Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can carp pass through fortifications? (Or spawn indoors?)  (Read 2814 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Can carp pass through fortifications? (Or spawn indoors?)
« on: April 24, 2009, 08:36:37 am »

In my latest fortress I channeled a large river through the middle of my main meeting hall, and connected it to the carp-infested river outside with a wall of fortifications.  The channel diverted enough water from the river to dry up the downstream section of the river and air-drown all the carp and pike in that part, though the upstream section is still infested.  I had thought that the fortifications would allow water to pass while keeping anything dangerous from getting inside, but over several years a few carp have appeared inside my fortress.  I don't know if they passed through the fortifications somehow, or just appeared there.  Do carp respawn after being killed off?  And can they do so in a closed-off indoor body of water?

I probably shouldn't complain, since even if it's a bug it makes sense.  Even if a carp shouldn't be able to fit through a fortification, it makes sense that a juvenile could get through and then grow to adult size. 

So far they haven't attacked any of my dwarfs, just caused jobs canceled due to carp.  One did get into the water-operated sequencing engine for my elaborate drawbridge deathtrap and jammed up the works by preventing a floodgate from closing.  I can always cover the indoor river with grates to stop direct attacks, but the last thing I need is for my Hammer of Armok to unexpectedly halt during a seige.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can carp pass through fortifications? (Or spawn indoors?)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 08:45:48 am »

Unfortunately critters can move through fortifications when the water is under pressure. Fortifications are still great for sealing off the denizens of a magma pipe but with rivers it never seems to work.

On the bright side in the current version we don't get any new river enemies (when populations are set up I'd think you'd just see them come in off the edge,) so if you kill them all off you'll be safe.

If you're gonna try to air drown the rest of them be careful not to let lava hit the edge tile- once that's obsidian you won't get water out of it again.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:49:49 am by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 08:51:18 am »

I've had fire imps getting through fortifications in my latest fortress, so it doesn't seem impossible that carp could too as both are size 3.

I've heard it's possible for water pressure/flow to push any size creatures through fortifications (and maybe even solid walls) but this isn't what happened in my fort, as the level of magma on both sides of the fortifications had equalised several years earlier, so there was no flow or pressure to push them.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 09:00:42 am »

Ah, must have been the pressure.  I've got a pretty high flow rate through the fortifications (multi-level drop with waterfalls through fortress).

This fort is a mechanic's challenge (no military, all combat via clever mechanisms) so I can't just have marksdwarfs shooth them. Time to build an automated carp-killing machine!
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 09:40:11 am »

Well, if fortifications are simply no good for holding back creatures there's still another option that would probably keep your stuff carp free-

Since the downstream is dry you could wall that off and redirect your personal river uptake over there then close off the upstream one. I doubt flow would push the carp all the way down the river (as it obviously doesn't with normal rivers.)

Though the molding obsidian to dam the river with thing would pretty much fit your mechanical death plans in a grander way.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

schm0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 12:42:51 pm »

Ah, must have been the pressure.  I've got a pretty high flow rate through the fortifications (multi-level drop with waterfalls through fortress).

How many dwarves do you have and what is your frame rate?

I shudder at the thought of my PC trying to redirect an brook through my entire fort (let alone several Z-levels.)
schm0
-------------
Nuk: lol schm0, u r da funnay
Nuk: i lik u

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 01:34:29 pm »

How many dwarves do you have and what is your frame rate?

I shudder at the thought of my PC trying to redirect an brook through my entire fort (let alone several Z-levels.)

Currently 15 dwarves.  I'm also doing a no-immigrant challenge, other than the few immigrants the game forces on you my only population increases are from births.  FPS at the moment is about 70-80, although I expect that to drop once I get some really interesting water channeling going.

My problem at the moment is the several groups of goblin ambushers idling outside, showing no interest in my elaborate automated drawbridge deathtrap.  I had thought that several chained puppies would be enough to lure them in, but they're not interested.  Plan B involves pumps and magma.

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 03:09:23 pm »

Plan B involves pumps and magma.

...you mean Plan A, right?
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 03:29:33 pm »

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 06:17:49 pm »

hmmmmm anyone tried giving fish a pop cap then? to see if they do respawn?
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 12:28:26 am »

This fort is a mechanic's challenge (no military, all combat via clever mechanisms) so I can't just have marksdwarfs shooth them. Time to build an automated carp-killing machine!

That sounds cool, I'd really like to see it.  Have you loaded it up to the DF Map Archive?
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 01:31:02 am »

Carp and other creatures in liquids do sometimes make it through fortifications, but I don't think that it's necessarily due to pressure since it sometimes happens to creatures in pressureless (and unpumped) magma. Probably just some kind of pathing bug.

An easy fix is to make your "creature filters" two-fortifications thick (or two-grates thick, or two-bars thick). I've been making mine double-wide for a long time, and have never seen a creature make it past.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 05:25:04 am »

That sounds cool, I'd really like to see it.  Have you loaded it up to the DF Map Archive?
Seconding this. I'd love to see it!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 09:35:47 am »

Sorry, that fort was abandoned months ago.  This is a bit of a zombie thread.