Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175379 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1530 on: August 22, 2011, 04:12:19 am »

I use a spreadsheet to keep important information discovered, e.g.

1. Layout. Where is Mine entrance, Oracle, Big Room, Castle, Home portal, etc.
2. Notable features, e.g. fountains, sinks, thrones, vaults, poly trap, etc.
3. Shops.
4. Intrinsic gained.
5. Last prayed turn number.
6. Altars/temples and their alignment.
7. Locations of my stashes, whether they are on the ground, in a container, has a E-word or not.
8. Species genocided and wish used.
9. Long/short term goals, like going for a poly-pile or need to find reflection.

I probably sound like a loser, but I just physically remembered the location of each notable thing, my stats, and whatnot, although I know how you work Kc, that scroll of amnesia is always right around the corner.

Although I did use the \ button to remember what identified items were, since the random appearances makes a difference sometimes.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: August 22, 2011, 05:06:29 am »

I use a spreadsheet to keep important information discovered, e.g.

1. Layout. Where is Mine entrance, Oracle, Big Room, Castle, Home portal, etc.
2. Notable features, e.g. fountains, sinks, thrones, vaults, poly trap, etc.
3. Shops.
4. Intrinsic gained.
5. Last prayed turn number.
6. Altars/temples and their alignment.
7. Locations of my stashes, whether they are on the ground, in a container, has a E-word or not.
8. Species genocided and wish used.
9. Long/short term goals, like going for a poly-pile or need to find reflection.

I probably sound like a loser, but I just physically remembered the location of each notable thing, my stats, and whatnot, although I know how you work Kc, that scroll of amnesia is always right around the corner.

Although I did use the \ button to remember what identified items were, since the random appearances makes a difference sometimes.

I have tried using the naming function in-game to save information... but that quickly became way too troublesome to update.

Also I play two characters simultaneously - one on PC, one on smartphone, and I don't bother to sync the save files. Sometimes I might put a character on hiatus and start another class for fun or experiment. With a spreadsheet I can come back, look at the spreadsheet and inventory, and pick the game up where I left it.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: August 22, 2011, 05:10:56 am »

Also, I don't record item identification... I only use #name for that, since there is mind flayer and amnesia.

I have to make a new reply cause the board won't let me modify it. "You've already submitted this post", it said.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: August 22, 2011, 09:50:09 am »

I've died multiple times in the last couple days by smashing open a chest and having it be a fire trap.

The death reason? Not the actual trap. It has always been either the scrolls that are on fire and melting, or the boiling potions. Blah!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: August 22, 2011, 10:12:31 am »

You should always untrap chests first. Always. Several times.

And never try to smash them, and always remember that you can destroy even legendary artifacts if you try to jimmy the lock with them. Always use a key.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: August 22, 2011, 01:36:50 pm »

You should always untrap chests first. Always. Several times.

And never try to smash them, and always remember that you can destroy even legendary artifacts if you try to jimmy the lock with them. Always use a key.
...I thought that they were invincible, I always force'd locks with my artifacts. O.o

So should I ignore chests if I don't have a key, then? They have nice spellbooks and stuff, though!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: August 22, 2011, 03:32:02 pm »

If you can't get in at all just bash 'em.
Some lewt is better than no lewt.
*Hugs*

Kameleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: August 22, 2011, 04:49:16 pm »

I've played hundreds of games using artifacts to #force locks, and have never had one break.  There's a chance they can, but it is very very small.  Something like 1% of the rate of breakage on a normal weapon or lower.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: August 22, 2011, 05:25:07 pm »

I've played hundreds of games using artifacts to #force locks, and have never had one break.  There's a chance they can, but it is very very small.  Something like 1% of the rate of breakage on a normal weapon or lower.

Still, ANY chance is enough to make it worthwhile to carry around a lightweight dagger or something...losing an Artifact would suck.

Also, what should I bless? I missed the whole 'HOLY WATER IS AWESOME' until now...

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: August 22, 2011, 06:44:44 pm »

yeah, I think the artifact breaking rate is 1% of normal.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: August 22, 2011, 09:44:25 pm »

Also, what should I bless? I missed the whole 'HOLY WATER IS AWESOME' until now...

