Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 394684 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #1275 on: September 07, 2009, 03:48:13 pm »

The UK is a pure democracy now? News to me.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: September 07, 2009, 03:54:01 pm »

well, not pure, but far more so than the US.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: September 07, 2009, 04:16:27 pm »

Intelligent? The tags broken, I don't know of an intelligent person who'd jump onto a thread and insult people like that.
look at thyself.
the insults are nothing but to get reactions from various people. I don't pretend to know you, and I don't mean anything that demeans you with such intent. I apologize. and this may very well be due to the fact that I am alien to most people(somehow including my friends).

Love! I must hug you for apologizing.

Platonic love for all!

I believe that all religions are a path to God (and atheism doesn't disqualify you should you do good in life), as do many people. Don't make the mistake of generalizing something like that. We aren't like that, you aren't like that, most of the sane (makin' IWM happy, doot doo dee doo) world is not like that.

Nice point of view. Not Christian however.

"You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me, but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments."

Sounds familiar?

Exodus 23:24
"Thou shalt not bow down to their gods, nor serve them, nor do after their works: but thou shalt utterly overthrow them, and quite break down their images."

Tolerance is not a Christian value.

I'm not going to get into a debate, but Exodus? Nah.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: September 07, 2009, 04:33:30 pm »

because we never believed the world was flat, nor that the universe was heliocentric.
scientific facts has always been exactly the same over all of time.
You may have accidentally shot yourself in the foot here.  The fact that science changes when new evidence comes around is exactly what makes it different to religion.
Scientific FACT doesn't change. Theories that explains those facts get updated.
The world was NEVER flat. (not counting the time where it was a blob of amorphous minerals). It didn't become round one day around 1492.
The universe didn't stop spinning around our Sun only once science decided it didn't.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 04:38:17 pm by Sergius »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: September 07, 2009, 04:40:04 pm »

My point is that if you're allowed to ignore a bible verse if you disagree with it, then there's almost no point in having a central book to believe in anyway.

It also goes the other way around. If you only take from the Bible those bits that agree with your own ideas and beliefs, then why even bother? You already do have those ideas and beliefs in the first place, since that's what you're filtering the Bible against. So what exactly is the point of doing so at all?
Guys, if you're going to argue, try not to agree so much.

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: September 07, 2009, 05:24:28 pm »

You gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiz
Just popping in to say
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The futility of argument over such matter makes it almost nonsensical to participate.  Are you really going to convince someone who's stuck in his ways? Even if you refute his point with valid scientific evidence that won't cause many people to change. I'm sure this is 100% common knowledge on forum but I guess that doesn't stop people from giving everyone a piece of their mind.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: September 07, 2009, 05:35:05 pm »

You realize we've heard the old fatalistic "NOBODY CAN CONVINCE ANYONE OF ANYTHING" argument like five times here already, and that it's not getting any better with age... right?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: September 07, 2009, 05:38:14 pm »

The futility of argument over such matter makes it almost nonsensical to participate.  Are you really going to convince someone who's stuck in his ways? Even if you refute his point with valid scientific evidence that won't cause many people to change. I'm sure this is 100% common knowledge on forum but I guess that doesn't stop people from giving everyone a piece of their mind.
You actually make a valid point.

Many years ago had a discussion with someone claiming that dinosaurs could never have existed because after the 7 days of world creation god created adam and eve.

No matter what I said that person was so brainwashed or fanatic or what ever that he could not listen to reason. Was kinda like true "DF FUN".

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: September 07, 2009, 05:41:26 pm »

S'cool man.
Guess you didn't see that I was implying most people. Dunno where you saw that I was being so absolute as to say you can't convince ANYONE.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: September 07, 2009, 06:01:34 pm »

I'm agreeing with him. :-\

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: September 07, 2009, 06:49:21 pm »

I'm agreeing with him. :-\

Lies!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: September 07, 2009, 06:54:50 pm »

Did I mention I love you all? Repeatedly?

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: September 07, 2009, 07:07:48 pm »

Laudy lou.
What the fuck man  :'( :'( :'( :'(
Sorry for all the spoiler tags but I assumed this is a better alternative to not having them.
Perfect world inorite?
Some people just plain outright suck.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: September 07, 2009, 07:53:13 pm »

No shit. But all of this neatly avoids the real question at hand, which is not whether Religion is good or not, but whether it is correct or not.
!!&!!

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: September 07, 2009, 08:09:07 pm »

Now see, who among mankind is qualified to arbitrarily judge right and wrong? All we have is the general consensus of society to go by.  Regardless though though this is the kinda shit that turns me away from Nihilism.  Sure you can go durr hurr morals'n'ethics are for losers but I find myself with too much empathy for my fellow man to feel completely untouched by the actions of these people.  Even if I was looking at the world through a completely objective and rational lens I would ultimately come to the conclusion that this kinda viewpoint is boring and even if I had to act I'd rather cultivate my personality through my experiences and pretend to be guided by my morals as opposed to a dull and bleak existence in which nothing matters to me.  Also, there is a little train of thought that has bugged me today, anyone who views themselves as a completely rational person would ultimately take up religion just on the off chance that it could be true.  Sure this means you're quite a sellout BUT if you can claim to be truly looking at the world in an objective sense then where does pride factor in?
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 370