Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175413 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1500 on: August 20, 2011, 08:06:07 pm »

The only time I altar scummed was with an archaeologist, and I didn't need to do that much of it because the first reward was Grayswandir.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: August 20, 2011, 09:54:47 pm »

Started playing Wizards recently...I've decided that the key to success is to:
-Start-scum for spell of ID (Magic Missile is alright too) and ring of Slow Digestion (less vital...but quite helpful in the next step).
-Spam "9999." at an altar, get Magicbane.

So much boring at the beginning...

These precautions are hardly necessary. Start-scumming is just something I've always viewed as a waste of time, since it IS possible to win under pretty much any circumstances given that you know what you're doing and have thorough knowledge of the game and monsters.

Also, getting magicbane rightoff isn't optimal. There's a limit to how many legendary items you're allowed to wish for, which is dependent on how many legendary items are in existence. By going out of your way to get Magicbane early, your denying yourself another legendary item later.

So, what I'm trying to say is, don't get discouraged if the game feels random, because there's alot more things in your control that you might believe. Feel free to present any questions to us if you don't know what to do.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: August 20, 2011, 11:13:51 pm »

Though as a wizard you won't be needing a lot of artifacts, and you can safely wish for one or two more artifacts with Magicbane created. The abilities of Magicbane are extremely useful for a young character.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: August 21, 2011, 07:08:23 am »

Well, that's good to hear.

What artifacts would I want to attempt to get other than Magicbane (as a Wizard)? It seems pretty awesome, saying it's a dagger and can one-turn engrave Elbereth. And has freaky magic stuff.

And how would I get said Artifacts? I've never found any Wishing wands, they seem to be pretty rare.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: August 21, 2011, 07:23:03 am »

Well, that's good to hear.

What artifacts would I want to attempt to get other than Magicbane (as a Wizard)? It seems pretty awesome, saying it's a dagger and can one-turn engrave Elbereth. And has freaky magic stuff.

And how would I get said Artifacts? I've never found any Wishing wands, they seem to be pretty rare.

For wish wand,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: August 21, 2011, 07:29:56 am »

In Minetown, there is always a lamp and candle shop generated. While it doesn't always have a magic lamp in stock, it does often enough that it's your most likely source for an early game wish, and only for a hundred or so gold at that! Even better, it's not hard to identify one.

EDIT: Also, ALWAYS ALWAYS remember to bless your Magic Lamp before rubbing it. This will significantly reduce the chance of an angry genie coming out and ruining your day.

DOUBLE EDIT COMBO: Also, an often overlooked source of wishes are smoky potions. While the utilities of potions is randomized with each playthrough, smoky potions always have a small but not insignificant random chance of producing a genie that will grant a wish when you try to drink it. Just like the lamp, always remember to bless them first, which increases the chance for a genie, as well as reducing the chance of an angry genie.

I have actually gotten a wish from Smoky potions before, by binging on some 20 or more of them in a row. Fortunately for me, they were potions of alcohol that I got from raiding the King's Wine Cellar, a randomly generated area at Mine's End.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 07:38:43 am by JoshuaFH »

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: August 21, 2011, 08:02:46 am »

This explains most of my deaths. Also, smokey potions have a chance for a djini to pop up when drinking them. Or is it golden potions?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: August 21, 2011, 08:13:59 am »

Smoky, as I stated.

Anyway, I never remember liking Excalibur all that much. It's a definite improvement over a longsword, but not by such a margin as to use up one of your artifact 'slots'. It's always the first two artifacts that are guaranteed when wishing, but only if no others are in existence. If you're not a wizard, then it pays to actually wish for magicbane as your first artifact, since it confers magic resistance, is excellently at engraving Elbereth, most classes are good with knives anyway, does magical things to creatures... but the ONE reason that magicbane is nearly essential is for it's one quality that no other artifact has, and that is it resists cursing.

This doesn't sound like much, but when Yendor is hounding you as you trek all the way from the bottom of Gehennom, he'll randomly curse your items, and this is BAD! It can easily cripple even the most prepared adventurer by stifling the benefits of having blessed items and equipment.

EDIT: If you ARE a wizard though, then it pays to wait until you can wish for two other artifacts to help you in your quest, as you can get the magicbane through sac'ing creatures to your god regardless of how many artifact 'slots' have been used up.

Also, keeping sac'ing and praying! You'll eventually get a book of finger of death as a gift from your god. A very useful spell against Rodney.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 08:17:09 am by JoshuaFH »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: August 21, 2011, 08:39:45 am »

Bones files. Gah. Multiple water demons on one level...as I'm running back to the upstairs, I find a bunch of messed up Elbereths. Poor person. Fortunately, I got both of them upstairs, spammed E for a few turns on the stair, and got back down. This was on DL:4, XP: 4.

(On NAO....)

EDIT:
And they had a pony and a dog. I died.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 08:42:32 am by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: August 21, 2011, 08:45:18 am »

I will concede that ponies are mean.

Really took me by surprise when I first fought one.

EDIT: Remember that most things respect Elbereth. Draw in the dust like your life depends on it if you have to. And when I say "like your life depends on it", what I really mean is "Your life depends on it".

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: August 21, 2011, 09:39:30 am »

Bones files. Gah. Multiple water demons on one level...as I'm running back to the upstairs, I find a bunch of messed up Elbereths. Poor person. Fortunately, I got both of them upstairs, spammed E for a few turns on the stair, and got back down. This was on DL:4, XP: 4.

(On NAO....)

EDIT:
And they had a pony and a dog. I died.

You don't have to fight wild pets if you don't want to.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: August 21, 2011, 09:48:54 am »

I REALLY want to play this game as other classes than Wizard.
But i dont like dogs dying due to some traumatic experiences, and i would really wish you could enter the dungeon without a pet.
I'd rather tame some random lizard in the dungeon than loosing my dog to traps or stupid shit like monsters.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: August 21, 2011, 10:04:22 am »

You can play as a knight and get a pony...

Although they are much harder to keep fed, and you can't ride them initially without fear of killing yourself.

Though I understand how hard it is to lose your pet to the relatively random cruelty inflicted on them.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: August 21, 2011, 10:22:07 am »

Better than then me. If that cat dies to a random falling stone/poison spike pit, I'll know where it is, and not die myself.

And if they are slaughtered by that ambush of Gnome Lords, well, it'll give me time to get away to the upstair. :P

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: August 21, 2011, 10:23:27 am »

How do you download this with the 3d isometric view and click interface? Can anyone provide a link?
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 128