Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175523 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1275 on: August 19, 2010, 09:32:19 pm »

Also, and this is just me running on raw assumption here, but I take it you're wearing gloves?

I just don't feel safe without them. Also, pick up every cockatrice corpse you come across, there are certain enemies, like soldiers, that can pick them up and hit YOU with them.

But yeah, keep a Wand of Fire with you at all times. Magicbane is good for everyday engraving for Elbereth's, but you can't spend time worrying whether every single one of your twenty or so E's are remaining legible while you slowly whittle demogorgon's health down. Remember, he only needs to hit you ONCE to send you spiraling into terrible death by poison and confusion.

And, let's see, it's been so long since I last played the game. I'm trying to remember all the little ways the game can screw you.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: August 19, 2010, 09:36:49 pm »

Oh goddammit, I got engulfed by a fire vortex and thought it was a good idea to cast Cone of Cold. Next thing I know both of my full healing potions are broken.

Pah.

Anyway:
Also, and this is just me running on raw assumption here, but I take it you're wearing gloves?
Yep, +5 blessed fireproof gauntlets of dexterity.

I just don't feel safe without them. Also, pick up every cockatrice corpse you come across, there are certain enemies, like soldiers, that can pick them up and hit YOU with them.
Okay.

But yeah, keep a Wand of Fire with you at all times. Magicbane is good for everyday engraving for Elbereth's, but you can't spend time worrying whether every single one of your twenty or so E's are remaining legible while you slowly whittle demogorgon's health down. Remember, he only needs to hit you ONCE to send you spiraling into terrible death by poison and confusion.
Okay.

And, let's see, it's been so long since I last played the game. I'm trying to remember all the little ways the game can screw you.
The Instadeath page is a good place to start.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: August 19, 2010, 09:49:46 pm »

Alrighty then, be sure to beguile us with tales of your glorious victory then.

And don't worry about the potions, IIRC, they're actually pretty common the further you go down in Gehennom. Remember, fire is the cure for sliming, jubilex is easily defeated with a wand of digging, and certain randomly generated named characters in the astral plane have a chance to be equipped with the vorpal blade or the tsurugi of muramasa, which can both deal instant death to you.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: August 19, 2010, 09:52:59 pm »

That's passable AC for everyday fighting, but the High Priest of Moloch will cream your ass if you don't have an ace up your sleeve. I personally only feel comfortable at -40 AC, or something close to it. Also, you didn't mention anything about reflection, which is a practical necessity for surviving the holy lightning that killing the priest entails.
Are you kidding? I killed the preist with aprox. -25 AC and only a few scrapes. Like most of the bosses at that point he should be cake.

As for demogorgon, what's he like? Sounds like he would make a much better final boss then that stupid priest.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: August 19, 2010, 10:11:22 pm »

That's passable AC for everyday fighting, but the High Priest of Moloch will cream your ass if you don't have an ace up your sleeve. I personally only feel comfortable at -40 AC, or something close to it. Also, you didn't mention anything about reflection, which is a practical necessity for surviving the holy lightning that killing the priest entails.
Are you kidding? I killed the preist with aprox. -25 AC and only a few scrapes. Like most of the bosses at that point he should be cake.

As for demogorgon, what's he like? Sounds like he would make a much better final boss then that stupid priest.

The high priest is a badass. I remember taking him on with roughly -27 AC, and he just repeatedly kicked my ass. I must have burned through like 3 potions of full healing and 2 amulets of life saving just killing that bastard. Then again, that was my legendary failure at a samurai ascension, which I'll never forget, if only because of all the bullshit bad luck, horrifically painful climb to the astral plane, and then dying mere feet away from the high altar.

Demogorgon is one of the demon royalty. You can only fight him if one of the critters with the "summon monsters" spell summons him by accident. Other royal demons have also have a miserably chance at summoning him as well, even if they don't use the spell.

Basically, demogorgon can attack you roughly four or five times for every time you can attack him. For every time he attack you, he stuns you, and then inflicts a 'disease' status on you that'll kill you instantly in a few turns, and each subsequent disease attack lowers the timer even faster. Because he stuns you, if you use a turn un-stunning yourself, he gets another turn to attack, and thus stuns you again. You can't Elbereth while stunned, and performing alot of actions is hindered severely. If you can lay down an perma-E though before he can attack though, then you've basically already won as he can't attack you.

http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Demogorgon

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: August 19, 2010, 10:43:59 pm »

Yeah my first "almost win" was a horrible archeologist. It started off great, but when I decided to kill the wizard before I killed Vlad(I just thought the wizard had the amulet), the book fell in the water, it took me a while to figure out what happened there... and after I killed vlad I put the candlabrum in the BOH causing it to explode and destroy all of my important gear, my boots of water walking, and my levitation ring. After that I got the amulet and while trying to escape I was blocked by the water caused by the invocation ritual. So I quit. There was no way out of that pudding. Although I wasn't really mad cause I got so far.

