Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175710 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1005 on: November 24, 2009, 10:11:38 am »

Yay.
I just cleared Sokoban and was looting the zoo/eating corpses, when my elf just died.
One of the corpses I ate was rotten and I overlooked this particular message in the flood of messages.
Just great.

I need a break from Nethack.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: November 24, 2009, 06:59:02 pm »

Yay.
I just cleared Sokoban and was looting the zoo/eating corpses, when my elf just died.
One of the corpses I ate was rotten and I overlooked this particular message in the flood of messages.
Just great.

I did the same thing, but with a cockatrice corpse I KNEW about, yet I walked over it blinded anyways. No, I didn't have gloves, thanks for asking.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: November 24, 2009, 10:09:17 pm »

Don't worry, you will eventually harbor a paranoid fear for cockatrices that will rival any other fear you might have, and that paranoia will allow you to survive.

Remember, gloves have importance beyond AC, so even wear them if they don't give you any other bonus besides protection from cockatrices.

Also, be sure to only eat corpses that are fresh, as in those that you have JUST killed. Don't assume anything else is safe to eat.

bhaak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #1008 on: November 25, 2009, 04:06:00 am »

There's always Slash'Em, UnNetHack, SporkHack  (and Crawl, if you want a real break from NetHack).  ;D
NetHack-De: NetHack in German!

UnNetHack: The newest NetHack variant!

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: November 25, 2009, 06:47:29 am »

I have disoverd that if you bring your pet along they will massercare all the gnomes and dwarves in the gnomish mines. I died to a bugbear and a goblin.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: November 25, 2009, 12:56:38 pm »

There's always Slash'Em, UnNetHack, SporkHack  (and Crawl, if you want a real break from NetHack).  ;D

Good joke, but no.
I need some games where you can achieve something, that will last, without having to fear that a stupid mistake or a moment for unawareness makes you /headdesk.
I'll give it another try when I feel masochistic enough again. (which means pretty soon)

Hopefully I make it further than minetown for once.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: November 26, 2009, 03:12:16 am »

and there's no "Elf Room", in the game. You were just unlucky.
Throne room can have elvenking, then it would be populated by elves. :P At least, think it can.

Anyway, Nethack was updating ...right until I played it. It's been stuck at 3.4.3 since. :-/

1 valk ascended, 1 samurai almost-descended (rubber chicken incident)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: November 26, 2009, 03:39:19 am »

Generally, Throne rooms are like zoos, but with a much smaller selection of animals.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: November 26, 2009, 01:56:36 pm »

Nethack is usually one of the games I keep on my cycle of on and off playing along with DF and RPG's. I rarely get past Sokoban made me want to slam my head against a brick wall.

I was playing a Dwarven Valkyrie, I had descened through the mines easily and gotten my luck extremely high sacrificing at the altar (I was trying for Mjollnir, though I never got it for some reason). I made my way back up and down to Sokoban, and dipped for Excalibur along the way. Smoothest game I've ever played, my luck was excellent and I had a good weapon. I make it to Sokoban and notice my bags are overflowing with food. I hate wasting inventory space, borderline obessisive about eating food on time and hoarding stuff. I thought I might as well a spare ration and clean our my bag for loot.

I choke and die, first level of Sokoban.

how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: November 26, 2009, 02:09:24 pm »

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

I've recently started playing NetHack inspired mostly by the threads on this forum and as of yet I suck terribly at it. Needless to say I suffered the most aggravating stupid death in my life. Longer story short my best character sofar, a telepathic Human Barbarian, known for consuming raw tigers and being accompanied by his pet killer bee, was trying to clear the final level of Sokoban. The reason the his death was aggravating to me was that I was dedicated to be super careful with him in the dungeons, using the blindfold to scan the surroundings for monsters before mindlessly jumping into rooms and corridors. I was determined to get him as far as i could(being a hopeless optimist I imagined him being my first ascension)

The death could have easily been avoided if I had kept the same habit of paranoid fear during my second visit at Sokoban. Or more harshly, if i have half a thought about what I was doing :P.

