Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 176308 times)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #330 on: May 25, 2009, 01:30:59 am »

That's intensely lame, I wanted to throw ninja stars at monsters all day!

How am I supposed to get expert in something that's so rare AND can break?

Enchant them first, then you can. Ninja star is a rare weapon, few players choose to get trained in it.

Your chance to hit is actually highly influenced by your character level... skills become meaningless later on. Ranged skills still mandate how many projectiles you can let loose in a single turn though.

I know that enchanting'em will decrease the likelyhood of them breaking, but it just seems not worth it to collect that many enchant weapon scrolls and a potion of holy water just to use on a pile of rare throwing stars that you're unskilled in, and will probably break anyway. Resources like that could be better spent elsewhere. It seems more like a novelty item than an actual strategy is what I'm trying to say, sort of like slings, which CAN be used, but is not worth the effort because carrying around any sizeable amount of ammunition puts a gigantic damper on your carrying capacity, and normal rocks are pathetic in damage AND flint stones are hard to find (I've never found any in a normal game) so unless you start with some, it's just a waste of time it seems.

Atleast, that's how I see it.

Agreed about throwing stars... but there are other niche weapon types that are actually useful, like a lance or grappling hook.
Or the boomerang. Sort of.

Anyway, yeah. That's incredibly lame that all the badass weapons are fragile and rare. Someone should make a Nethack mod called Funhack that addresses all the bullshit that the Nethack dev team is too comatose to fix.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 25, 2009, 08:24:01 am »

Like water making armor and weapons rust.  Corrosion's okay to me, but water doesn't even really make things rust anyway.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 25, 2009, 10:09:05 am »

Like water making armor and weapons rust.  Corrosion's okay to me, but water doesn't even really make things rust anyway.
YES! Exactly what I was thinking, water is like acid to metal in nethack.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 25, 2009, 10:17:08 am »

Underground water... mineral water... is slightly acidic... :P

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 25, 2009, 10:21:48 am »

Have you ever stuck a peice of metal in some water? How many times have you seen it rust away 3 seconds later?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 25, 2009, 10:28:31 am »

Have you ever stuck a peice of metal in some water? How many times have you seen it rust away 3 seconds later?
Oh come on... it's mineral water, which is slightly acidic! And the rust monsters have been peeing in water sources in the Dungeons of Doom!

... and now you know why drinking from fountains is so bad. -_-

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 25, 2009, 10:48:18 am »

Oh come on... it's mineral water, which is slightly acidic! And the rust monsters have been peeing in water sources in the Dungeons of Doom!

... and now you know why drinking from fountains is so bad. -_-
The Water Mocasins are corroding my armour?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 25, 2009, 04:44:56 pm »

I've tried like four priests today, and I've learned a valuable lesson.

I got a blessed magic lamp, on like, the 3rd DL, and was pretty happy when I wished for a Blessed greased fixed staff of aesculapius. Then I mourned when I turned around and ran straight into a freakin' floating eye.

Lesson: If you know a floating eye is around, be VERY CAREFUL of how quickly you tap the directional buttons.

Very angered, I started another priest, this time named Rags, and I'm doing pretty good so far, found a spellbook of force bolt underneath one of the oracle's status (Spellbooks sometimes generate underneath those statues for the uninformed) and now my priest's relative weakness is offset by force bolts to the enemy's faces. I've inadvertantly used up all my holy water to bless the various spellbooks I've come across though, and I need some more. Too bad the potions you find can't be emptied out and the bottles can't be reused. It'd be cool to be able to refill empty bottles at fountains, then bless them at an Altar.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 25, 2009, 04:48:37 pm »

Why don't you just dunk the potions in fountains? It turns it into water.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 25, 2009, 04:51:16 pm »

Heh, I never thought of that.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 25, 2009, 05:43:59 pm »

Beware, you also get fountain effects.  It's safer to (#d)ip the potions in a pool.  Harder to set up, though.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 25, 2009, 05:48:13 pm »

Will hitting a fountain with a pickaxe make pools?

Because seriously; anyone without a pickaxe in Nethack is dead anyway, because of all those bullshit secret doors and walls that seem to take up about half of the surface of most levels.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 25, 2009, 06:02:27 pm »

Because seriously; anyone without a pickaxe in Nethack is dead anyway, because of all those bullshit secret doors and walls that seem to take up about half of the surface of most levels.
Or you can just learn to press the "s" key on your keyboard... ::)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 25, 2009, 06:19:39 pm »

Usually but not always.  The good thing about doing that is that fountain effects do not happen.

(s)earch, =searching, elf, Excalibur, (stethescope, kicking, spells, /secret door detection, what else?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 25, 2009, 06:50:23 pm »

It takes too long. :<

No, seriously. I've had nightmares about being stranded on one of Nethack's bullshit secret door levels playing as a barbarian. Frustrating nightmares with crappy gameplay.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 128