Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2129994 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9915 on: November 16, 2016, 05:48:06 am »

You could deconstruct the wagon, but I think it is more awesome in the tree-house. Hehehe.

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9916 on: November 16, 2016, 06:21:14 am »

You could deconstruct the wagon, but I think it is more awesome in the tree-house. Hehehe.

The wagon's staying where it is as a reminder that wagons are not intended to be VTOL craft.  (The real reason is laziness and some level of what may be OCD, but it is also amusing to have a wagon stuck three levels up in a tree.)

Deconstructing it wouldn't help anyway, as there's a walkable floor there - all the supplies would probably just scatter around atop the tree's canopy.  I could have ordered the tree chopped down - one of the two that didn't immediately climb it was the woodcutter - but that would have likely resulted in six dead idiots.  Hurp durr, it finally dawned on me what you meant.  Unfortunately, that still would not have worked - I needed four stairs and the wagon would only provide three logs.

Edit:  I forgot to mention that the dwarfs started on a hill to the east of the apparently-a-VTOLport tree, so they were(past tense) all on solid ground initially.

Edit 2:  It was raining on arrival.  Presumably there was a lot of cloud cover.  This is why you do not attempt to fly under VFR in bad weather.  I'm guessing that dwarfs have no counterpart to the ICAO...  Do wagons even have avionics?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:36:09 pm by Moonstone_Flower »
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9917 on: November 16, 2016, 08:25:11 pm »

I just realized I forgot to set stone property of the destination stockpile of a minecart qsp.

For years, the dorfs had been playing atlas stone until I corrected the mistake.

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9918 on: November 16, 2016, 09:56:29 pm »

In a longer-running fort, one of my friends wanted me to name the cook after her.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*Facepalm*

She didn't know this before making her request.  I feel as though the universe is laughing at me.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:59:00 pm by Moonstone_Flower »
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9919 on: November 17, 2016, 05:44:45 am »

Digging, carving, building several parallel minecart kaolinite transport tracks...So I can turn them into porcelain and then use another route I have to bring the porcelain back to build site. When I have magma minecarts available.

>_>

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9920 on: November 17, 2016, 09:23:25 am »

i was wondering why my orders aren't done, until i foudn that my manager got killed during the last attack.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9921 on: November 17, 2016, 09:59:10 am »

i was wondering why my orders aren't done, until i foudn that my manager got killed during the last attack.
For a moment there, I thought you meant in real life.
But then realized what forums this was in.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9922 on: November 21, 2016, 07:13:51 pm »

If you didn't roll a bald Lallfell with that Levi server name, that's another facepalm.

I'm just.... saiyan.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9923 on: November 21, 2016, 07:53:55 pm »

If you didn't roll a bald Lallfell with that Levi server name, that's another facepalm.

I'm just.... saiyan.
Yes, he's bald. His job/class is.. uuh.. Monk I guess? Forgot the name of the class.. Was a while ago since I last played..
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:55:55 pm by Ultimuh »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9924 on: November 25, 2016, 08:59:22 pm »

I'm just.... saiyan.
Yes, he's bald. His job/class is.. uuh.. Monk I guess? Forgot the name of the class.. Was a while ago since I last played..

Bravo, sir.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Vrakanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9925 on: November 28, 2016, 10:08:35 pm »

Had a new fort chugging along nicely when i notice my 3 legendary miners are "missing" along with my mayor and legendary weaponsmith(mooded). So i immediatedly go into vamphunt lockdown. I build the special cell, i check the wiki and forums on how to find a vamp. Finally think I've found em and i lock the bugger away as a bookkeeper for all eternity. I mean they met ALL of the requirements, the signs were there. Even the rediculous abundance of job skills and socials.

Fast forward 2 months, no deaths.

Then the bastard dies of starvation. Que panic mode.
Turns out they were an immigrant uberdwarf from an old fort i retired. And were related to half my fort....

Needless to say my fort imploded on a tide of blood and angry dorfs. Got the vampire though. Buuuut with only 6 of 93 dwarves surviving i just abandoned after sealing the site with a wall, roof, and floors.

It was my dorfnobyl.
Must've been a menacing wooden dildo trap.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9926 on: November 29, 2016, 10:35:25 pm »

Was filling up a series of water reactors to power a pump stack. I usually dig out the water channels one at a time and fill them with buckets, but this time I decided to set up a water delivery system, with an inflow from the river, storage tank, and depressurizer sized to keep the reactors at the optimal 50 units of water. When I was filling up the inflow tank, though, I noticed that I'd forgotten to patch a hole in the side of the thing.

I struck galena a short time into the excavation, and the miner had got herself stuck up in the mined out ore vein when the others dug the rest of the tank downward behind her, so I just dug an escape tunnel. The water from the river rushed through the ore vein, out the escape tunnel, and had flooded a good portion of the upper level of the fortress by the time I stopped fiddling with the reactors long enough to notice the catastrophe. Luckily I'd thought to install floodgates at the intake pipe and it only got to 3/7, but sump-pumping the entire fortress and cleaning all the mud off of everything isn't gonna be fun.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

bool1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9927 on: November 30, 2016, 01:42:44 pm »

When I realized that the proper way to do multi-level rooms was to channel each level, not mine each level then channel the floor. I lost many dorfs to this method.   ::)

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9928 on: December 01, 2016, 09:08:54 am »

Finally channelled the riverbank to fill my moat.

Only, it turns out that the brook can't supply enough water. Not sure if that's because it's a scorching biome or the moat is just too big for the brook, but it's reached a steady state where the water evaporates as fast as it spreads. A third of the moat is dry and much of the rest is only 1/7 or 2/7 water.

sigh Time to build a pump stack/minecart track from the caverns...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9929 on: December 01, 2016, 11:16:16 am »

Finally channelled the riverbank to fill my moat.

Only, it turns out that the brook can't supply enough water. Not sure if that's because it's a scorching biome or the moat is just too big for the brook, but it's reached a steady state where the water evaporates as fast as it spreads. A third of the moat is dry and much of the rest is only 1/7 or 2/7 water.

sigh Time to build a pump stack/minecart track from the caverns...

I had this problem on my own map, also in a scorching biome, and then I realized.... oh... my moat has an exposed aquifer tile at the bottom of it, which offers infinite drainage...  so it's constantly draining about as fast as it fills.  Much facepalm.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 729