Not even close.
- 391 (73.4%)
Almost . . . but didn't
- 26 (4.9%)
Maybe managed halfway
- 51 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 530

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 128

Author Topic: Nethack  (Read 175638 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: Nethack
« Reply #1125 on: June 05, 2010, 02:37:47 am »

It's always a mob of soldier ants that kills me, usually in combination with a trap door.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: June 05, 2010, 02:45:49 am »

The farthest I've gotten is to the fort, minimal save scumming (can't remember what I scummed for). Though I don't have the courage to continue. :-\
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: June 05, 2010, 02:48:03 am »

My best character was an Orc barbarian who got almost to the end of the gnomish mines. Hit a teleport trap, got teleported back to Minetown, and got killed by an ARCH-LICH. :o

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: June 05, 2010, 02:49:48 am »

My best character was an Orc barbarian who got almost to the end of the gnomish mines. Hit a teleport trap, got teleported back to Minetown, and got killed by an ARCH-LICH. :o
I bet it was a chameleon. :P
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: June 05, 2010, 03:00:41 am »

I bet it was a chameleon. :P

Id the Random Number of Generating was a deity that occurs in the myths of the Net of Hacking. Id was most often depicted as a chameleon and was associated with chaos, death, gambling, and situational irony.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: June 05, 2010, 03:50:38 am »

Dwarf Fortress gives you a new appreciation for eating elf corpses as a dwarf.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: June 05, 2010, 05:09:00 am »

You feel wide awake!

(hopefully not sober)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: June 10, 2010, 10:29:58 pm »

>_>

<_<

How do I get my kitten to follow me downstairs?
Get it on a adjacent tile.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: July 28, 2010, 08:59:03 pm »

This says it all:

No  Points     Name                                                   Hp [max]
  1      14496  Matias-Ran-Hum-Mal-Cha was poisoned in Sokoban on
                level 3 [max 8].  Poisoned by an orcish arrow.          -  [68]

Got the last puzzle done, going to the zoo and BOH with my dog. I unlock the door and guess what? An orcish archer opens it for his buddies. I retreated and opened fire with my bow, but the FIRST ARROW that comes back hits me. "The poison was deadly." Goodbye personal record. Things were going my way before that too. I was fast and invisible (and playing on a full moon) and my large dog was fast. I was also displaced but invisibility overrides that.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 28, 2010, 09:54:05 pm »

Poison instant death is why I hate Nethack so much.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 28, 2010, 09:56:06 pm »

Don't worry, it's basically the game saying "Well, you clearly aren't paranoid enough".

By the way, you aren't paranoid enough. You should've camped that corner like noone's business.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: July 28, 2010, 10:27:12 pm »

Don't worry, it's basically the game saying "Well, you clearly aren't paranoid enough".

By the way, you aren't paranoid enough. You should've camped that corner like noone's business.
AND you should search ten times before walking. ALWAYS! more if you are a wizard with fail searching!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 28, 2010, 10:59:18 pm »

AND you should search ten times before walking. ALWAYS! more if you are a wizard with fail searching!

Wow no wonder Nethack is such a great game...

Hmmm I think I could almost taste the sarcasm in that last breath.

The problem is that to a certain extent too much paranoia sort of takes away from the game. Though it could be worse, I've had "Invisable hallway" deaths before.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: July 28, 2010, 11:59:17 pm »

Early poison resistance can really cut down the paranoia.  A bit.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 29, 2010, 12:02:56 am »

Early poison resistance can really cut down the paranoia.  A bit.

An iota to be more exact. There's roughly alot of things to be paranoid of at any given moment. Starting the game, you automatically have a list of problems you have to solve, and not solving every single one means certain death from the things lurking in the shadows. These problems include things like "Obtain Poison Resistance" or "Obtaining reflection" or "Not starving to death". How you cope with these problems is what ultimately is the largest variable when determining the likelihood of your success.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 128