Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175712 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #975 on: September 12, 2009, 04:34:40 pm »

smint

after having about 30 odd charcters so far i found two interesting new things in net hack today

1: theres a scrole that causes you to be cursed by the gods with an iron ball and chain (no idea how to get it off)

2: Level 12 is one big room full of elves (elves underground?)

unfortuantly i was killed by a very acidid blob after slaughtering some of the elves
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: September 12, 2009, 04:39:39 pm »

Number one is the scroll of punishment. Actually a rather interesting item, that has debatable uses, and isn't too hard to remove via praying with decent luck and ali, or a few other more tricky methods.

Number two is just the RNG.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: September 12, 2009, 04:42:38 pm »

What you're thinking of is the scroll of punishment. It causes an iron ball to be chained to your leg. It can be removed by a number of ways.

Dropping everything, picking up the ball, and letting a fairy steal it. Letting a rock mole it eat (this can happen by accident, as they go straight for those balls). Polymorphing into a metallivore and eating it, or polying into a blob, where it'll just slip off your leg. Praying will also get rid of it IIRC.

There's probably more, but that's all I can get off the top of my head. Those balls are freakin' heavy, so you can use them as something of a projectile. Be sure not to throw them into water or lava though, because they'll pull you in! Walking down stairs with a ball dragging behind you will make the ball hit you in the back, dealing a small amount of damage. Having a ball and chain attached to you doesn't have any negative effects besides that though, besides having the inability to run, which doesn't matter alot anyway.

Remember, read-testing scrolls is a BAD idea!

and there's no "Elf Room", in the game. You were just unlucky.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: September 12, 2009, 05:16:14 pm »

there was still a level that was just one huge room, usually levels are divided in to separate rooms with corridors

how else do you find out what scroles do, you could use an identify scrole but unless you find a shop and do a price comparison you cant work out which one it is. Also usually there arnt loads of identify scroles kicking around and ive got some armour, a pile of potions and some jewelry to classify aswell. Usually i spend the limited few id scroles i get on rings/amulets, then armour, and then scroles and potions last. in practise this means most scroles and potions are a trial and error afair
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: September 12, 2009, 05:53:04 pm »

Oh, you ran into a big room. Those have monsters of all kinds. It's best to use a fast method of Perma-Elberething on the stair (like with a fire wand) or use a scroll of earth with a wand of striking to create an impromptu monster siphon. Doesn't work on giants however.

Also, scrolls of identify are probably the easiest to ID, since they're the cheapest scrolls (20 gp IIRC), and they're a tad more plentiful than other scrolls. Also, the other pro's might disagree with me, but I think you have your priorities wrong. ID scrolls first, then rings, then amulets, then wands, then spellbooks*, then potions, then any odd helmet you find, and then on your weapon if you're not sure of it's enchantment. Things like boots, gloves, bags, and armor can be tested very easily through other methods, and aren't worth wasting a scroll on. Scrolls are very important, and ID'ing the important ones will make your life MUCH MUCH easier in the long run. Rings are also important, which is why they're second, Ammy's are third, if only because finding life saving, ESP, or reflection is incredibly helpful, although it's important to curse test FIRST, to see if they're cursed, because if they are, then they are most likely to be strangulation or change, so just Call them something memorable and throw them away somewhere. The other things are also important, but can be ID'd through other methods as well. Don't ID spellbooks if you have no intention of learning a spell, or if you have plenty of holy water and can bless and learn easy.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: September 12, 2009, 05:59:05 pm »

personally I never take chanced with the sinks or fountains in nethack, it usually leads to my undoing. However I do readcheck scrolls, the worst I had so far was punishment.
Hello Hunam

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: September 12, 2009, 06:06:10 pm »

It will be your undoing! OOPS! Destroy armor! My Dragon scale mail is gone! OOPS! Fire! My gloves, cloak, and boots are burnt! OOPS! Create monster! I'm surrounded! OOPS! Genocide! I didn't get a chance to bless it, and they're so rare! OOPS! Teleportation. Now I'm in a place I don't want to be! OOPS! Amnesia! All those things I've ID'd are now forgotten...

It's a bad idea. Trust me on this one.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: September 12, 2009, 06:08:22 pm »

Agh, I hate amnesia.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: September 12, 2009, 06:15:29 pm »

It will be your undoing! OOPS! Destroy armor! My Dragon scale mail is gone! OOPS! Fire! My gloves, cloak, and boots are burnt! OOPS! Create monster! I'm surrounded! OOPS! Genocide! I didn't get a chance to bless it, and they're so rare! OOPS! Teleportation. Now I'm in a place I don't want to be! OOPS! Amnesia! All those things I've ID'd are now forgotten...

Well I've never heard of a way to ID it some other way(or to get out of closed dungeon levels that seem to have no down stairs). Please enlighten me
Hello Hunam

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: September 12, 2009, 06:28:30 pm »

Read ID'ing isn't too bad if you take precautions. Drop everything, and read on scroll at a time, on a separate square from your gear. That's pretty much the best way, though price ID'ing is good too to identify identify.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: September 12, 2009, 06:32:04 pm »

Well I've never heard of a way to ID it some other way(or to get out of closed dungeon levels that seem to have no down stairs). Please enlighten me

There's a couple ways, actually. Besides the scroll of Identification or the spell, of course.

If you encounter a closet (a one tile room attached to a bigger room), you might not know that there's a scroll of teleportation hidden in each one. Drink a potion of object detection, and you're guaranteed to find a scroll of Teleporation. So just name it, and you're done.

On the first floor of Sokoban, there's a guaranteed 2 scrolls of earth. Pick'em up and name'em.

The prices between the scrolls vary wildly, and you can use this to price ID some of the scrolls.

Scare monster scrolls will go down in BUC status each time you pick it up, disintegrating when you pick up a cursed one. Then you can call them Scare monster.

Some roles start with scrolls. Tourists start with magic mapping, and wizards start with 2 random scrolls.

Wizards can write random scrolls with a magic marker more easily than any other class. If you have spare charges on a marker, then you can take advantage of this.

I'll always be of the opinion that you shouldn't read ID unless very desperate.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: September 14, 2009, 10:19:49 am »

anyone ever encountered this?

i seem to be making alot of new discoveries on nethack latley (so much detail in this game) i walked on a teleportation trap that droped me in to a small room ful of $gold. I picked up these golds and then a guard came in stold me to drop all my gold and follow him. i droped my gold, waited until he left the room and then picked it up again, he returned threw a potion at me then stabbed me to death.

if forgot one of the golden rules of nethack, dont mess with non hostile npcs

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: September 14, 2009, 10:25:01 am »

What you found there was a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: September 14, 2009, 10:30:23 am »

I found a visual history of Nethack. Supposedly UnNethack is stronger, better, faster than the original. It was updated more recently and I guess is basic Nethack with updates, newer patches, etc.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: September 14, 2009, 10:33:59 am »

if forgot one of the golden rules of nethack, dont mess with non hostile npcs

Except when you have a nice pet. Then you kill all except co-aligned priests and Izchak.

Oh and there's also Sporkhack, which is a lot more difficult because you no longer have absolute solutions to problems. It's made for serial-ascenders of NH.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 128