Anyway shortly before his death my Barbarian was walking around naked and blindfolded trying to push some boulders into position. I was calm seeing that his telepathy detected on hostile creatures other than a friendly unicorn. Concentrating on how to move the last 4 boulders I stumbled upon a question mark. And it hit my Barbarian! Furious about the arrival of an invisible foe i tried to run back to my stash that was just a few steps away to rightfully smite the assailant with my +3 Axe and -4 AC armor set. Then, even more furious and shocked I found out that the question mark had me pinned down! All my Barbarian could do was bash at the aggresor with his bare hands and well... that fail. Furious with rage about the unfairness of the game I look at my characters tombstone:

"Obelix the lvl 9 Barabrian. Killed by a Rope Golem."

I stare at the sign for about a minute... Well yeah, maybe that makes sense.

The death could be so easily avoided... and thats what makes it extra-painful :(
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 02:12:53 pm by Toady Two »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: November 26, 2009, 06:38:28 pm »

Yeah, there are a number of mindless enemies that telepathy can't pick up. Golems are the most common, but it could have just as easily been a jelly, a zombie, or a mummy.

Also, Sokoban is special in that almost any non-mimic monster can spawn anywhere, anytime. It's best to just walk around fully equipped and handle them as they spawn. Also, while giant mimics can be found in sokoban among the boulders, they are easily dispatched if you make use of a hard gem to engrave Elbereth several times right next to them before attacking. Great thing about giant mimics are: while strong, they will ONLY attack in retaliation, so feel free to stand right next to one and prepare.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: November 26, 2009, 09:22:17 pm »

Nethack is usually one of the games I keep on my cycle of on and off playing along with DF and RPG's. I rarely get past Sokoban made me want to slam my head against a brick wall.

I was playing a Dwarven Valkyrie, I had descened through the mines easily and gotten my luck extremely high sacrificing at the altar (I was trying for Mjollnir, though I never got it for some reason). I made my way back up and down to Sokoban, and dipped for Excalibur along the way. Smoothest game I've ever played, my luck was excellent and I had a good weapon. I make it to Sokoban and notice my bags are overflowing with food. I hate wasting inventory space, borderline obessisive about eating food on time and hoarding stuff. I thought I might as well a spare ration and clean our my bag for loot.

I choke and die, first level of Sokoban.

You need to pay more attention to the status bar and messages. ;)

Also when you are away from a level, everything is frozen -- so feel free to place excess loot on the downstairs, they'll be right there when you come back up. Food is an exception, which will rot instantly when you re-enter the level, if enough time has passed.

If you can find a container, items inside would be safe except against a gelatinous cube. Or you can hide items under a boulder, which is also safe except when you have giants on the level. Adding a permanent E-word on the square will make both a perfectly safe stash.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: November 27, 2009, 12:16:51 am »

Can I level up while polymorphed?
It's awfully tempting because I have a ring of polymorph and a ring of polymorph control.
I also can't think of an original humanoid other than "vampire lord" to polymorph into.

need to keep my cape and leather armour intact.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: November 27, 2009, 12:49:21 am »

There are two other noteworthy humanoid polymorphs. Master Mind Flayers, and Aleax's.

MMF's are a favorite for having the racial ability of automatically attempting to mind flay like five times every time you attack something. This is fatal to almost all intelligent creatures with a brain. However, this can backfire catastrophically if you accidentally attack a cockatrice, chickatrice, ochre jelly, or blue jelly (with no ice resistance).

Aleax's are statistically weaker that both MMF's and VL's, but they have the special attribute of having a race only attack (kicking) which won't accidentally stone you should you use it on a cockatrice, though I'm assuming you're wearing shoes all the time.

Also, Aleax's have the other special attribute of being able to twoweapon, which MMF's and VL's can't do.

Also, to answer your question, you can't level up while poly'd, but you're poly'd form WILL level up. For example, if you poly into a Black Dragon at level 10, and you kill enough things to advance to level 11, your DRAGON form advances to level 11 while your human form stays at level 10. It's been a while since I played though, so I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure on this.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: November 27, 2009, 01:25:08 am »

Unfortunate that I don't have an amulet of unchanging then.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 128