Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391744 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #4980 on: October 10, 2010, 07:20:40 pm »

If we're about to endure something mindboggly difficult, then God's lack of action is a sign that he knows we can endure what's going to happen, and that what is going to happen has to happen.

So, you're saying that when his lack of action results in someone not being able to endure it (like a person getting completely broken and depressed over a loved one's death, to the point of drinking themselves to death or simply losing their mind and becoming an insane homeless person) is God's way of saying "whoops!"?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: October 10, 2010, 08:04:52 pm »

If we're about to endure something mindboggly difficult, then God's lack of action is a sign that he knows we can endure what's going to happen, and that what is going to happen has to happen.

So, you're saying that when his lack of action results in someone not being able to endure it (like a person getting completely broken and depressed over a loved one's death, to the point of drinking themselves to death or simply losing their mind and becoming an insane homeless person) is God's way of saying "whoops!"?
I think of it as God's way of wanting them to try flying.  Obviously, if God is going to put you through the hardest part of your life, flight should be a just reward.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: October 10, 2010, 08:27:05 pm »

Of course, but he knows they'll fail!

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: October 10, 2010, 08:32:22 pm »

If we all start believing in the old gods again, maybe they will regain their power and we can get back to the days of wild hedonism and unrestrained, righteous smiting!

If you have a better idea...
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: October 10, 2010, 08:41:00 pm »

If we all start believing in the old gods again, maybe they will regain their power!
One can hope.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: October 10, 2010, 08:53:17 pm »

Once again, old gods win out here.
Good people got rewards.
Bad people punished.
Somewhere inbetween(like non-beleivers for christians) got something not really good, not really bad.
I seem to recall reading that the Greek conception of an afterlife was "even the best places, those granted mighty heroes and whatnot, were wretched and empty compared to the life of the lowest beggar".
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: October 10, 2010, 08:59:28 pm »

I think that the "Good Guys" went the the Elysian Fields, which was kind of like being alive again.
Those who angered the Gods would go to Tartarus, in which they would be given a punishment.
Everyone else would be in the "default" underworld, and would be something like a ghost.

I may be getting things mixed up, though.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: October 10, 2010, 09:03:32 pm »

How should God kill people then? 
Ideally, not at all; he's omnipotent, he can tell Malthus' Law to go fuck itself.

Should we get announcements by angels once a week to know who's going next?
If he's gonna insist on keeping up with the murders (which they are, given that everything that happens is God's will, right?), yeah. For starters.

Should there be free grief counseling by Jesus himself where he pats us on the head and assures that yes he loves us?
Yes. Cake would also be appreciated.

We Christians know that when God apparently does nothing, then either we can't see what he's up to, or he isn't going to change what's going to occur.
No, you don't. You believe it. Besides which, isn't the second option ACTUALLY doing nothing?

Because he set it up to happen. And I suppose you're discounting the people who couldn't endure it? What about people who've died suddenly, and for no apparent cause, with no chance to learn? It'd be a simple enough matter to disable old minefields for an omnipotent God. Is it worth any number of lives to say, "Hey, you probably shouldn't build minefields"?

God does minimize suffering and pain, but not to everyone and not all the time, it depends on the situation and what purpose that situation is going to serve.  Sometimes suffering is meant to strengthen, we don't build up a muscle by never stretching its limits.
He's fucking terrible at it if he does minimize suffering and pain. The only comfort God has ever provided anyone is the idea that he exists. I don't object to people taking comfort in that belief; I object when those people declare everyone whose ideas aren't identical to be wrong, and threaten them if they don't convert.

If you spend your life in sinful pleasures, ignoring and cursing God, why should you expect the same reward as someone who spent dedicated themselves to God and doing good?  It's like being an anarchist who is quite happy with his unemployment and food stamps.
So... anyone to whom bad things happen must be a bad person, because bad things only happen to bad people? Tell me you don't really believe that. What convinced you that that Leafsnail's friend's mother was a sinner?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: October 10, 2010, 11:12:30 pm »

Hypothetically, if Zeus were real, and were actually going about impregnating women with or without consent, causing disasters (often accidentally) and being a general dick, but also blessing people, listening to prayers and smiting great evils, would that be a better or worse world to live in?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: October 10, 2010, 11:14:21 pm »

If he were to appear right now and start going around like you said, the general upheaval caused by a damnable god running around wouldn't be worth it.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: October 10, 2010, 11:25:41 pm »

I mean in the sense that Zeus had always been running around, like if classical mythology had set the standard for what was to come.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: October 11, 2010, 12:57:53 am »

Constantine needs a swift kick up the rear for starting this thread.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: October 11, 2010, 01:01:35 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHh9ywmo5AE 1:30.

Female Palpatine.

I swear to.. uh.. Satan.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: October 11, 2010, 01:11:30 am »

Jack: Well, Constantinople was pillaged in a Crusade. Does that count?

Dr. Z: Yes, that sure is.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: October 11, 2010, 01:13:09 am »

I guess he's learned his lesson.

I mean, I'm not against the shift or organized religion per se, I just don't feel comfortable as part of a congregation or something like that.
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 370