Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391483 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #5130 on: October 13, 2010, 10:51:22 am »

You can't really harm an electron anyway.  And you're unlikely to do nuclear reactions on molecules too often.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5131 on: October 13, 2010, 11:03:58 am »

speaking of religions, I want to start a cult. Any suggestions on how I should start?
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: October 13, 2010, 11:04:35 am »

You can't really harm an electron anyway.  And you're unlikely to do nuclear reactions on molecules too often.
Turning on a light does some fun stuff to molecules if my understanding is correct... but the point of the argument is not so much the details of implementation.  If I go melt my telephone (that I'm supposed to be listening to right now) I'm altering the physical makeup and deforming it.  To omnipotence, this is no different than melting a human and/or deforming it.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5133 on: October 13, 2010, 11:05:41 am »

speaking of religions, I want to start a cult. Any suggestions on how I should start?

This is a good place to start

http://www.katspaw.com/holy.html

So perhaps you've figured out the way things ought to be, and now you want to spread the good word.  How to go about it?  Here are two potential alternatives.  People have used the first method for at least two millennia with great success; I personally like the second method better, though you won't necessarily rack up millions of believers right away if you use it.

First method:

1.  Tell everyone that what you're saying is the absolute truth.  Nothing sells like confidence.  If at all possible make your holy book really big and your sermons really loud.

2.  Tell everyone you got this information from someone bigger and stronger than you, and preferably someone invisible to everyone else.

3.  See if you can get persecuted for a few years for your beliefs.  People love an underdog, and they are impressed by determination and by a willingness to do totally insane things like sit out in the desert with no water.

4.  Denigrate the unbelievers.  Point to specific crimes.  Are they still eating pig?  Are they not participating?

5.  Denigrate women.  Apparently this works like a charm, although it's not clear why.

6.  Include a few taboos.  They can make sense if you like, particularly if they match the internal logic of your text, but throw in a few weird ones as well.  People will wonder what you know that they don't.  Besides it's always good for a laugh.

7.  If possible write this book during difficult times.  You're going to need a big market of people craving certainty, so uncertain times can only help you.

8.  Don't forget to both obliquely and directly encourage people to kill anyone who doesn't agree with you.  This is yet another method of demonstrating that you are absolutely right, while at the same time reducing the number of people who are likely to disagree with you.

Second method:

1.  If you think you've figured out a good way to live, lead by example.

2.  If people start following you around, be patient.  Remind them as often as possible that they are going to have to go it alone when it comes to finding the truth.

3.  Write beautifully and tell jokes, even bad ones.

4.  Don't put up with crap from people using the first method.  No killing -- just vigorous self-defense in every sense of the word.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: October 13, 2010, 12:45:23 pm »

Turning on a light does some fun stuff to molecules if my understanding is correct... but the point of the argument is not so much the details of implementation.  If I go melt my telephone (that I'm supposed to be listening to right now) I'm altering the physical makeup and deforming it.  To omnipotence, this is no different than melting a human and/or deforming it.
I meant atoms, oops.  You do all kinds of things to molecules just by existing.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5135 on: October 13, 2010, 12:46:32 pm »

Why? Electrons could have souls and be re-incarnations of something.  That period there... that was my grandmother!
And why not?

Only that is wasn't your grandmother, it was you.

Also, 'too unlimited' was a joke, albeit not too funny.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: October 13, 2010, 12:57:11 pm »

Why? Electrons could have souls and be re-incarnations of something.  That period there... that was my grandmother!
And why not?

Only that is wasn't your grandmother, it was you.
It can't be me.  It can be a part that used to be me, but "me" consists of the parts within my boundary.  Once parts leave said boundary, they become "not me."
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: October 13, 2010, 04:17:52 pm »

It can't be me.  It can be a part that used to be me, but "me" consists of the parts within my boundary.  Once parts leave said boundary, they become "not me."
True, but it is for certain values of "me". This came from a reincarnation discussion, where "me" is something different than the specific ordering of molecules that you are now.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5138 on: October 13, 2010, 04:51:59 pm »

Don't you need to be dead to be reincarnated into something else? So how are you going to be a period your looking at or how did that period use to be your grandmother?

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: October 13, 2010, 04:59:22 pm »

I don't think his grandmother has a period anymore.

... Wait, that's not what we're talking about?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5140 on: October 13, 2010, 05:13:10 pm »

Oh just stop all of this discussion about gods and rebirth. There is and always will be only one true god.

NOW KNEEL FOR YOUR GOD-EMPEROR OR BE EXTERMINATED AS A HERETIC!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Because I can"-WolfTengu

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: October 13, 2010, 05:34:31 pm »

Is that a Dune reference, or a Warhammer 40K reference?

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: October 13, 2010, 05:39:56 pm »

Warhammer 40k
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: October 13, 2010, 05:47:48 pm »

40K is pretty crazy awesome. But it just bugs me how the Imperium uses tactics and strategy that make WW1 look like a stroke of genius. Wouldn't all the stupid officers have died out by now?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: October 13, 2010, 05:48:32 pm »

Pfft.

They work.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 370