Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175313 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1635 on: October 01, 2011, 11:16:31 am »

Love Nethack, but the clunky system started bothering me so much that I decided to start playing Slash'em.
So far, it's working pretty well. I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't like the clunky Nethack commands.

Plus it has added stuff. That's always a win in my book.

Hrmmm, what's so clunky about it? I've never had an issue with it. 
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: October 01, 2011, 01:01:42 pm »

I think I just encountered my first quest. My barbarian got a telepathic message, shortly after which I was teleported away. I was killed almost immediately, despite my +3 gray dragon scale mail, and -5 AC.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: October 01, 2011, 01:15:47 pm »

I'll have to give this a try. It's free I assume?
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: October 01, 2011, 01:19:47 pm »

I'll have to give this a try. It's free I assume?
Yep, entirely free. If you haven't found the site yet, just do a Google search for it, or similar.

I just found a spellbook of Finger of Death. As a level 1 or 2 barbarian. It was coated in poison, which paralyzed me until a fire ant killed me. Wat.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 02:08:26 pm by Lectorog »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: October 01, 2011, 01:32:13 pm »

Obviously that's why it's called Finger of Death. You touch it with your finger, you die.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: October 01, 2011, 03:20:37 pm »

-snip-
You have three options really. First, to kill medusa you're going to need that silver scale mail.

The choices are to either head back up and search for items that can be useful, perhaps a shop you forgot about, dig down, or try the quest. I'd read up on the quest, since it seems easyish.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: October 01, 2011, 05:53:47 pm »

I just found a spellbook of Finger of Death. As a level 1 or 2 barbarian. It was coated in poison, which paralyzed me until a fire ant killed me. Wat.

FoD is a level 7 spell.  Don't even try until you reach level 15 or so and have decent Intelligence.  A barbarian is not going to have good Int.  As you found, a high level book can paralyze a low level character for thousands of turns.  Just sell it or stash it for later [spoiler]piling.

I'm looking at cursed_book() and at study_book() right now, and I don't actually see where the paralysis happens, so I can't tell you more about it.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: October 01, 2011, 06:48:32 pm »

FoD is a level 7 spell.  Don't even try until you reach level 15 or so and have decent Intelligence.  A barbarian is not going to have good Int.  As you found, a high level book can paralyze a low level character for thousands of turns.  Just sell it or stash it for later [spoiler]piling.

I'm looking at cursed_book() and at study_book() right now, and I don't actually see where the paralysis happens, so I can't tell you more about it.
I hadn't a clue what the book was; I was low-level, a point at which I read everything I find. I've not had anything like that happen before; it said it was coated in poison, or something like that. I know reading spellbooks can paralyze you; this was something new, and I haven't found anything about it. Found it. It's what happens when you fail at reading a difficulty level six spell book.

On another note, soldier with a wand of death. I got the farthest I have to date, by far - dungeon level 24, character level 11. I still can't beat that barbarian quest, though. Too much ogre, not enough level.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: October 01, 2011, 09:28:18 pm »

-snip-
You have three options really. First, to kill medusa you're going to need that silver scale mail.

The choices are to either head back up and search for items that can be useful, perhaps a shop you forgot about, dig down, or try the quest. I'd read up on the quest, since it seems easyish.

I recorded all shops found, and I've left no levels not-fully explored. I only got a huge potion shop (cleared out), a weapon shop (useless to me after I fetch all the daggers), and in Mine Town, a small food shop, a small tools and a small general shop, all cleared out.

Medusa I can fight with towel on and force bolting and poking her with Magicbane I guess. But while I've done the Wizard quest many times before, I'm sure the boss will simply destroy me when my AC is so high (6 IIRC).

Digging down is a no - too big a gamble. Not sure how many maze levels there will be, meeting a minotaur around a corner will kill me instantly.

I'll grind a little more... but not holding my breath. Probably will go with the wish and scroll writing.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: October 02, 2011, 11:56:43 am »

What class/allegiance/whatever do you guys (and gals?) suggest using for a first timer?
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: October 02, 2011, 12:25:42 pm »

What class/allegiance/whatever do you guys (and gals?) suggest using for a first timer?
Whatever you feel like, you're going to die anyways >:D

In all seriousness, though, Valkyries are pretty nice for new players, in my opinion. Nice melee skills, and easy to play...you can be a dwarf if you want to explore the Gnomish Mines with less aggro, or a human if you want to skip them. And...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: October 02, 2011, 12:34:48 pm »

Barbarian, probably, for your first few games.  They're immune to poison, so you'll be able to figure out what corpses you can and can't eat.  They're tough and burly, so they can survive a few hits.  They have a good weapon, so they can hand out the pain.

After a few runs, switch to Valkyrie.

Spoiler-free Nethack beginner's guide.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: October 02, 2011, 06:28:52 pm »

Love Nethack, but the clunky system started bothering me so much that I decided to start playing Slash'em.
So far, it's working pretty well. I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't like the clunky Nethack commands.

Plus it has added stuff. That's always a win in my book.

Hrmmm, what's so clunky about it? I've never had an issue with it.
Nothing. It's not clunky. I'm a total derp and I JUST now realized that Nethack has a graphical version with the same interface. I thought only Slash'em had that interface.

Derp.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: October 06, 2011, 02:52:22 pm »

Getting back into this game because I deleted it from my flash drive a month or so ago and just now realized I still had the zip. I started a healer for shits and giggles and to see how badly I die. So far I'm on dlvl 2 and just found an armor shop(!) with, among other things, a +1 shield of reflection(!!), and I'm trying my hand at the protection racket, so this might not be so bad. Still need a good weapon though for when I've gotten my protection.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 02:54:42 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: October 07, 2011, 03:54:18 am »

Find a tasty unicorn and its horn, and you'll have a good weapon and the ability to eat rotten flesh with impunity.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 128