Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129889 times)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10455 on: September 04, 2018, 08:05:41 pm »

what is QSPing?
Quantum Stock Pile - dumping items onto a single stockpile square.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10456 on: September 04, 2018, 10:00:28 pm »

Perhaps there's a reason why people say to forbid outside items during an attack... *facepalm*
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10457 on: September 05, 2018, 01:38:45 am »

I finally find water on the third cavern level.

3 dwarfs die of dehydration on the way there.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10458 on: September 05, 2018, 06:32:31 am »

Why were you trying to have your dwarfs drink water?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10459 on: September 05, 2018, 08:37:09 am »

what is QSPing?
Quantum Stock Pile - dumping items onto a single stockpile square.
Thanks... i always confuse the acronyms.

my dorfs always die by dehydration even if i have something to drink - they somehow seem to need water...
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10460 on: September 07, 2018, 01:59:39 am »

In my previous fort I set a garbage dump next to a pit into the magma sea, so I could get rid of corpses. What did not occur to me was that, if there are multiple drops adjacent to the dump zone, the dwarves don't know where to throw the garbage, and choose at random. So the up ramp that led directly up to the dump zone, and was the only access route to the dump, was fair game to throw the garbage at. So one of my dwarves hauled a rock all the way to the big pit of lava, climbed up the ramp to bring it right to the edge, then threw it back behind him, killing the next dwarf trying to dump garbage.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10461 on: September 08, 2018, 11:37:39 pm »

I'm making a little tunnel to aqueduct river water to an underground well. I dig my dumb ass a stack of up/down staircases just under a river, and set up a nice system of bridges and doors to control where the water goes. I even set up a pressure plate in the cistern so that the water shuts off before it starts to flood the well. It works swimmingly; literally, my miner's able to channel the river from below, then run away through the door before the water gets to him.

So far, it works great, except that it's taking forever to fill. I only notice this after letting it run a while. Why is it taking so long?

It's taking so long because I used an up/down staircase on the bottom of the stack, like an idiot, and it's flooding my trap tunnels that are just below it. I discover this once I already have one level of tunnel full of water. "Where's all that water flowing in from?" YAFacepalm.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10462 on: September 09, 2018, 12:20:06 am »

I keep forgetting about booze.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10463 on: September 09, 2018, 09:55:43 am »

I keep forgetting about booze.
Make a random head a Manager if it hasnt been the case already, that should open you the manager menu that allows you to set a standing order that keeps so and so much alcohol in the fortress at all times and auto orders production if ot goes below that.

Dwarfes without Beer, poor poor things....the nightmare, the horrible horrible nigthmare for those poor souls...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10464 on: September 09, 2018, 09:32:45 pm »

I actually did do that, but I forgot about barrels :P

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #10465 on: September 10, 2018, 05:39:20 am »

Wait, you can do that?.... how??
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10466 on: September 11, 2018, 12:14:41 pm »

"An evil cloud has drifted nearby!"

Another one? Meh, I 'm not going to burrow my dwarves this time. None of the previous clouds ever came near the fortress and we really are behind the schedule.

::Half a minute later::

"Your fortress has crumbled"
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Quicunque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10467 on: September 13, 2018, 09:28:06 am »

15 months into a new fortress, doing well, population up to 58 with 2 military squads. Just built St. Sibrek's Fortress Hospital, close to the surface so that the injured can reach it quickly, fully equipped with 6 beds, 2 tractions, 2 operating tables, soap crafting, all the trimmings. There's even a nice well in the hospital for ease of patient care & a deep cistern under the well, fed by an aquifer.

So, it's time to cut the ribbon on the shiny, new hospital... pierce the aquifer to fill the cistern. No worries, there is a drawbridge hooked up to a lever to stop the water flow once the cistern fills. Lever pulled at the perfect time... wait!, the water is still flowing!, the hospital is flooding!, all the lower levels are under water, with many soggy corpses sealed in their watery graves.

The drawbridge was built to retract, not raise. *facepalm*

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10468 on: September 13, 2018, 12:41:00 pm »

Only 6 beds won't hold even a single squad caught in an accident/AoE weapon. Build a new hospital, and make it even better! [size=8]Flooding can be a optional feature, not bug, for werebeasts.[/size]

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10469 on: September 13, 2018, 01:40:17 pm »

Only 6 beds won't hold even a single squad caught in an accident/AoE weapon. Build a new hospital, and make it even better! [size=8]Flooding can be a optional feature, not bug, for werebeasts.[/size]
my hospital was 27x27 with 24 beds and 8 traction benches and 4 OP tables. it never got finished properly.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 729