Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waterfall Tower: Utterly Confused  (Read 1750 times)

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
Waterfall Tower: Utterly Confused
« on: April 26, 2009, 11:37:15 pm »

In my current fortress I'm trying to build an artificial waterfall.

So far I have dug a large chamber to hold water and built a 4x6, 4 z-level tower that I want to pump the water to the top of.

My current idea to power the thing is to have a windmill on the tower roof with vertical axles going to the pump on each level. If I actually have wind then does this have a hope of working with just 1 mill?

Also, what would be the best set-up for the pumps so that each one can be powered without manual labor?

I've already looked at the wiki on Waterfalls and such and searched here but couldn't find anything to help me.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Waterfall Tower: Utterly Confused
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 11:44:37 pm »

Well, since you've read up, you should know that pumps can transfer power between z-levels.
I severely doubt you will get the whole thing running with only one windmill, water wheels won't hurt anything, anyway. :)

As for powering the pumps, combined with what I said above, just make sure the top pumps or bottom pumps have power going to them and that you set up a proper pump tower, and you're done.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 12:09:02 am »

You will need multiple windmills. Even if your map has enough wind to generate 40 power per windmill, that's still not enough to operate a 4-level pump tower once you include the power needed for axles and gears. The wiki can give you the numbers to let you calculate exactly how many you'll need.

My current map can only produce 20 power per windmill, and it takes nine windmills just to operate a very modest pump tower that drains one of my traps.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 04:19:38 am »

actually, if you build it a certain way, and have high wind on your map, 1 windmill could be enough.

1. you won't be able to use any axles or gear assemblies, a windmill with high wind is just enough to power 4 pumps (40 power generated, 10 used per pump), although this can be achieved by using the pump tower setup from the wiki, which connects the pumps directly to eachother with no gearing.

2. your setup will require that the topmost pump be on the z level directly below the surface because it will connect directly to the bottom of the windmill

if you don't have the wind, or if you need it to be deeper underground, then you will need more than one windmill

[edit] oh, i read your post wrong. if this is in an aboveground tower then you'll definitely be able to attach the windmill directly to the top. the only issue is wind.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 04:39:50 am by AncientEnemy »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 04:32:22 am »

(Is there a screen to find out if you have high wind, or does it vary over time/season, or do you have to build a windmill and just test it?)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 04:40:36 am »

(Is there a screen to find out if you have high wind, or does it vary over time/season, or do you have to build a windmill and just test it?)

building a windmill is the only way i know of, and I personally haven't had it vary over season, but I can't say for sure that it doesn't

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 09:56:59 am »

Power aside, would this work?

Pump
Pump
Pump
Pump
Pump
Pump<--- [Power]

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 10:04:20 am »

Wind is constant. Only way I know is to build one to find out. And you should know a windmill doesn't need to be on the surface to work, just the center tile of the windmill has to be classified as Outside Above Ground, or every tile above it has to be unobstructed. So you can in fact have windmills buried deep underground as long as you have a narrow shaft to the surface above their center tile. Most maps have wind power of 20, sometimes you're lucky and get 40, sometimes you get unlucky and have 0 wind... PS: water wheels are much more effecient. 100 power, less logs, and if you do it right, can make your own power generator taking advantage of how little power screw pumps require compared to their potential water flow output.
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 01:55:10 pm »

I have heard that wind is determined per biome, so if your map consists of more than one biome, you could have different wind power on different areas of your map. I haven't tested this myself, though.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 01:56:52 pm »

Power aside, would this work?

Pump
Pump
Pump
Pump
Pump
Pump<--- [Power]

It would work, assuming that the pump tower was constructed like the one in the wiki. Attach the power source to the back (intake) side of the pump.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 12:23:45 am »

This waterfall stuff is tricky. All I've suceeded in doing so far is hooking up the waterwheel line and flooding the tower, flow control room, and part of the forest about 7 times.

Can someone please explain to me in simplest terms exactly how I need to build this thing to make it work and not flood everything?

The included screenshot shows the ground level of the tower with the axle hooked up and powered. The red X is where I've been putting the channel for the first pump.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 01:00:58 am »

Can someone please explain to me in simplest terms exactly how I need to build this thing to make it work and not flood everything?

Channel a drainage moat that encircles the waterfall area, floorgrate it all to let dwarves run through waterfall, dig a duct out of your base and make a windmill+pump (pumping out of it to the end of map).
Finis sanctificat media.