But I still cut that priest in half without even being level 30 yet. I dont see what's the big deal about him. As a matter of fact I thought it was kind of lame that the "final boss" to the amulet was a stupid preist and not the wizard.

As for demogorgon, that doesnt sound so bad. The worst part seems to be that disease, I dont really see what the big deal is. You can engrave elbereth in one turn.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: August 20, 2010, 12:05:08 am »

Well, I absolutely creamed everything that stood in my way, and I'm now in Orcus-town. I'm a bit nervous, because although I'm strong, I feel like the wizard is going to cream my ass. Ehh, whatever.

Anyway, the main reason I'm posting is because I've now got Chameleon pet. Hehehehe, this could be interesting.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: August 20, 2010, 12:13:06 am »

Orcus is a teleporting demon who's only remarkable feature is that he has a wand of death. Be sure to camp on the up-stairs so that he can't run away.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: August 20, 2010, 12:27:44 am »

He's dead. The only thing he really did was zap me with the WoD to no effect and teleport away whenever he got a scratch or two. :P

Also: Two things, my Chameleon died to a meat golem... And Polymorphing your pets is a baaaad idea. *Facepalm*

Anyway, I'm now at the top of the Wizard's tower (but not in it).

Edit: And now I'm in Vlad's tower. Time to say hi to Vlad.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:31:55 am by Tarran »

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: August 20, 2010, 12:37:02 am »

Even if you know FoD, carry wands of death anyways. Even under the best circumstances FoD will have a failure rate above 0 and costs a fuckload of mana to use. And even if you have the Eye, you could be like me and forget the spell while ascending. Whoops!
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: August 20, 2010, 12:39:21 am »

Demogorgon is the nastyiest monster in the game in my opinon,his sting has a drain effect and his claws have disease and stun effect,he is very fast and can summon nasties and is like a fucking tank.But he is a secret monster and can only be summoned by Orcus and a few other things.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:45:09 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: August 20, 2010, 12:41:05 am »

Even under the best circumstances FoD will have a failure rate above 0
...Then why do I have a 0% failure rate? ???

and costs a fuckload of mana to use.
I have way more then a fuckload of mana for use (239).

you could be like me and forget the spell while ascending.
I'm carrying the spellbook with me. It's highly unlikely I'll forget it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: August 20, 2010, 12:48:23 am »

Tarran has learned well. I just hope he realizes that the run from the bottom of Gehennom to the Astral Plane is going to be many times more frantic and dangerous than anything he's encountered thus far.

Though, it's really hard to go wrong with a Wizard FoD'ing everything that gets in his way.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: August 20, 2010, 12:51:31 am »

Tarran has learned well. I just hope he realizes that the run from the bottom of Gehennom to the Astral Plane is going to be many times more frantic and dangerous than anything he's encountered thus far.
I'm sure it will.

No, I'm not being sarcastic if you're reading it that way.

Though, it's really hard to go wrong with a Wizard FoD'ing everything that gets in his way.
Don't forget the +6 Magicbane, charm monster, dig and magic missiles!

Anyway, Vlad's seen his last da-HOLY CRAP WHY ARE THERE SO MANY MONSTERS IN THE WIZARD'S TOWER?!

Oh, it's a zoo... A really, really dangerous one at that.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: August 20, 2010, 01:21:27 am »

Weird, I had a 3% failure on FoD and remember never being able to get rid of it. Then again, I don't think I went to Expert in attack magic and I think I was wearing a hard helmet, so whatever.

You'll still want the wands, though. Even blasting death rays every turn, moving around in the Astral realm is tough simply because of the number of monsters, not even getting into the fact a lot of them summon more monsters. And even with the Eye, FoD every turn adds up. Then again, as long as you're not FoD'ing everything that moves, you should be very fine. Spam Fireball and you'll be fine.

Oh, and remember you can pray! After long trips in Gehennom, it's easy to forget about praying.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 128