Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 370

Author Topic: Atheists  (Read 391667 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Atheists
« Reply #4920 on: October 07, 2010, 08:51:34 pm »

Spam archers to not die. Spam knights and catapults/trebuchets to make the enemies die. Or at least that's how it went in SH:2. SH:C I found to be much more fun, especially with the fun stuff with walls on cliffs you could do in the map editor.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: October 07, 2010, 09:39:29 pm »

Fire ballistas.
Oh, dear sweet Zombie Jesus, I loved those things.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: October 07, 2010, 11:46:29 pm »

Are there any RTS games designed specifically around defending (possibly a custom one) or attacking a fort?  I mean, whenever I've walked around castles, I've always thought it'd be pretty fun.
The Stronghold series. Although if you mean are there GOOD rts games based on defending custom forts which can actually look cool, then not that I know of.

Stronghold 3 is coming out with a non-grid castle building. So your wish may just come true.

Truly, DF with a stronghold style gameplay would be awesome. But would require a UI and AI far beyond either game's abilities.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: October 08, 2010, 07:58:09 am »

cmon all it requires are wall-busting siege weapons and/or make a goblin unit able to construct floors to step over moats
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: October 08, 2010, 10:52:57 am »

And some way to avoid losing every single one of their soldiers to cage traps?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: October 08, 2010, 11:05:02 am »

Decrease trap efficiency?

Alternatively: We Have Reserves
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: October 09, 2010, 10:42:29 am »

I apologize in advance for posting something on-topic in this thread, but I wanted to share this post and this seemed the most appropriate place to do that. 

Should science journalists take sides? by Ed Yong.  Highly recommended reading.

After all, the word for people who are neutral about truth is ‘liars’.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: October 09, 2010, 11:40:10 am »

I apologize in advance for posting something on-topic in this thread, but I wanted to share this post and this seemed the most appropriate place to do that. 

I'm kind of impressed with how he goes from saying that objective truth in journalism is impossible to ending with a statement about truth that only makes sense in the context of objective truth in journalism (that you quoted above). Not that I don't agree with anything he says, I'm just saying that his argument seems to me to have a bit of dissonance.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

BigJake

• Bay Watcher
  • Know-it-all and bragart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: October 09, 2010, 12:13:02 pm »

I don't think he is saying objective truth in journalism is impossible.  Isn't that what he is implicitly asking for?  In a blogged reply linked at the bottom of the article, Sean Carroll expands on the kind of "objectivity" Yong is talking about.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: October 09, 2010, 05:30:49 pm »

I think the problem is confusion over two different definitions of 'Objective'.

1. The two sides of the argument are given equal weight. An objective point of view, with no judgement.

2. Arguments are equally assessed to determine which has the facts on it's side, discarding the non-factual argument. Objective analysis and judgement.

Journalism is the first kind of objective. It should be the second.
!!&!!

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: October 09, 2010, 05:58:59 pm »

What makes a good man go neutral?
Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: October 09, 2010, 06:15:57 pm »

That episode has some of my favorite lines of any TV show ever.

"If I don't make it through this, tell my wife 'hello'".

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: October 09, 2010, 06:53:12 pm »

"I don't know, but my gut says 'maybe'."
(paraphrased)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: October 10, 2010, 05:45:18 am »

What does that have to do with the thread topic? I'd like to see this thread go back on topic. A good religious debate can be quite insightful, but I guess people get frustrated because it's impossible to get a good religious debate if you have a single idiot in the group.

The article seems kinda common sense though.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: October 10, 2010, 05:48:57 am »

Nah the main problem with a good religious debate is many people hold tightly to their beleifs and won't accept things that make more sense to change them. Personily, I like a good debate, they tend to point out things I haven't noticed before, and I change my personal beleifs accordingly to something that makes more sense due to this new information. Though I also enjoy pointing out when people get something wrong when trying to make their case, even people on 'my' side.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 370