate, but I think it looks jarring because we don't often see an object with such a uniformly bright patina.  It would be cool if there was still some copper showing through, but it would probably just look confusing.

that is a good idea.

Do copper and then put random sploges of green so it looks like jarring camo that doesn't work, very kobold
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 39