Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175779 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #855 on: July 27, 2009, 12:26:20 am »

For some BIZARRE reason, how well Nethack performs is directly dependant on what page is behind it. Most pages on Wikihack, for example, are so atrocious that having one open behind the Nethack window will cause the game to lag.

Most other pages won't do this, but you should experiment.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: July 27, 2009, 09:25:02 am »

I just had one of the craziest games ever. I chose to play a wizard, at around dungeon level 3 I've acquired some pretty good stuff and lots of food. Suddenly, I trigger a magic trap, it blinds me and a few jackals and some other monster attempt to kill me, I easily force bolt them all to death, getting me to level 5. I go down to dungeon level 5 and there I level up once again, I go down another level. Here I walk down a long (about 15 tile) corridor, and discover an army of 12 Mordor waiting for me at the exit. I force bolted those to death too. Next I enter a room, there are about 15 Uruk Hai. I quickly leave while my cat soaks up their hits and dies. While trying to around the Uruk Hai room three ants run up to me and kill me. Its like the game wanted me to loose!

Edit: Another thing, I heard the word finagle today and didn't know what it was, but I thought it would make a nice name for my cat. I named him Finagle and then looked the word up (It means swindle). Finagle then ran towards a shop, and came back with an orange potion (The one the shop keeper had in stock).

I love Nethack!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 09:44:13 am by ILikePie »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: July 27, 2009, 10:56:51 am »

Its like the game wanted me to loose!

DUH!

But yeah, Ants = Elbereth or Immediate escape if you can't handle them. One time I was literally trapped in the corner of a small room as more and more monsters spawned around me. I had to use Elbereth like a million times, and use pickaxe to dig this crazy long alternate path to the exit to finally escape.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: July 27, 2009, 12:03:10 pm »

Let me continue on my adventure!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: July 27, 2009, 12:29:35 pm »

None of the statues have any goodies.   :(

Bad luck, ey?

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: July 27, 2009, 12:39:24 pm »

Statues can hold goodies? Awesome. So can you #loot them or something?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: July 27, 2009, 12:40:43 pm »

ToonyMan: "Ha!  I lonely lepracon!  Let me kill this guy I can't spell!"

*ToonyMan pulls out bow and proceeds to fire upon the "lepracon".

Lepracon: "Ha!  You can't kill me with sissy elf weapons!"

*"Lepracon" reads "READ ME!" scroll.

ToonyMan: ".......RUN AWAYYYYSSS!!!!!"

Anybody think I can get to the down stairs in time?

Statues can hold goodies? Awesome. So can you #loot them or something?

They'll fall on the ground or something.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: July 27, 2009, 03:36:06 pm »

Anybody think I can get to the down stairs in time?
I do. That looks pretty easy.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: July 27, 2009, 04:07:17 pm »

Elbereth in the hallway, or drop a scroll of scare monster.
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: July 27, 2009, 04:32:45 pm »

go to the hallway, and close and lock the door behind you.

I finally figured out how wizard mode works by the way, and I tried ascending real quick by ctrl + W to wish up an ascension kit and the amulet of yendor, and I go up. I then wish up 30-something scrolls of genocide, and start geno'ing everything in sight just for fun. Then I run into 1 Archon, who promptly summons MORE archons and other monsters I can't Geno, and now I'm surrounded as the entire screen is filled with angelic beings, titans, golems, and elementals. I am SLOWLY making my way to the portal, but it's a long slow painful process. Confused scrolls of taming (which attempt to tame every monster in an 11x11 area around you) have helped speed this up.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: July 27, 2009, 04:35:48 pm »

Yeah, I say cheating is only fun in NetHack......sometimes.  Only after you get the rank of Sir.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: July 27, 2009, 04:55:48 pm »

I'm just messing around. I don't expect this to amount to anything, I'll get back on my legit Samurai in a bit...

Trying to extinct Archons is fun though.

Candlejack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: July 27, 2009, 06:49:40 pm »

Won't genociding everything make it so only horrible monsters that you can't genocide spawn?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: July 27, 2009, 06:56:43 pm »

Yep, I was fighting pretty much nothing but Angels, Titans, golems, and elementals the entire way.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: July 28, 2009, 03:20:11 pm »

Anyway, back to Samurai, I got to Mine's end, got the luckstone, finally got a hard gem, and I found a touchstone and a magic marker as well.

Then I did Sokoban, and having memorized how to do all the puzzles, I'm finding it takes less and less time to do. I was REALLY disappointed to find that the final puzzle was the one for the amulet of reflection, which I already have... I might still go do the puzzle, if only for all the money that's in the zoo.

I have not found a SINGLE bag yet! I want something to dump all my damn scrolls and stuff into! I've already lost some scrolls of teleportation and a scroll of earth to a freak pyrolisk attack, and I'm worried about losing anything else.

But I'm disheartened by a recent stupid action lately. I got persuaded by a goddamn succubus to take off my helmet, and when the encounter was over, I accidentally put on an un'ID'd plumed helmet which I was going to dump into my stash for future ID'ing, and it turned out that it was a helm of opposite alignment, which auto-cursed and removed the two points of divine protection I had.

Damnit, good money wasted! Damn Succubi! Now I have to scrounge up more.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 128