Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 39

Author Topic: New Graphics set in the making (halted)  (Read 77199 times)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
Re: New Graphics set in the making
« Reply #390 on: May 22, 2009, 11:18:24 pm »

I pictured the cook's pot to be shaped like a chef's hat, instead of... the odd thing that doesn't really look like anything.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
    • My Linkedin.com profile is all bout me
« Reply #391 on: May 22, 2009, 11:32:46 pm »

Miner -> Woodcutter -> Engraver -> Architect -> Cook (If Vactor doesnt mind)
Butcher -> Fish Cleaner -> Fisherbold -> Animal caretaker/trainer -> Trapper

Very nice! Is the last one holding a cute little mouse by the tail?
About the Architect, I don't get at all his depiction. What's he doing, and what's that little pile next to him?
Could he be holding a Support instead, a bit like the Mason and the carpenter with their totem thingy? I mean something like THIS.

Edit:
Here, I tried tweaking it to something more "architecturely"

I tried putting both stone pillar and wooden structure in there.

Edit:
Help! I can't stop!

Urist McDwarf cancels task. Interrupted by bird... plane... No! it's ROCKET KOBOLD!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 01:19:12 am by Redhades »

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #392 on: May 22, 2009, 11:53:03 pm »

There needs to be a curly mustache incorperated in these graphics somewhere.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 23, 2009, 12:12:31 am »

He's picking his nose because he doesn't know the FUCK how to do any architectural shit, because he's a bloody KOBOLD! :3

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 23, 2009, 02:19:17 am »

To Corona688: Thanks! I'll chuck that up on the first post page aswell. So I'm assuming you got it all to work?
It sure seems to.  I haven't tested it exhaustively of course -- where in heck am I supposed to find a goblin cook -- but all my various dwarves, captured monsters, invaders, and traders so far have showed up without a glitch.  I'm a bit sad those two hippie elves aren't in it but I think elves died in this worldgen anyway, 3 years and not one elf merchant.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 23, 2009, 08:07:40 am »

the cook's all yours
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 23, 2009, 11:38:34 am »

To Techhead: I'll try whipping up a cooks hatpothelmthingy and see how it turns out. But I REALLY do like the cooking pot on the head, we'll see what I can do with it.

To Redhades: Trapperbold has somehow managed to catch himself a little mouse.. HE'S SO TALENTED! :P
And I was trying to keep the architect in line with all my other architects.. like:

Dwarf designed a mountain home! Human designed a house! Goblin designed an obsidian tower! And kobold.. well... he tried...

And btw.. rocketbold is pretty much awesome!

To DoctorZ: Your pretty much spot on :P

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 23, 2009, 05:01:17 pm »

To me it looks like he's thinking or planning.  I have no idea what the thing on the ground is supposed to be, material-wise.  A pile of dirt?  A curled up animal skin?  A rotting baby seal?

I like his pose.  If I supported anachronism I'd give him multicolored blocks, the kind toddlers play with (or used to when I was a brat).  As if his building were more childish than the others.  As it is I've no idea what would be good.  The dwarf already looks like he's building a tent (from the shape, I mean)...

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 24, 2009, 01:19:02 am »

@madrain: I think the dwarf is standing over a mountain with a hole in it, the Human an above ground structure with a steeple, the gobbo is standing over an obsidian tower, an elf would probably be standing over a great "home tree" or whatever its called in DF.
AND the kobold stands next to a dilapidated and half collapsed hut.

I don't get why the weapons and armor pots are all blue? Kobolds pretty much only use copper metal wise.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 24, 2009, 01:25:44 am »

@Bloogonis: That blue is copper. It's called Verdigris and its what happens when you leave copper unpolished and in the open air. Just look at the statue of liberty. Saying that it isn't really the right shade of blue so I might be wrong.

I really like the clay helmets for the kobolds, makes me laugh to see them.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 24, 2009, 01:41:54 am »

Verdigris is generally green, I looked some more and found a lot of iron that went turned a similar blue, and later a couple things listed as copper that were also blue.
 Ive seen with copper pipes its almost always aquamarine -> green, maybe with blue outlining the green parts. also its blotchy.

Well, I will wait for beefmos response before I continue my tirade at this major detail that must be changed or he is a stupid head and his art is ugly.

Note: the above statement is not the view of the poster but the view of the evil insomnia demon in his head and the limits of typed sarcasm. :P

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 24, 2009, 01:51:30 am »

@Bloogonis: I just did a quick search and beefmo called it patina:
I went for the patina`d (If thats even the word I`m after) Copper pot helmet look for the military since they are kobolds.. and they would never polish it right?

Turns out verdigris is the patina that forms on the surface of copper. Perhaps he should change the colour to a more green?

6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 24, 2009, 01:58:13 am »

The butcher and fish cleaner will give me nightmares.  I love these kobolds so much.  It's such a different take on them and very refreshing.  Though, mightn't one of the jobs be depicted holding more of these clay pot helms?  They must come from somewhere.  Stone Crafter, maybe?

Lyle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 24, 2009, 02:28:31 pm »

Hello Mister Beefmo, have you ever thought of doing a Character Set? Your graphic sets are great but there isn't really any character sets I like.

Also I noticed the link to the mayday.txt in your first post doesn't have the TR's capitalised.
Here is a fixed version, also you don't have to download this one  :) : http://pastebin.com/f302b684c

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 24, 2009, 02:37:46 pm »

Urist McDwarf cancels task. Interrupted by bird... plane... No! it's ROCKET KOBOLD!

Hahaha.  I need to see that movie again.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 39