Pretty much everything... more blessed items in your inventory means you have more buffer to suck up curses thrown your way.

But if you have to choose:
0. A big stack of uncursed potions of water. Self-replicating holy water for the win!
1. Unicorn horn. Uncursed ones don't work frequently enough.
2. Worn items, especially those with bad effects when cursed, like a ring of teleport, polymorph, etc. Two-handed weapons are a priority too, since if cursed you won't have any free hand to use stuff, say, the bag containing your remove curse scrolls.
3. Bag of Holding. Blessed one is even lighter, while cursed ones have a chance to destroy items when you retrieve them.
4. Luckstone. Uncursed luckstone makes both good and bad luck not timeout.
5. Most scrolls work better when blessed. A few are better when cursed though.
6. Most potions also work better when blessed.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: August 23, 2011, 10:04:12 pm »

Oh man, reading all this posts reminds me of my own ascension a few years ago.

Until now, from the moment I got the amulet all the way to the eventual ascension was probably the single most hectic moment in my entire life. It was like 8 hours of constant, unnerving pressure where even the very slightest mistake would have ruined weeks of effort. It was so freaking intense, and this is no exaggeration. My heart stopped when my finger of death spellbook ran out. My heart stopped when I realize I didn't have enough wands of digging for the earth plane. My face turned white when I saw what was on the very final plane. The incredible pressure as you race from altar to altar, fighting a huge, massive, unending horde of death the whole way.

Good luck to all you guys, winning this is one of the crowning achievements of gaming.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: August 24, 2011, 12:55:46 am »

Oh man, reading all this posts reminds me of my own ascension a few years ago.

Until now, from the moment I got the amulet all the way to the eventual ascension was probably the single most hectic moment in my entire life. It was like 8 hours of constant, unnerving pressure where even the very slightest mistake would have ruined weeks of effort. It was so freaking intense, and this is no exaggeration. My heart stopped when my finger of death spellbook ran out. My heart stopped when I realize I didn't have enough wands of digging for the earth plane. My face turned white when I saw what was on the very final plane. The incredible pressure as you race from altar to altar, fighting a huge, massive, unending horde of death the whole way.

Good luck to all you guys, winning this is one of the crowning achievements of gaming.

I know right? I want to put beating Nethack on my resume, but I keep getting told it's 'not professional'.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: August 24, 2011, 09:03:02 pm »

I like to 'd'rop all my gold, #chat to the priest to get "two bits for an ale" or something, pick up (,) all my gold, #chat to the priest again, offer him all but the two bits for an ale, take out a potion of booze, drop it on the ground in front of the altar, and #offer the Amulet. At least he gets his ale...

Also, I said I use Wizard Mode, so I can pretty much get what I want, when I want it, how I want it. So I can wish for 50k pieces of gold, 'd'rop it all, ask for the two gold he gives, pick up my 50k gold, offer the 50k to him, 'ctrl-w'ish for a potion of booze, drop it for him, and offer the Amulet. And I ascend penniless.

And, if you ever do, DO NOT EVER AGAIN ZAP DEATH WITH A WAND OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You only make Him stronger (and angrier).

Once you face Him, hope you have plenty of Potions of Full Healing. Not to use when you get gravely wounded, that's what your Blessed Tins of Nurse Meat are for. No, hurl those damn potions at Pestilence. They should hurt Him pretty badly. Pick up His potions of sickness after He dies before He respawns. He WILL drink them to heal.

Make sure you have lots of light food like BLESSED tins of spinach and K-Rations when facing Famine. His attacks will kill you a slow, hungry, painful death...

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: August 25, 2011, 02:46:31 pm »

Goddamn Nethack.

Had a promising archaeologist going, level 9 with seven points of protection.  Finished Sokoban, got the amulet, jumping boots and a blessed spellbook of healing.  Headed down for the luckstone at Mine's End with AC:-9 and a blessed Sting I got from a bones pile, when I descend a staircase to a troll with a wand of create monster.  It zaps about seven times while I'm running away calling all sorts of horrible things, then, I hit a teleport trap.  A nymph is there to steal just about everything from me and leave me helpless.  "The Rock Troll swings a prolonged polearm.  It hits!  It hits!  You die..."
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 128