Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391815 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #4935 on: October 10, 2010, 11:08:32 am »

Nah the main problem with a good religious debate is many people hold tightly to their beleifs and won't accept things that make more sense to change them. Personily, I like a good debate, they tend to point out things I haven't noticed before, and I change my personal beleifs accordingly to something that makes more sense due to this new information. Though I also enjoy pointing out when people get something wrong when trying to make their case, even people on 'my' side.

Well, the problem with any religious debate is that you're debating on a lot of things with no evidence at all. The best you can do is explain the methodology you use in believing what is right. "Making more sense" is really difficult, because you can have two different methodologies that are either right or wrong, and you won't know whether or not they're right or wrong. You could have a weak methodology, though, like basing everything completely on only one piece of literature or a single questionable scientific theory.

A bad debate is when someone doesn't make any sense. Like my favorite nonsense argument from this thread is that God either exists or he doesn't. Thus there is a 50% chance of god existing. 50% would be rounded to 1, meaning that by default God does exist. And whoever decided that since God doesn't exist in the universe, finding a derivative of the universe would make God a constant  ::)
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: October 10, 2010, 12:02:16 pm »

A bad debate is when someone doesn't make any sense. Like my favorite nonsense argument from this thread is that God either exists or he doesn't. Thus there is a 50% chance of god existing. 50% would be rounded to 1, meaning that by default God does exist.
I don't think anyone has ever made this argument.  Partly because it seems to reach a pro-agnostic position then has an atheist conclusion?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: October 10, 2010, 12:13:38 pm »

Considering there are 1000's of catholic religions, not to mention millions of religions in all, that just means that 99.9% of religious people are wrong.  :P

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: October 10, 2010, 12:19:16 pm »

I don't think that is precisely true, three of the biggest religions in the world right now are all at the core the same, they only interpret it different.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: October 10, 2010, 12:25:07 pm »

Considering there are 1000's of catholic religions, not to mention millions of religions in all, that just means that 99.9% of religious people are wrong.  :P
surely you mean christian derived religions? AFAIK there are only a few catholic splinters.
Thousands and millions are overstatements either way.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: October 10, 2010, 12:29:41 pm »

I don't think that is precisely true, three of the biggest religions in the world right now are all at the core the same, they only interpret it different.
So, what each religion is saying is that God created conflict, hate, segregation and anger.  What other excuse is there for leaving so much to interpretation and opinion?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: October 10, 2010, 12:32:39 pm »

*playing devils advocate* Becouse god gave will so that man might choose for themselves instead of haveing things chosen for them, if that means we interpret it's will wrong, so be it, we are free.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: October 10, 2010, 12:35:38 pm »

*playing devils advocate* Becouse god gave will so that man might choose for themselves instead of haveing things chosen for them, if that means we interpret it's will wrong, so be it, we are free.
He's omniscient.  He'd already know exactly what we'd do with our "free will".

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: October 10, 2010, 12:37:39 pm »

That quite honestly depends on the religion and sect of religion you listen too. Not all religions or sects of religions say their god/gods are omnicient, even among the 'big three' who share almost everything but violently disagree about some things.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: October 10, 2010, 12:40:31 pm »

In which case, you're starting to go against what your own religion says, and make up things to make it make more sense.

I mean, if God isn't omniscient, what's the use of prayer?  How can he judge you properly?

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: October 10, 2010, 12:47:26 pm »

There is a differance between all seeing so he knows about your prayer, and all knowing so he knows everything that will ever happen and has ever happend. Most sects agree he is all seeing, it's the all knowing that some say and some never mention.
Also, and I know someone will yell at me about this, going against your own religion in a hypocritical way happens all the freaking time. IE 'Lets kill all the musliems in the holy lands!' 'But the bible says not to kill' 'Who cares? They are heathens! CRUSADE!'
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: October 10, 2010, 12:51:50 pm »

There is a differance between all seeing so he knows about your prayer, and all knowing so he knows everything that will ever happen and has ever happend.
Yeah, and such a being is not all powerful.  You're essentially placing your faith on a being that cannot know what you intended, but can only see what you do... Thus, blowing oneself up can only be seen.

It gets back into the debate then on if God can see the future, because any creature that can see the future will "know" what happens and be all "knowing" at that point.  You may as well say that God is a security guard.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: October 10, 2010, 12:52:41 pm »

If he's just allseeing, then, why take advice from him?  I mean, it sortof makes sense if he's all knowledgable (like it says in the Old Testament), but if he can just see and not predict anything...

In any case, it doesn't take a genius to work out that leaving all these extremely vague texts around would create conflicts.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: October 10, 2010, 12:54:26 pm »

I mean, if God isn't omniscient, what's the use of prayer?
Here is a better question: if God is omniscient, what's the use of prayer?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: October 10, 2010, 12:55:39 pm »

Uh... fair enough.  I've never really heard an explanation for God where prayer actually makes sense.
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 370