Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391655 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #5010 on: October 11, 2010, 02:38:04 am »

That would just be plain evil.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: October 11, 2010, 02:38:51 am »

Yet cool.

EDIT: combo breaker :P
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #5012 on: October 11, 2010, 02:40:16 am »

Religious tolerance is a nice thing to have, isn't it?

Depends how much you tolerate. If people want to believe what they want that is fine, provided they don't start hurting others. I don't see why anyone should tolerate those that abuse and indoctrinate.
I would never tolerate somebody doing stuff like that. If you think that something is wrong, then fine. You want to kill the people? No. You want to yell at them? Fine, you can protest them, you just can't insult them or "bully" them. You want to convince other people that what they're doing is wrong? Again, fine, as long as you don't force it on people. Discriminate against them? No.

And yes, that would be evil and confusing, but incredibly awesome. (The sig and avatar matching, not discrimination or killing people :P)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: October 11, 2010, 02:41:08 am »

Yet cool.

EDIT: combo breaker :P

On the contrary, I think that SolarShado is close enough to warrant undue mischief. Welcome aboard!
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: October 11, 2010, 02:52:35 am »

What if God is subject to the Butterfly Effect (yes, the movie)?

Every time he interacts with the world by helping it, he just fucks it up more for the future?
I'd sit on my cloud and mope about my creation all day. Finally you have the ultimate God-Game, and then the only winning move is not to play.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: October 11, 2010, 03:01:48 am »

Oh, and FYI for all atheists, just as gay has replaced homosexual as a word, you're now all bright.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: October 11, 2010, 03:10:18 am »

While we're on the topic of atheism (HAHA), does anybody else think that Richard Dawkins is kind of a jerk? I'm not sure what is it, but something about that man rubs me the wrong way.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #5017 on: October 11, 2010, 03:15:50 am »

While we're on the topic of atheism (HAHA), does anybody else think that Richard Dawkins is kind of a jerk? I'm not sure what is it, but something about that man rubs me the wrong way.
What's so bad about coining the word "meme"? How is that even related to religion/atheism?

(I've never actually heard of this guy beyond that. What else has he done?)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: October 11, 2010, 03:19:26 am »

Discriminate against them? No.

Which is of course another problem of the religion tolerance issue. It's so very one sided. As an atheist you have to tolerate religion but as a follower of a religion you don't have to tolerate the reverse. For example recently here, in the UK, there was an advertising campaign someone ran saying, rather tamely, "There probably is no god. Now stop worrying and enjoy life". This provoked an unreasonably amount of outcry among lots of the religious group, however the wording is no where near as aggressive as that upon boards outside churches which for the most part state you are evil unless you worship there. Seems very one sided to me, freedom of speech should sacrosanct (not that any country actually has that, but I live in hope one will)
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: October 11, 2010, 03:20:44 am »

I have nothing against his work. Meme is a funtastic word. I just have the inkling that he's overly arrogant and has taken it upon himself to prove to everyone that they are wrong.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: October 11, 2010, 03:22:41 am »

Oh, and FYI for all atheists, just as gay has replaced homosexual as a word, you're now all bright.
A bright? No, that's stupid. I'm not certain why he'd think that's a good idea. The term is atheist, what the hell is wrong with that? Perhaps I'm missing somthing, but being an atheist is not like being gay. The only similarity I see is that there can be negative consequences for being a known atheist, somthing that I've found can be assuaged by simply standing up for yourself while not being an arrogent prick about it.

At times, but I can't say I don't sympathize. Arrogance and anger at the majority are one potential way to deal with the stress of being in a less-than-popular minority group, and sadly more atheists than I'd like seem to choose this option.

What's so bad about coining the word "meme"? How is that even related to religion/atheism?

(I've never actually heard of this guy beyond that. What else has he done?)
Spoken very strongly against creationism and very supportively of evolution, atheism, and rational thought at a great deal of places. Supported pretty much every atheism-centered group ever. Wrote many books, most famously The Selfish Gene and The God Delusion. Countless other projects I don't remember.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:24:28 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #5021 on: October 11, 2010, 03:48:26 am »

Discriminate against them? No.

Which is of course another problem of the religion tolerance issue. It's so very one sided. As an atheist you have to tolerate religion but as a follower of a religion you don't have to tolerate the reverse. For example recently here, in the UK, there was an advertising campaign someone ran saying, rather tamely, "There probably is no god. Now stop worrying and enjoy life". This provoked an unreasonably amount of outcry among lots of the religious group, however the wording is no where near as aggressive as that upon boards outside churches which for the most part state you are evil unless you worship there. Seems very one sided to me, freedom of speech should sacrosanct (not that any country actually has that, but I live in hope one will)
I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say. Why does one not have to tolerate atheism as a religious person? I tolerate atheism just fine. If somebody doesn't try to force it on me, then fine. That campaign wouldn't really bother me at all. People can express themselves if they want to, as long as it's not causing any harm, or trying to force their views on other people. Really, it's just a problem that many religions that have an afterlife (examples include Christianity) tend to condemn anybody outside of that particular religion, or anybody inside that religion that does something against it (homosexuality and many Christian groups, for example).

Personally, I believe in reincarnation, so whether or not you follow the religion doesn't matter. I have about the same attitude towards other religions that Atheism does. Basically, it doesn't matter whether you follow the religion or not, the outcome is all the same; it's just that following the religion can help you see the "truth" better, and in some cases save you some time. The difference is that Atheism tends to say that religion as a whole has no point, while I say that just blindly following the religion has no point; you have to discover the "truth" for yourself.

And in case anybody is wondering, yes, I am "hiding" my specific religion on purpose. I'd rather keep it to myself, because it's tied to my other beliefs, most of which are, well, looked down upon by most. (No I am not a Satanist or something ridiculous like that, though my religion is occasionally confused with it by some :P)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: October 11, 2010, 04:10:58 am »

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say. Why does one not have to tolerate atheism as a religious person? I tolerate atheism just fine.

I'm not saying they shouldn't, or that a large number don't have tolerance. But the large outcry at that particular advert what mostly a complain that the advertisers were not being tolerant which seems very hypocritical, both in that they are not being tolerant of the freedom to express the atheist view point and that they where doing the same thing but with much more aggressive wording.

You stated you don't have a problem with it, which is what I would have expected from someone tolerant of other peoples views.

For the record I'm an atheist and I'm sure it's come across in the way I talk about it, and I tend to treat peoples religious view points as I would treat their political ones.

Edit: About the atheism says religion has no point comment, I'm not sure where you got that from. Atheism says there is no evidence of one or more supreme beings so why believe in fairies and santa. There is plenty of points to reglion though, it's a wonderful way to make money, to control people and in some cases to console people too.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 04:17:28 am by Shades »

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: October 11, 2010, 04:12:28 am »

There's nothing wrong with Satanism, aside from the ridiculous fiction about it.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: October 11, 2010, 04:14:01 am »

Oh. I'll admit I don't know anything about it. I just assumed that since Satan is supposed to be the Evil then Satanism would be about doing evil. What's it really about?
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 370