Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2142268 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10440 on: August 27, 2018, 12:33:41 pm »

Forgot about water pressure?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10441 on: August 28, 2018, 02:00:22 am »

Actually no, I thought that underground lakes would suck up any water I threw into them. One of them was my designated drinking spot.

And a brook powered waterfall thawed before I got the last floodgate in.

RWARO_GNARL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10442 on: August 28, 2018, 10:56:35 am »

Had just got twelve dwarves went though injustice system because the mayor decided to ban the export of large gems AFTER the our broker had just unloaded five years worth of large gems to the Autumn caravan.

I thought we were 'safe' because the mayor mandated the construction of 3 large gems at the time of trading. I thought it would take a while to make that many large gems and there should be enough gap before the annoying mayor ban the export again. Nope, that mayor really really love large gems.

I should've atom crushed those damn gems.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10443 on: August 28, 2018, 06:17:43 pm »

I recommend atom crushing the mayor. Less loss of profit.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

RWARO_GNARL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10444 on: August 28, 2018, 08:36:08 pm »

I'd rather not have new mayor. Large gem is manageable. A new mayor could be even more troublesome.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10445 on: August 28, 2018, 08:38:49 pm »

Or it could be someone with NO item preferences

RWARO_GNARL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10446 on: August 28, 2018, 10:03:09 pm »

Hmm, that's true. I have enough dwarves to 'reroll' anyway.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10447 on: August 29, 2018, 02:32:50 pm »

Here's the thing: crush that mayor, too.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Cracklebones

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10448 on: August 31, 2018, 12:42:03 am »

I decided for the first time in all my forts to train up a Marksdwarf Squad. Built my upper fortress around this concept. It actually came out looking much like a three tiered version of the standard fortresses main floor to a point.  The main floor was raised up two z-levels. I had alternating fortifications and walls along with two entrance gates. Trained up my usual squads of 8 axedwarves, 8 hammerdwarves along with 8 marksdwarves.

My First siege of goblinite decided to show up after some much do "encouragement" on my part [they where busy being at peace with us due to being so preoccupied with being at war with everyone but us. So I "fixed" that with some active "tourism" after some relatively boring starting years.] Set all my squads to guard the first floor and close the gates. Only I got to watch a little over half of my marksdwarves [the others finding every plausible task to evade their station order from, collecting ammo one bolt at a time, to praying to the deity of darkness and plants.] offensively dodge towards the one goblin crossbowman's fire falling down two z-levels to face all fourty invading goblins one dwarf at a time.

I still haven't tested out my wall grating plus fortification remodel in favor of my highly effective normal squad layout along with all my other tiny projects... I realize why movies didn't use marksdwarves...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10449 on: August 31, 2018, 04:29:31 pm »

They used to work!

For now I have had to resort to literally locking them in a 1x1 pillbox pointed at the enemy with lots of ammo in their quiver/inside the pillbox.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10450 on: September 03, 2018, 09:08:33 am »

Defend burrow still works for me, but I still have Pick Up Equipment tasks even then. Is there a way to disallow picking up equipment?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10451 on: September 03, 2018, 10:52:13 am »

Couple. Make all spare equipment inaccessible. Or maybe do fire drills to ensure everyone has proper equipment?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10452 on: September 04, 2018, 09:56:33 am »

Is there a way to disallow picking up equipment?

One way is to have different storage rooms for different ammo. I have one with metal masterwork bolts, which I unlock only in big sieges, or rather - unforbid the bolts, in a quantum stockpile, because the room itself is usually available for makers. The storage and others can be locked when needed.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10453 on: September 04, 2018, 11:43:38 am »

QSPing to behind door would have the advantage of not having unforbidden bolts lie there until you can get time to forbid them, I suppose, at the cost of greater infrastructure demands.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10454 on: September 04, 2018, 02:29:35 pm »

QSPing to behind door would have the advantage of not having unforbidden bolts lie there until you can get time to forbid them, I suppose, at the cost of greater infrastructure demands.
what is QSPing?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 729